A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: When shall I add topping?  (Read 117 times)

Offline supersonic

• I Love Pizza!
When shall I add topping?
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:14:09 AM »
I'm new to pizza making, but now read a ton of how-to's. But I still haven't understood the order. Before cooking, it's essential to have sauce and cheese. But if I want to add beef, pepperoni, chicken, etc., shall I pre-cook the meat, and place it on the pizza before cooking, or after the pizza is done? And what about mushrooms, olives, tomatos, etc., shall I prepare the mushrooms and add it to the pizza before it goes into the oven? Or shall I take the pizza out during cooking?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: When shall I add topping?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:39:50 AM »
I think it depends on what you are making and how long it will be in the oven. Most of the time, I put the main toppings on the pizza before the pizza goes in the oven. Something like arugula or prosciutto goes on after the bake.

Haven't done beef, sausage I usually pre-cook but on before the bake. I have put on small pieces of sausage raw too. They need to be small enough to fully cook during the bake. When I use chicken, I poach a chicken breast gently, cut it up and then put it on also prebake. For vegetables, they are different ingredients if they go on pre-cooked or raw. A pizza with a sautéed mushroom topping is different than a pizza with thin sliced raw mushroom (luckily, I like them both).

The only thing that comes to mind that I add during the bake is pistachios when I make a Rosa pizza. Everything else is either pre-bake or post-bake.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T