A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven  (Read 10924 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2022, 07:52:13 PM »
They want $9,999 for shipping! Lol

I can't post what I think of that, it's not NSFW or for kids.

My estimated order came to over $10,000!  ;D
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »
I'm up to filling payment info and it still says $68 and free shipping - where did that price show up ?

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2022, 08:42:45 PM »
I'm up to filling payment info and it still says $68 and free shipping - where did that price show up ?

I put two in the cart. Just realized that it's one per customer.

My bad :-\
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
You might want to wait before giving out your CC # or PayPal account

Something didn't feel right about this to me.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:52:02 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »
I asked Ooni directly -

Hi Craig,

Thanks for reaching out, I hope youíre well! My name is Courtney and I work on the Ooni Experience team.

This is not legitimate retailer, thank you for bringing this to my attention! I'm going to raise this with our team and make sure they are made aware of this site so we can shut it down.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions or need help with anything else.

Thank you again,
Courtney 🍕✨
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:49 PM »
As the saying goes: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2022, 01:19:03 PM »
As the saying goes: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Aww c'mon, this is a pizza forum, everyone here hopes it's Twue, it's Twue!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
It it wasn't just a total scam to steal money, it just goes to show how easy it is to source blatant counterfeit items in China. My guess is the latter. Maybe even from the same shop that makes the real ones...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2022, 07:10:22 AM »
Ooni is going to have to keep watching carefully - as soon as the above website was shut down, a new different one popped up.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »
Question, I know Ooni and probably all other pizza oven makers have them manufactured in China. And I know in China companies are notorious for reselling stuff that's made for other companies, just unbranded and they only sell in China.  I was looking at a few sites like Aliexpress, and saw what looked to be a Koda 16, but for under $200.  Now I know there are also some that are clearly cheaply made knock-offs. But has anyone bought one of the ones that more than likely is ab Ooni oven, just minus the Ooni branding?  A few I was looking at, if you paid extra $$$ you could get your branding stamped on the oven.  I don't think companies can do much about this because of how laws are in China, but in the US? yeah, no. This is why I couldn't buy 1,000 of the ones that looked exactly like a Koda 16 and paid to have Redbeards Pizza Oven put on it and sell them in America without getting sued instantly.

I'm really pondering buying a $179 Koda 16 that's just missing the branding. I'm just too curious here, especially if it came from the same place in China that made the Koda it would be basically identical. Just without the fancy packaging and no warranty.   I know Ooni has to make money, but from what I'm finding it would seem their profit margin is WAY higher than I imagined.  I see the price if you buy 1,000 peices.  Ooni is probably getting the Koda 16's made for around $100, and selling them for $500. yikes lol.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2022, 05:40:35 PM »
there was one of those "scam" sites selling a gozney dome for $999. Wonder if it's the same thing.

Can you link the koda 16 knockoff? I've only seen one that looks like a koda 12 and it's squareish and clearly not the same
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 05:45:43 PM by mosabrina »

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2022, 05:53:56 PM »
Question, I know Ooni and probably all other pizza oven makers have them manufactured in China. And I know in China companies are notorious for reselling stuff that's made for other companies, just unbranded and they only sell in China.  I was looking at a few sites like Aliexpress, and saw what looked to be a Koda 16, but for under $200.  Now I know there are also some that are clearly cheaply made knock-offs. But has anyone bought one of the ones that more than likely is ab Ooni oven, just minus the Ooni branding?  A few I was looking at, if you paid extra $$$ you could get your branding stamped on the oven.  I don't think companies can do much about this because of how laws are in China, but in the US? yeah, no. This is why I couldn't buy 1,000 of the ones that looked exactly like a Koda 16 and paid to have Redbeards Pizza Oven put on it and sell them in America without getting sued instantly.

I'm really pondering buying a $179 Koda 16 that's just missing the branding. I'm just too curious here, especially if it came from the same place in China that made the Koda it would be basically identical. Just without the fancy packaging and no warranty.   I know Ooni has to make money, but from what I'm finding it would seem their profit margin is WAY higher than I imagined.  I see the price if you buy 1,000 peices.  Ooni is probably getting the Koda 16's made for around $100, and selling them for $500. yikes lol.

I posted the shark tank video of the bertello napoli folks. They claimed their cost fully delivered is $83 which is crazy considering the oven I believe comes with a perforated pizza peel the oven is dual-fuel with a gas burner. That's the only company I know that openly revealed their cost and its quite low. I imagine oonis costs are similar because they are built out of cost effective materials. The grade of stainless that ooni uses is not that good and tends to rust and weather easily.

