A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sbarro's Pizza Chain in Trouble  (Read 450 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Sbarro's Pizza Chain in Trouble
« on: June 04, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »
This article details problems that have beset the Sbarro's pizza chain:

https://www.eatthis.com/news-sbarro-decline-due-to-bad-food-customers-say/

Many years ago, before the two bankruptcies that Sbarro's went through, some of us attempted to reverse engineer and clone the Sbarro's dough as it existed at the time. There is a thread where these efforts were detailed, at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2061.msg18163#msg18163

For those who liked the Sbarro's pizza, I took a stab at a clone, which I detailed at Reply 56 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2061.msg40413#msg40413

and also at Reply 67 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3985.msg40412#msg40412

Peter

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Sbarro's Pizza Chain in Trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 03:22:02 AM »
 I wouldn't say I've ever been a huge fan of theirs, but I can recall having their pizza at a mall out in Mesa, Arizona when I briefly lived out there (back in 2008-2009), and I recall it being at least decent back then. The last time I had it (and I don't even know why I bothered) was a few months ago, and I was underwhelmed to say the least. And the price for their slices has obviously gotten way out of hand, too. I'd expect to pay almost $5 for a slice of really great pizza from a more artisan-class pizzeria, but from a mall franchise? Get real. I'm not at all surprised to see that they're in decline financially. But what I have always found interesting about that chain is that they offer whole pies, as all pizzerias do, yet I can't say I've ever seen anybody order one.
 Anyway, if they did have some golden era when they actually put out good pizza, I'm curious to know what it was like, especially if people on this site thought it was good enough to try to clone at home. I'll have to look at some of those older threads.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »
I remember eating Sbarro's pizza slices back in the 1980's (perhaps even the late 1970's) and thought they were exceptional.  Good crust with gooey cheese and a simple sauce.  They were always very fresh given the constant volume of business at this particular location in downtown Toronto.  The last time I tried a slice was about 10 years ago, at this same location, and I agree with everyone who says the quality has gone downhill.  I'd also note that other menu items besides pizza, such as pastas and salads, were very popular at this particular location.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
I'd expect to pay almost $5 for a slice of really great pizza from a more artisan-class pizzeria, but from a mall franchise? Get real.

That is where I am at with them.  I recall it being a decent option way back if you were in a mall, and I don't remember cost being an issue.  Nowadays I can't justify paying what they charge - it is comical.  If there are places in Manhattan with (I assume) super high rent that can charge $1 for a passable slice, I just don't see how Sbarro can look people in the eye and charge 5x at their location in suburban Columbus OH.  For some reason, I think their whole pies are reasonably priced, but I can't remember how much - maybe $13?  I remember seeing that and thinking that I would be open to getting a whole pie sometime. 
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 03:18:35 PM »
That is where I am at with them.  I recall it being a decent option way back if you were in a mall, and I don't remember cost being an issue.  Nowadays I can't justify paying what they charge - it is comical.  If there are places in Manhattan with (I assume) super high rent that can charge $1 for a passable slice, I just don't see how Sbarro can look people in the eye and charge 5x at their location in suburban Columbus OH.  For some reason, I think their whole pies are reasonably priced, but I can't remember how much - maybe $13?  I remember seeing that and thinking that I would be open to getting a whole pie sometime.
Now I'm almost wishing I had ordered some whole pies from them back in the days when it was actually pretty decent, just to see if it was better made fresh per order. I'm guessing it probably was. Oh well. It takes a pretty damn attractive pie for me to bother ordering out for pizza at all any more, when I make what is arguably the best pizza in my town out of my own home oven, or at least to my taste. Damn this hobby! It ruins takeout pizza forever!
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
Frequently passed the NYC location near Penn Station in the 70's-80's. Had it once and my friends and I decided our money was better spent on better pizza. It was below average in NYC in those days.

wordpress