A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 318594 times)

Offline bradtri

Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #4080 on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
A sourdough pizza Bianca I made to go along with sautéed salmon and baked sweet potato for dinner tonight. 90% hydration dough was pretty interesting to work with.
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4081 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Ive been pretty quite for the past several months. Been busy and had neck surgery the end of july.   So its time to get to work.   

Im smoking up a brisket saturday and decided to make some rolls for sandwiches.  Used the challah recipe.  Put two trays in the oven and went a couple minutes to long. Couple got burnt.

Rolled and tied half and used a kaiser stamp for tge rest.  Tied came out better.

Doing a couple tartines tomorrow and more rolls Wednesday

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:04:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4082 on: November 13, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
How did your surgery turn out? Just had full spine MRI's done last week, may be heading to the knife myself!!🤤😲
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4083 on: November 13, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »
How did your surgery turn out? Just had full spine MRI's done last week, may be heading to the knife myself!!🤤
Turned out very well.  First couple weeks were difficult but not as bad as i was expecting. Still a little sore in tge left upper shoulder/lower neck but for only 3 months after surgery its expected.   Full recovery will be 6 months.  Doc says dont do anything strenuous until then. So its hard it sit still

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4084 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Turned out very well.  First couple weeks were difficult but not as bad as i was expecting. Still a little sore in tge left upper shoulder/lower neck but for only 3 months after surgery its expected.   Full recovery will be 6 months.  Doc says dont do anything strenuous until then. So its hard it sit still
And i had c5/c6. c6/c7 fused

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4085 on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »
Hopes for a great long term outcome!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4086 on: November 13, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
Ive been pretty quite for the past several months. Been busy and had neck surgery the end of july.   So its time to get to work.   

Im smoking up a brisket saturday and decided to make some rolls for sandwiches.  Used the challah recipe.  Put two trays in the oven and went a couple minutes to long. Couple got burnt.

Rolled and tied half and used a kaiser stamp for tge rest.  Tied came out better.

Doing a couple tartines tomorrow and more rolls Wednesday

Jerry
These look great. Sounds like a teriffic meal. I hope you continue to heal well. I know from experience you have to put the work into rehabbing it and cannot get in a hurry.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline halfprice

« Reply #4087 on: November 14, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Made a couple tartines last night. I normally do an over night c/f but decide to try a 4 hour room temp.   Finished that at 1am.   This morning i finish the kaiser rolls for thanksgiving. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:05:47 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
New England grain milling and bread article
« Reply #4088 on: November 14, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
This was a very interesting article in Yankee Magazine for  Sept/Oct. Local people coming together to create a great product. May be out of place in this thread but I think it will be of interest to most folks here.  I think you can get a free read.

https://newengland.com/yankee-magazine/food/breads/on-the-rise/
Marty

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4089 on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
Heck of an article. Thanks for posting it.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4090 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »
Thank you, that was a good read. Elmore Mountain Bread has a good Instagram too. If you go back a little ways you can see where they demolished their oven and built a new one. http://instagram.com/elmoremountainbread
Tim

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4091 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
Marty,

That is a very interesting article. One of the first statements that struck me was “We carefully designed the breads to work with the oven”. The same approach applies to pizza also. And it isn’t all that easy either, as I discovered when I tried to clone pizzas that were baked in commercial ovens. Home ovens just aren’t designed to make many types of pizzas like professionals do with their commercial ovens.

Peter

Offline GualtieroIlVecchio

• Gotta Love Pizza!
« Reply #4092 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:13 AM »
It is indeed good to see a renaissance of artisan bread which is - at least in part - made from heirloom grains. Eventually the quality of the grain and the freshness of the flour comes back to mind. We've seen the same movement starting with coffee in the 80s and a few more things like craft beer, etc.. All in all I hope we will be moving towards a healthier form of nutrition again.

---
Yesterdays bread was a whole grain rye/spelt loaf and another one from a pizza dough which had been sitting in the fridge for a few days. As I didn't get to bake pizza last weekend I decided to make it a bread instead.

So, pizza certainly is not bread, but one can make quite a decent loaf of bread from pizza dough...

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4093 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
Marty,

That is a very interesting article. One of the first statements that struck me was “We carefully designed the breads to work with the oven”. The same approach applies to pizza also. And it isn’t all that easy either, as I discovered when I tried to clone pizzas that were baked in commercial ovens. Home ovens just aren’t designed to make many types of pizzas like professionals do with their commercial ovens.

Peter

Peter they have an interesting web site at
www.elmoremountainbread.com
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:57:15 AM by apizza »
Marty

Offline petef

« Reply #4094 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
This is about my 6th attempt, and my best result so far at French Bread.   
See that crust color?  Last 5 minutes, brush with 1 tsp of melted butter combined with 1/4 tsp honey, raise oven temp 50 degrees F and let it brown.

--pete--

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #4095 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
This is about my 6th attempt, and my best result so far at French Bread.   
See that crust color?  Last 5 minutes, brush with 1 tsp of melted butter combined with 1/4 tsp honey, raise oven temp 50 degrees F and let it brown.

--pete--

Nice! Just flour, water, salt, and yeast in the dough?

Offline petef

« Reply #4096 on: November 16, 2017, 07:24:35 AM »
Nice! Just flour, water, salt, and yeast in the dough?

Plus 1tsp brown sugar for proofing the Active Dry Yeast
Plus 1 TBSP diastatic malt power & 1tsp molasses.

Most delicious flavor with a slightly chewy texture.

--pete--

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4097 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »
Couldn't help but try Mitch's ciabatta rolls at post 4039. I pretty much followed his procedure. I think they were great. A few problems with consistent size but who cares.  Flavor good, texture good, more to come.
Marty

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4098 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Couldn't help but try Mitch's ciabatta rolls at post 4039. I pretty much followed his procedure. I think they were great. A few problems with consistent size but who cares.  Flavor good, texture good, more to come.

Glad you like them!!!! 

Funny you just made ciabatta rolls using the recipe I used - because I just made ciabatta rolls using a different recipe!!  I wanted to put my new mixer through a tough test and made a 90% hydration ciabatta dough in the mixer - details are here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49680.msg505311#msg505311 .  The recipe is this one: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2984/jasons-quick-coccodrillo-ciabatta-bread .  Good for turning out a very good ciabatta quickly in the same day with fast mixing - but I like the recipe you used better.

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4099 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Holy oven spring!
Hans