Ooni spends quite a lot on advertising. I see their ads everywhere on fb

There was a promo several months back in september where REI employees could use an REI email address and promo code to buy most things on the ooni website at 40% off. That gives you an idea some of the margins. It was posted on slickdeals and it was figured out you could use a fake email you just wouldn't get a reciept or official tracking info, only text alerts.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »

The R&D costs are  what can be very high.  Once the engineering costs and machining costs are factored into the equation, in reality that $83 bucks is a lot higher.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2022, 06:46:33 PM »

The R&D costs are  what can be very high.  Once the engineering costs and machining costs are factored into the equation, in reality that $83 bucks is a lot higher.

R&D + paying employees definitely has to be factored in, but even with those Ooni & Gozney are charging too much IMHO.  Gozney's baby sized turning peel for the Roccbox is $65.    I think I paid $49 for my 12" Ooni peel.  Would have been $10 more for the proliferated one. While there's some, but can't be too much R&D that can possibly go into making a turning peel, I paid $65 for the Gozney one because I bought a Gozney oven and I have slight OCD and like products to match lol.   Also Gozney's IR gun is $50, and it's just a relabeled Chinese one.  Which you could get all day long for $20'ish.  I understand they're in business to make money, but their markups are pretty extreme for accessories. $85 for their Rocbox pizza peel's ridiculous imho, so I guess I should feel lucky my Roccbox came with it lol.

While I have no idea what Gozney spent on R&D for the Roccbox, I think this oven could have easily been $100 cheaper and they'd still be making a ton of money.  But that's just me assuming with no knowledge of anything financial lol.   And I did buy one, so it's not like ultimately I had a problem with the price.  And before the summer I plan to buy a Karu 16 with the gas burner, which will be around $1000 after tax. Which also seems really high to me.

I paid $499 for my Masterbuilt Gravity 560 smoker with free shipping. And it had to be delivered on a freight truck because it was in a huge box and weighs like 175lbs. That's how much my Roccbox was, which is tiny and light compared to this. And the Gravity has an advanced PID with Wifi & Bluetooth and ports for 4 temp probes.  Where the Roccbox doesn't have any sort of controller, just a gas burner with a knob. I know this is apples to oranges, but how are they the same price?  Masterbuilt should make a pizza oven, I love my smoker, if they made a pizza oven that worked as well as their smokers with their pricing? I would be all over it. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:48:10 PM by Quebert »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2022, 09:45:58 AM »
I paid $65 for the Gozney one because I bought a Gozney oven and I have slight OCD and like products to match lol.

Which is exactly why it costs $65 and not the $15 I paid for a 12" peel at a restaurant supply store. Both peels will make the exact same pizza. They did some research to find out just how much the convenience of all-in-one ordering and OCD are worth and that set the price.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PVPKJM4/?tag=pmak-20

Interesting a brand new koda 12 knockoff but this time on amazon. Haven't seen anything like this one on alibaba

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2022, 05:54:08 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PVPKJM4/?tag=pmak-20

Interesting a brand new koda 12 knockoff but this time on amazon. Haven't seen anything like this one on alibaba

And it has an L flame, wow lol.  As for the one you asked me about, sorry I didn't bookmark it, I did go back to try and find it.  But I'm not seeing it, the ones I am seeing aren't the same I found the other day.  I probably didn't look close enough and it was more different than I thought.  The ones I'm seeing now are pretty similar but clearly not just rebranded.

If it works, can't beat the price on the one you linked, but the description says 10-15 minutes to preheat to 932f which is definitely not true. My Koda took 25 minutes, would be epic if there was one that only took 10 or 15 for sure.  One other funny obviously lost in translation thing in the description, it says the pizza stones made of Silicon. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:57:20 PM by Quebert »

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2022, 08:41:22 PM »
And it has an L flame, wow lol.  As for the one you asked me about, sorry I didn't bookmark it, I did go back to try and find it.  But I'm not seeing it, the ones I am seeing aren't the same I found the other day.  I probably didn't look close enough and it was more different than I thought.  The ones I'm seeing now are pretty similar but clearly not just rebranded.

If it works, can't beat the price on the one you linked, but the description says 10-15 minutes to preheat to 932f which is definitely not true. My Koda took 25 minutes, would be epic if there was one that only took 10 or 15 for sure.  One other funny obviously lost in translation thing in the description, it says the pizza stones made of Silicon.

They probably used an ooni picture. I see an ooni fyra picture on aliexpress. The 16" ovens on aliexpress are 13x16 so not really different than koda 12

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Mike