A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
New York Style / Re: Got Mesh screen! Help me use it
« Last post by Josh123 on Yesterday at 10:41:26 PM »
The man told me he thinks the screens that look like Matt's are about 7 to 8 dollars a piece.

Norma

Definitely interested in learning where to purchase these
Chicago Style / Re: Chicago Thins at 600 degrees
« Last post by Chicago Bob on Yesterday at 10:38:55 PM »

Extremely delicious looking pizzas you are making there Mr. PG!  :chef:
General Pizza Making / Re: Pumpernickel or rye dough
« Last post by The Dough Doctor on Yesterday at 09:32:59 PM »
Big Dave (Ostrander) used to make a killer Ruben pizza. When we made it during our pizza seminar we made the dough using 70% regular pizza flour and 30% dark rye flour plus caramel coloring (the color of rye bread without the coloring is a muddy gray color). In calculating the dough absorption use 60% for the white flour and 70% for the rye flour. Hopefully your rye flour has been stored in the freezer or fridge, as rye flour loses flavor very quickly when stored at room temperature. Remember, rye flavor is a unique flavor not to be confused with caraway which is commonly used in rye bread.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
New York Style / Re: quietdesperation's tale of woe aka my ny pizza journey
« Last post by mitchjg on Yesterday at 09:31:43 PM »
QD:

I do not think this can be thought of as a "tale of woe" anymore.  Take a look at your early pizzas: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45793.msg460160#msg460160 and take a look at what you are making now.  Zoom! - they look great!
General Pizza Making / Re: % of starter in sourdough pizza
« Last post by mitchjg on Yesterday at 09:16:02 PM »
Since you asked about time before, with some uncertainty about the starter feeding - as JVP said, it is total time for bulk and balling.  The preceding time needed to feed your starter and make sure it is active is not in the numbers.  That depends on your starter and your feeding regimen.

I think you will be very interested in this thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202047.html#msg202047
New York Style / Re: Got Mesh screen! Help me use it
« Last post by vtsteve on Yesterday at 09:15:28 PM »
Number of squares in a 1 inch line (not in a square inch)? I counted 14 or 15 depending on how the tape was laying.

You need to hold the tape parallel to one set of wires and count (you're at 45 degrees to both) - the squares are longer on the diagonal, so you're getting a low count. It looks like about 20, using the paper ruler that I copied from yours.
switched to cracker barrel extra sharp, decided we prefer cabot which seems more assertive. the pizza ate well but didn't have that extra layer of flavor that led me to write the "in appreciation" thread. I am wondering what kabf tastes like with the new workflow.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: thanksgiving 2017
« Last post by norma427 on Yesterday at 08:53:31 PM »
Off-Topic Foods / Re: thanksgiving 2017
« Last post by norma427 on Yesterday at 08:44:56 PM »
This article that I came across today has a lot of interesting cranberry dishes:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/seasonal/28-cranberry-sauce-recipes-that-will-help-you-quit-the-canned-stuff/ss-BBvORtk?ocid=spartanntp

Peter

Some of them sound good Peter.  I still like my mom's cranberry recipe.  Think it because I had it since I was young something like liking some of the first good pizzas eaten.   :-D https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9905.msg86152#msg86152

What was made tonight for tomorrow.  Pumpkin pies, cooked Jersey sweet potatoes for candied sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and ground Cope's sweet corn for baked corn tomorrow.

Norma

General Pizza Making / Re: % of starter in sourdough pizza
« Last post by jvp123 on Yesterday at 08:37:20 PM »
THIS IS ALL VERY CONFUSING!

haha I say that in an exciting kinda way.

Let me go back to a previous post to get something right.... the chart with the times and temperatures based on the % of starter, are they total times including bulk + ball form? or just for bulk. ?

If so, how does one decide when to stop the bulk ferment and move to ball ?

J

It's total time ....

In terms of bulk/ball -- Experience may play into this, trial and error and a bit of common sense, but I've had success at 24 bulk and 24 ball.  Once you are in the ball stage you may need to adjust the temperature up or down (via moving the balls to cooler or warmer areas) based on how the dough looks in terms of fermentation - i.e. how much the dough as expanded, and, if you have a clear container, how the bubbles look from underneath.  I think the dough should have expanded by appx 1.5X  and there should be small bubbles visible from underneath.   

note - this is just a method I've used and I"m not an NP expert.  I make mostly CF NY pies.  Some do much shorter RT fermentations and possibly skip the bulk phase altogether.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T