Pages:
Actions
  • #4081 by bradtri on 12 Nov 2017
  • A sourdough pizza Bianca I made to go along with sautéed salmon and baked sweet potato for dinner tonight. 90% hydration dough was pretty interesting to work with.
  • #4082 by halfprice on 13 Nov 2017
  • Ive been pretty quite for the past several months. Been busy and had neck surgery the end of july.   So its time to get to work.   

Im smoking up a brisket saturday and decided to make some rolls for sandwiches.  Used the challah recipe.  Put two trays in the oven and went a couple minutes to long. Couple got burnt.

Rolled and tied half and used a kaiser stamp for tge rest.  Tied came out better.

Doing a couple tartines tomorrow and more rolls Wednesday

Jerry
  • #4083 by Jackitup on 13 Nov 2017
  • How did your surgery turn out? Just had full spine MRI's done last week, may be heading to the knife myself!!🤤😲
  • #4084 by halfprice on 13 Nov 2017
  • How did your surgery turn out? Just had full spine MRI's done last week, may be heading to the knife myself!!🤤
    Turned out very well.  First couple weeks were difficult but not as bad as i was expecting. Still a little sore in tge left upper shoulder/lower neck but for only 3 months after surgery its expected.   Full recovery will be 6 months.  Doc says dont do anything strenuous until then. So its hard it sit still
  • #4085 by halfprice on 13 Nov 2017
  • Turned out very well.  First couple weeks were difficult but not as bad as i was expecting. Still a little sore in tge left upper shoulder/lower neck but for only 3 months after surgery its expected.   Full recovery will be 6 months.  Doc says dont do anything strenuous until then. So its hard it sit still
    And i had c5/c6. c6/c7 fused
  • #4086 by Jackitup on 13 Nov 2017
  • Hopes for a great long term outcome!!!
  • #4087 by foreplease on 13 Nov 2017
  • Ive been pretty quite for the past several months. Been busy and had neck surgery the end of july.   So its time to get to work.   

Im smoking up a brisket saturday and decided to make some rolls for sandwiches.  Used the challah recipe.  Put two trays in the oven and went a couple minutes to long. Couple got burnt.

Rolled and tied half and used a kaiser stamp for tge rest.  Tied came out better.

Doing a couple tartines tomorrow and more rolls Wednesday

Jerry
    These look great. Sounds like a teriffic meal. I hope you continue to heal well. I know from experience you have to put the work into rehabbing it and cannot get in a hurry.
  • #4088 by halfprice on 14 Nov 2017
  • Made a couple tartines last night. I normally do an over night c/f but decide to try a 4 hour room temp.   Finished that at 1am.   This morning i finish the kaiser rolls for thanksgiving. 

Jerry
  • #4089 by apizza on 14 Nov 2017
  • This was a very interesting article in Yankee Magazine for  Sept/Oct. Local people coming together to create a great product. May be out of place in this thread but I think it will be of interest to most folks here.  I think you can get a free read.

https://newengland.com/yankee-magazine/food/breads/on-the-rise/
  • #4090 by foreplease on 14 Nov 2017
  • Heck of an article. Thanks for posting it.
  • #4091 by timgiuffi on 14 Nov 2017
  • Thank you, that was a good read. Elmore Mountain Bread has a good Instagram too. If you go back a little ways you can see where they demolished their oven and built a new one. http://instagram.com/elmoremountainbread
  • #4092 by Pete-zza on 14 Nov 2017
  • Marty,

That is a very interesting article. One of the first statements that struck me was “We carefully designed the breads to work with the oven”. The same approach applies to pizza also. And it isn’t all that easy either, as I discovered when I tried to clone pizzas that were baked in commercial ovens. Home ovens just aren’t designed to make many types of pizzas like professionals do with their commercial ovens.

Peter
  • #4093 by GualtieroIlVecchio on 15 Nov 2017
  • It is indeed good to see a renaissance of artisan bread which is - at least in part - made from heirloom grains. Eventually the quality of the grain and the freshness of the flour comes back to mind. We've seen the same movement starting with coffee in the 80s and a few more things like craft beer, etc.. All in all I hope we will be moving towards a healthier form of nutrition again.

---
    Yesterdays bread was a whole grain rye/spelt loaf and another one from a pizza dough which had been sitting in the fridge for a few days. As I didn't get to bake pizza last weekend I decided to make it a bread instead.

So, pizza certainly is not bread, but one can make quite a decent loaf of bread from pizza dough...
  • #4094 by apizza on 15 Nov 2017
  • Marty,

That is a very interesting article. One of the first statements that struck me was “We carefully designed the breads to work with the oven”. The same approach applies to pizza also. And it isn’t all that easy either, as I discovered when I tried to clone pizzas that were baked in commercial ovens. Home ovens just aren’t designed to make many types of pizzas like professionals do with their commercial ovens.

Peter

Peter they have an interesting web site at
    www.elmoremountainbread.com
  • #4095 by petef on 15 Nov 2017
  • This is about my 6th attempt, and my best result so far at French Bread.   
    See that crust color?  Last 5 minutes, brush with 1 tsp of melted butter combined with 1/4 tsp honey, raise oven temp 50 degrees F and let it brown.

--pete--

• #4096 by invertedisdead on 15 Nov 2017
  • This is about my 6th attempt, and my best result so far at French Bread.   
    See that crust color?  Last 5 minutes, brush with 1 tsp of melted butter combined with 1/4 tsp honey, raise oven temp 50 degrees F and let it brown.

--pete--

Nice! Just flour, water, salt, and yeast in the dough?
  • #4097 by petef on 16 Nov 2017
  • Nice! Just flour, water, salt, and yeast in the dough?

Plus 1tsp brown sugar for proofing the Active Dry Yeast
    Plus 1 TBSP diastatic malt power & 1tsp molasses.

Most delicious flavor with a slightly chewy texture.

--pete--
  • #4098 by apizza on 16 Nov 2017
  • Couldn't help but try Mitch's ciabatta rolls at post 4039. I pretty much followed his procedure. I think they were great. A few problems with consistent size but who cares.  Flavor good, texture good, more to come.
  • #4099 by mitchjg on 17 Nov 2017
  • Couldn't help but try Mitch's ciabatta rolls at post 4039. I pretty much followed his procedure. I think they were great. A few problems with consistent size but who cares.  Flavor good, texture good, more to come.

Glad you like them!!!! 

Funny you just made ciabatta rolls using the recipe I used - because I just made ciabatta rolls using a different recipe!!  I wanted to put my new mixer through a tough test and made a 90% hydration ciabatta dough in the mixer - details are here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49680.msg505311#msg505311 .  The recipe is this one: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2984/jasons-quick-coccodrillo-ciabatta-bread .  Good for turning out a very good ciabatta quickly in the same day with fast mixing - but I like the recipe you used better.

Pages:
Actions