A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mixer for small amounts  (Read 801 times)

Offline Cavalier3024

• I Love Pizza!
Mixer for small amounts
« on: May 06, 2021, 06:13:42 AM »
Mostly I only make 0.5kg of dough (300g flour). I was wondering whether the average mixer (5 liter) would work well with such small amounts?

Any recommendations for a mixer that can do small amounts, but also strong enough for occasionally making 1kg [email protected]% hydration?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mixer for small amounts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 06:42:55 AM »
A bosch compact will do fine with 300 grams of flour.  I haven't tried 1,000 grams.   I normally use 261 grams of whole wheat, if you want,  I can try a triple size of 783 and let you know.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:38:14 AM »
A bosch compact will do fine with 300 grams of flour.  I haven't tried 1,000 grams.   I normally use 261 grams of whole wheat, if you want,  I can try a triple size of 783 and let you know.

I had a bosch compact for awhile and I remember Robyn posting that she did 1000 grams of flour in it but that she didn't fully mix in the mixer.  there are some other posts after that discussing different size batches  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20517.msg217357#msg217357

Deb

Offline artaxares

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:02:07 AM »
I find food processor to be great for small amounts of dough, better than mixers.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:27:14 AM »
I use this specially adapted fork mixer for small to large batches of stretch and fold doughs (nearly all my pizza dough). The kit comes with 7 replacement forks.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
I find food processor to be great for small amounts of dough, better than mixers.

^^^

Or by hand...
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline loch

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »
The 300 g of flour is something I'd also do my hand but if you have issues kneading a food processor will do a nice job in short order. Just be sure you don't have too big a food processor.

I have a 16 cup Breville and it's just too big to mix that small amount of dough without having to remove the top and shift the flour around with a spatula. By the time I get all of that done plus cleanup I could have hand mixed and had the dough rising.

When I've go lots to do in the kitchen I've also used my old Zojirushi bread machine with the custom setting to just mix and knead then stop. For 300 g of flour it does a great job. Would obviously do larger batches too and cleanup is really quick.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Cavalier3024

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:44:57 PM »
I found that the kitchenaid ksm175 comes with an additional 3l bowl, which I think can be helpful with small amounts. Did any one try this model? I wonder if it would strong enough for larger amounts too.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 09:21:18 PM »
Mostly I only make 0.5kg of dough (300g flour). I was wondering whether the average mixer (5 liter) would work well with such small amounts?

Any recommendations for a mixer that can do small amounts, but also strong enough for occasionally making 1kg [email protected]% hydration?

Have you tried  or looked into the Nutrimill mixer? It is pictured here next to my globe mixer. It's good for making up to 10 lbs of dough!!

Offline shawkyns

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 05:58:26 AM »
I bought a nutrimill based on what I saw on these forums., for 199, it was really worth it to at least try.  It works OK for pizza dough, but it sucks for anything high hydration, like 70pct or more just kills it, and it just ends up spinning around and not kneading dough. overall, I like my kitchenaid more for the 2kg batches I usually make, I know it will destroy the machine eventually, but it is far easier to clean than the multi-part nutrimill.  I am planning on a spiral mixer soon, as I do equal parts bread and pizza, and this seems to be the best for that application.   dont know if I will keep the nutrimill, but for 200 bucks I have gotten a lot of use out of it the last few years, even if the cleanup is a PITA

Offline andrewsiff

• Supporting Member
  • It’s generally easier to do it right
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
Im delighted with my nutrimill. I make 70% dough, maxes out at 4000 grams, or 20 dough balls. The dough is smoother and silkier than kitchen aid, though removing dough is more steps, I find it to be well worth a couple minutes.
43 years in restaurants, never worked a pizzeria, though I’ve always wanted to. Just didn’t work out.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
For small batches I use my Kitchen Aid KSM5 with a spiral dough hook I got on ebay. It's happy with very small batches, 500 grams of flour or so, 3 balls for me.  Only 325 watts so not much power and probably not much less than 60% hydration. Don't know if it has the plastic gear so I try not to put much load on it with that attachment.

Ira

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
It works OK for pizza dough, but it sucks for anything high hydration, like 70pct or more just kills it, and it just ends up spinning around and not kneading dough.

I do 85-90% hydration doughs all the time using the double hydration method with ZERO issues.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 10:04:26 PM »
I need to do double hydration as well with my spiral mixer if I go above 72

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »
I need to do double hydration as well with my spiral mixer if I go above 72

Hey Scott,
When do you add the remaining water or what percentage of water do you add first?  Do you start with say 60% hydration and mix until the pumpkin forms in the spiral and add the remaining 12% water?

Offline ChrisBJC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 04:03:43 PM »
So I'm looking for a food processor to use with pizza dough. I have a late 80's Basic Cuisinart processor, which still works, but it's motor seems to make unhappy sounds once in a while. Plus it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade it. I don't use mine all that much, occasionally for tomato sauce for pizza, hummus, and now dough. I really do not have a big budget here, so I need to stay below $100, and will use it for 500-600 gr recipes tops. I've found several "review" sites listing "Best Food Processors for making dough". I'm finding that they either list models that are no longer available, are wayy too xpensive (looking at you Breville), or seem to be in my ballpark, but suffer from poor quality (Decen), or are super hard/impossible to clean completely (Hamilton Beach for example). KitchenAid kfc3516 is mentioned here, how has that been holding up? I can make dough by hand, but some days it's a lot easier to use the processor, as my two tries have worked rather well.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 04:58:31 PM »
I keep reading here about it but I can't wrap my head around how you can use a food processor for kneading dough. Are the blades used or is there a different attachment for this process?
George

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
I keep reading here about it but I can't wrap my head around how you can use a food processor for kneading dough. Are the blades used or is there a different attachment for this process?
gdepozsgay,

I'm not sure what you may have read but these threads may be helpful:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2189.msg19289#msg19289

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18586.msg181030#msg181030

Peter

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 08:33:16 PM »
In addition to the links that Peter posted, you can use a regular blade, and some machines have a special dough blade -  it is smaller, the fins may reach out 2/3 of the way to the edge of the bowl,  and  it does not have sharp edges.  My older Cuisinart even has a dough button on the FP - I think it is a lower speed, though not dramatically lower.  I have used both the regular blade and the dough blade, and did not see a difference other than that since the dough blade is smaller, it does not work with small amounts of dough.