A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: rparker's NY Style Mis-adventures  (Read 59019 times)

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
Re: rparker's NY Style Mis-adventures
« Reply #1140 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »
Well after a good week starting at page 1 I finally got to page 31 and found the recipe and methodology there.  So I did my utmost best to follow it.  Thanks for all your efforts.  I will report back and what luck I have with the Page 31 Recipe....
Awesome! I can't wait to hear and see how it comes out for you.  8) 

The method on page 31 was great when it worked, but has absolutely no margin for error. The one on page 54 is "Roy-proof", more versatile and makes a much better NY Street Slice style crust.   

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1141 on: November 13, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »
Awesome! I can't wait to hear and see how it comes out for you.  8) 

The method on page 31 was great when it worked, but has absolutely no margin for error. The one on page 54 is "Roy-proof", more versatile and makes a much better NY Street Slice style crust.
Well Roy when I get to page 54 I will try that.   What fun this is and thanks again for your expertise but also your writing skills are entertaining too.

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1142 on: November 14, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
Well Roy when I get to page 54 I will try that.   What fun this is and thanks again for your expertise but also your writing skills are entertaining too.
Thank you for the very kind words. I think I would readily substitute stubborn pig-headedness in the place of expertise.  :-D 

It is indeed a good bit of fun, though I did let things get to me for too long earlier in the year.  :-[   Getting to page 54's results from page 31's results was quite a trip. A balancing act and vast amounts of luck in addition to fun and good eats. 

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1143 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
This is a day-2 bake from the next batch of the low Litner LDMP. This time 50%. I had a similar set of temps to work with except I have gotten my garage fridge up to 35.5F. The one other adjustment I made was the post-kneading BF was done at RT instead of fridge. These  two adjustments gave me better early development and allowed me to resume my bake-day protocol. Actually, I hedged my bet a little bit and added 15 minutes to the warm up, though I probably should not have.

The stretch was closer to normal. Nice to know I have that tighter stretch in my bag of tricks, though. I'll fiddle with some on purpose and see where it goes from there, maybe after I figure out the little bit of rim browning thing I'm chasing.

The bake itself was done at a higher temp, probably 525F - 530F, which was too much for my intentions of a 15" street style. It ended up with a fairly thick and crunchy bottom crisp layer. Toasted malt has it's merits, though, and it was still much nom nom. It did not win the battle of the browning, though there were some spotty successes. I may have to cave and send a it more air out to the rim, but that is last resort. I still have some room to go with this new malt, though, as long as I don't launch near 525F and expect a near 10-minute bake to not get too browned on the bottom.

Speaking of outer rims, my whole strategy when forming them is to not form them. I simply do not tough the outer edge and press a bit of air out there and hope it's enough to keep the juices off the stone. Perhaps I should actually form them? 

Oh well, today's pics.

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1144 on: November 16, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
And now for some good 'ol family fun.

What we have here are my Son's first 3 pies. He's got a presentation at skool and he chose pizza. He's a Semester away from finishing his 2-year EMT (Medic) degree, which was a 3 year thing for him as he took all his non-curriculum requirements the year before.  So why a presentation on pizza? No clue, but what the heck, right?

Anyhow, it's in either 2 or 3 weeks. He's going to load up my car (bigger than his) with all my stuff and bring it to skool and start the oven up a couple hours before he is to do his thing. He's going to give a bit of a talk and then do the pie(s). I knew of this last week and have been thinking about how best to give him launching practice and to hedge my bets that he would not ruin my stone. I decided that I would give him a short term dough on the strong side with lots of proofing for the first one. I also decided I would show and have him do a sizable outer rim on the first one in hopes it would increase chances of toppings staying on.

He did very well on the launch practice. On to the pie making, I showed him th first little bit of each step and had him finish, guiding and advising along the way. He did OK. It's the cheese pie, which I think there are 3 slices in the pic below. I just stood back and watched for the second pie, offering bits of guidance as needed. I don't think I touched it. I had him build the rim up a little less. The only goof was averted as I caught him right before the first spoon of sauce was about to hit the skin. He had not moved the skin to the peel yet. After that, he did fine and I watched him from a distance as he operated the launch with ease.

