A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 15475 times)

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:45 PM »
Hans, I've been studying up on this thread on and off all day. Mighty fine looking efforts. I'm going to do this week. I find it amazing the wide range of RTF times you can pull off with the same IDY amount.

Question #1: I'm going to use your formula from post #115. Is that 525F temp still done with the convection on?, and I assume the pan is going directly on the rack as opposed to using a stone or anything?

My efforts in the past used Full Strength. Things turned out OK. My other in-house option  this time is Pillsbury's Best Bread Flour. No idea if is good or bad. Any experience with either?   

I dig the cheese amounts. Do you double the cheese like you do with the dough, or do you do the math and have the same cheese per square inch thing going.

I'm looking forward to doing these, and will report back with pics.    :chef:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:27:58 AM by rparker »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Roy, looking forward to seeing your DS pizza.

I like to let the dough get really puffy in the pan, it gives a nice texture to the finished crust. I do regulate fermentation some by moving it around from a warm area in the house to the refrigerator if it's going too fast.

I did not use convection on#115. I use the middle rack, not on stone. I have not tried those flours. The Pillsbury Bread flour is 12.9% vs KABF at 12.7% so that should be perfect. I do double the cheese for the 10X14.

Looking forward to your photo's.
Hans

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
Thanks, Hans. I just got done kneading. I had Full Strength out and then switched to the bread flour at the very last second.  My reasoning was to remain at least in the same flour category as yours.

I made extra dough. Gonna try out a couple of other pans and types with this. Probably will freeze the other ones and just do a Detroit 8 X 10 and 10 X 14 today.

Roy

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
Sounds good Roy. Since we were talking about it I just made one myself! It will be my first in a steel pan that I just picked up from Sean (Detroit Style Pizza Company) last week.
Hans

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
Are those the same pans they've had for a year or two? If so, I'm pretty sure that's what I have. One each of the small and big.

I have two really noob questions on your kneading. Do you use a little bit of bench flour, and do you have any rough idea how long you would typically knead a double batch of large pan dough, like 1100g?

While I've had a few decent attempts at Detroit style, I've never gotten along with higher hydration dough. Mine got sticky as can be when I dropped it from the bowl. Still sticky in the pans, but that's my normal look and feel. whether it's right or wrong, I don't know.  They are active, though, and look better than I've done in the past so far.  8)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »
Not sure about the pans. I originally bought the welded PSTK pans and like them. I just bought two of the seasoned STEEL pans to try.

I do not add bench flour. I knead until it's not sticky and becomes smooth. When initially working with high hydration dough you think that there's no way it will come together but with time it does. It took me about 5-7 minutes this morning for a 280g ball.

Glad yours are looking good.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:18:13 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
The top pan is the PSTK, the bottom is the steel. I hope it comes out of the steel pan as easy as the non stick!
Hans

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing how those pans work out. Steel was not an option when I got mine.

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Success!!! Thanks, Hans!   :chef:

I'm digging it. I've not done bread flour for this before. It was soft but chewy, kind of pillow-like and/or fluffy. Very nice tasting. the crumb airholes were the smallest I've done on a Dee-troiter, but very much in line with what I expected from break flour and the slowing down of the dough proofing. 

The bottom crust almost perfect. It could have had just a tiny bit more of that little crisp thing my previous. Maybe the next shelf down. The shelf I used is not good for NY pies. Either that or the stone. Really, it's a nit. This was fantastic in everyway.

Hats off to your formulation, recipe and method. Thanks for sharing it.  8) 8)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
Roy, you're welcome. That's a great looking Detroit Style. Congrats!
Hans

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2017, 07:09:07 AM »
Thank you very much, Hans!

How did your maiden voyage and the Detroit Style Pizza Company steel pan go?

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:41 AM »
Not so good Roy. It stuck to the pan in a few spots and baked lighter than the PTSK pans. it still tasted pretty good but no crunch on the bottom. Hopefully Norma will have some advice as she uses the steel pans at the market.
Hans

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Hans. I'm sure you'll sort it out soon enough.

I'm trying to remember if I ever baked with a pan on stone. I might try that tomorrow or Saturday when I try that other dough ball from the batch. 

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
Did this a couple of weeks ago. looks quite similar to the little Ceasars commercial currently being run. I just took a single pic. We really enjoyed this recipe and will do it again this WE. Tks Hans

It's an old post but your pizza looks good, Carl. I'm interested in how you find working with dough on that tile or if you knead on some other surface. It looks nice but seems like the grout could give you trouble. Thanks in advance. I'm planning to dive into this style soon.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline csafranek

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
Well thanks to your help I think I finally nailed it HBolte!!!

Thank you again!!
Chad

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Chad, you did good. It looks awesome!
Hans

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
Same formula as post #115 but used All Trumps for the first time. It had a bit more chew and I think that the bottom stayed crispy longer. Also tried Bridgford thick cut pepperoni for the first time...kind of bland to me. Won't be using it again.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
I love the look of your DS! And, I don't like thick-cut pepperoni either (of any brand).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2017, 11:05:12 PM »
Thanks Craig.
Hans

Offline rps50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Hans,

Your Detroits look great. How do you remove the pizza from the pan?

I'm using the steel pans from Lloyds. I grease the bottom & sides with Crisco & par-bake the dough with cheese along the perimeter. After the final bake, I use a metal spatula & chisel down the sides around the perimeter to remove the pizza. Often times it can be tough getting through the burnt cheese on the sides & it messes up the crust. Any suggestions?

wordpress