A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: June 2021 Monthly Challenge: Flat Earth Society  (Read 825 times)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: June 2021 Monthly Challenge: Flat Earth Society
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 10:18:41 PM »
I would love to hear more about this recipe. How the batter is formulated and how it is cooked.

I didn't measure it, just made it quickly... But I found a recipe on the internet (http://www.recettes-bretonnes.fr/galette-bretonne/recette-galette-sarrasin.html):
Buckwheat flour 330g
Water 750g
Thick salt 10g
Egg x1
Butter for cooking

They say to rest 2H in the fridge.

Cooked on a "crepiere" (thin flat large pan).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »
I didn't measure it, just made it quickly... But I found a recipe on the internet (http://www.recettes-bretonnes.fr/galette-bretonne/recette-galette-sarrasin.html):
Buckwheat flour 330g
Water 750g
Thick salt 10g
Egg x1
Butter for cooking

They say to rest 2H in the fridge.

Cooked on a "crepiere" (thin flat large pan).

Thanks - I am not sure I could find buckwheat flour around here.  Would AP flour work as well? 
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 02:25:50 AM »
Thanks - I am not sure I could find buckwheat flour around here.  Would AP flour work as well?

No problem!
AP could work, but I guess the purists would say you'd be making "crepe" instead of "galette". Buckwheat has a special flavor and a dark color which you can't get with wheat flour. Buckwheat would also be more digestible as there's no gluten.
If you go with AP, you can try to use beer in the batter (I'm not very brave on that one so I never made 100% beer, always 50/50 with milk), you'll get some desired bitterness.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 03:13:28 AM »
BTW, here's my "real" contribution  ;D
Pita bread (sourdough + 48H CF) for a Lebanese style dinner.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
No problem!
AP could work, but I guess the purists would say you'd be making "crepe" instead of "galette". Buckwheat has a special flavor and a dark color which you can't get with wheat flour. Buckwheat would also be more digestible as there's no gluten.
If you go with AP, you can try to use beer in the batter (I'm not very brave on that one so I never made 100% beer, always 50/50 with milk), you'll get some desired bitterness.

Oooooooh!  You just solved a riddle. I did not realize that galette essentially refers to the flour. When we visited France, I saw galette and crepe, but I inferred that more referred to the dish itself being savory or sweet. In other words, I thought all of the batter was the same but they called it galette when it had cheese, etc. and it was a crepe when it has fruit, Nutella, etc.  Sigh, I miss France.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »
SD hooched-up discard dough. I had 110 grams of old greyish sd in my fridge, so I threw it in a bowl with 37 g water and 90 g flour, 3 g salt (63% hydration/122% SD discard in relation to flour). Mixed it up with my fork, tried to fold at intervals but it is so sticky, waited awhile more, split it in 2, waited another while then flattened the ugly not smooth balls out and cooked on the screaming hot stovetop comal when I got hungry.  Maybe 3 hours sitting at room temp, but it's not a warm day today. 
It's very tasty, fluffy and absorbs my fragrant olive oil very well. 
I ain't throwing out SD ever again.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 01:35:55 AM »
Made dal and roti over a campfire. That’s my fiancées brother, the roti expert.

Online Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 05:17:46 AM »
SD hooched-up discard dough. I had 110 grams of old greyish sd in my fridge, so I threw it in a bowl with 37 g water and 90 g flour, 3 g salt (63% hydration/122% SD discard in relation to flour). Mixed it up with my fork, tried to fold at intervals but it is so sticky, waited awhile more, split it in 2, waited another while then flattened the ugly not smooth balls out and cooked on the screaming hot stovetop comal when I got hungry.  Maybe 3 hours sitting at room temp, but it's not a warm day today. 
It's very tasty, fluffy and absorbs my fragrant olive oil very well. 
I ain't throwing out SD ever again.
Thanks for the tip! I always look for new ways to use my discard, preferably one where any added flour is allowed to ferment for some time. I’ll have to try this one.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2021, 06:32:22 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I always look for new ways to use my discard, preferably one where any added flour is allowed to ferment for some time. I’ll have to try this one.

A very gentle handling of the dough with wet hands was required, but it might do better with a bit lower hydration, and a lot more attention to detail. I generously floured the final balls to pat them out flat.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the results.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
Bummed my plans to participate in this challenge fell through. Going to have to revisit this one on my own later. Fresh pita and hummus have been on the to-do list for a while.

Online Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
An attempt was made with texmex' recipe. Sorry I'm a day late. The amount of effort gone into this is on the same level, which is very low.  ;)

My starter is 100% wholemeal rye and 145% hydration since rye can take more water. I adjusted the recipe a little based on texmex' feedback.

Starter: 100g
Water: 25g
Flour: 90g
Salt: 3g

I mixed everything and it felt nice. A slightly stickier dough than usual. I let it rest and gave it some S&F with 30 minute intervals. After 2.5 hours I divided it into two and opened them. The first was a little thick so I used a rolling pin on the last one and made it larger. The first one had some gummy tendencies, but the second came out reasonably well. Ate it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some basil leaves. It was pretty good. Quite acidic in taste, but no bad taste. It was just a lot of sourdough, not necessarily overfermented. The discard is of course mostly spent, but not much happens in the fridge.

Baked in a carbon steel pan, reasonably hot.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:15:02 PM by Heikjo »
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H