As Dads will do, I threw him in with both feet for the 3rd. I gave him the dough container and told him to have at it and took the dogs out back to play fetch. I wish the dogs would let me throw the ball for once, but that's a topic for another day.  ;D  Anyhow, after a while, I figured I would see him waltz out onto the deck with pie in hand. It didn't happen. He can be deliberate. I wonder where that comes from.   ::)   I go inside and he's just putting the last few pepperoni on. Looks pretty good, but also looked to be NOT on my peel. As luck would have it, I was having him us my dough board as that's what he would use at school. He got bummed really quick when I pointed out the goof. BUT, having done it before myself, I taught him how to launch a pie from a dough board to a peel. He was glad to know it had been done in our house before and finished the rest.

The final pie did not have great spring. part of it was extra time with sauce on it due to the extra time on the board. The other part was because I forgot to turn the oven up after he took the previous pie out. doh!!!  I remembered for the 2nd one. I even asked Mike Essen what he did with his oven for multi-bake days, what, yesterday? No harm, no foul. Too full anyhow. I ended up putting the last 6 of those slices on the screen and onto the cooling stone for 5 minutes, which helped.

And so it went all in all very well. His first everything with pizza making and he did alright. My stone is non the worse and he's got more confidence. Next week we practice again.  :chef:

More pics, too. Battery bit the dust.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:56:20 PM by rparker »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1145 on: November 17, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
great stuff roy, congrats to your son (and you) on those first efforts!
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1146 on: November 18, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
great stuff roy, congrats to your son (and you) on those first efforts!
Thanks, QD!

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1147 on: November 20, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
Man your pies rock.  Now make them with a strong fist and a same day dough like Frank Gaquinto.  Hit that dough, like you mean it with passion.
So, yesterday I made toast with pizza toppings on it. It was not intentional. To make matters worse, I baked a thicker pie, .093tf, with 389g cheese and 260g of sauce. My cheese/sauce boil thing did not do well, falling shy of the good flavor producing activity I require. This was on a 26-hour dough, which has been doing well for me. I am missing my mark on some of the heavier pies, and doing it with the same results. Toast bottom, light tops and under-done (to preference) cheese/sauce melge.

One common thread is the airiness in the bottom crust. You've mentioned quick little notes here and there, similar to above, about hitting it with some force. Slapping it while it's on the bench is that I assume you mean. I've done this with some force as late as this past summer and had some tough crust. Not good chew, but tough. There's a difference.

I will not give up my short term CF's. You've described that certain nutty flavor. I've called it "wheaty" before. A minimum short term CF helps me get this whereas before it took 4 or more days. One day isn't ideal, but at least it's not bland. Regardless of all that, I know that the longer this is in the fridge, the more liquid byproduct I will have to deal with in addition to the weakening gluten structure allows for more unwanted lift. Older doughs I can just go thinner and not worry about it so much.

All of that sort of leaves me in an iffy situation for my 1-2 day bakes. This is why I would like to hear your thoughts, strategies and adjustment points when it comes to degassing these things. If you only know from the short term, RT dough, that's good enough to start with. Any suspicions how to adjust for the next day dough is welcome.

This is an open question to anyone I guess. I've not been able to piece together any sort of consistent strategy with my degassing efforts.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1148 on: Yesterday at 05:05:18 PM »
Here's the next day bake from the really tough to chew batch. I had a couple thoughts about rescuing this with some warmth to loosen the gluten up some and posted a thread. Hermit and Mike offered a couple of thoughts and away I went.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49725.0

So, this one was the biggest I've done to date. Just like the last one that was the biggest to date, I slammed it into the back oven wall.  :-[ :-[ 

The salvage turned out great. The crumb looked bigger than I would want it, but was soft and chewy enough to not matter. As I said in the other thread, it was easily the best IDY or ADY effort I've done.

Taste was incredible. I hit that special little combination of CF and LDMP. The sauce was my normal recipe except I went with 6-in-1's instead of 7/11's. 327g of cheese broken into 150g Grande PSLM, 100g Saputo Gold, 57g BH Fresh Moz and 20g of Cabot Extra Sharp cheddar. Normal food service edition of Hormel Pepperoni and some sausage they have at RD that begins with a "D" that is just scrumptious on a pizza. 552g dough, 17-inches at .086TF. I ate half the stupid thing and am in pain.

(mods - feel free to add that thread to this one if you want. I would not have mad a new thread except I got way behind on time. I didn't mean to clutter up the board.)

Roy, do you get your (white?) cheddar at RD?  I'm looking for a source to buy larger quantities. 
Jeff

wordpress