Pages:
Actions
  • #121 by rparker on 10 Jan 2017
  • Hans, I've been studying up on this thread on and off all day. Mighty fine looking efforts. I'm going to do this week. I find it amazing the wide range of RTF times you can pull off with the same IDY amount.

Question #1: I'm going to use your formula from post #115. Is that 525F temp still done with the convection on?, and I assume the pan is going directly on the rack as opposed to using a stone or anything?

My efforts in the past used Full Strength. Things turned out OK. My other in-house option  this time is Pillsbury's Best Bread Flour. No idea if is good or bad. Any experience with either?   

I dig the cheese amounts. Do you double the cheese like you do with the dough, or do you do the math and have the same cheese per square inch thing going.

I'm looking forward to doing these, and will report back with pics.    :chef:

• #122 by HBolte on 11 Jan 2017
  • Roy, looking forward to seeing your DS pizza.

I like to let the dough get really puffy in the pan, it gives a nice texture to the finished crust. I do regulate fermentation some by moving it around from a warm area in the house to the refrigerator if it's going too fast.

I did not use convection on#115. I use the middle rack, not on stone. I have not tried those flours. The Pillsbury Bread flour is 12.9% vs KABF at 12.7% so that should be perfect. I do double the cheese for the 10X14.

Looking forward to your photo's.
  • #123 by rparker on 11 Jan 2017
  • Thanks, Hans. I just got done kneading. I had Full Strength out and then switched to the bread flour at the very last second.  My reasoning was to remain at least in the same flour category as yours.

I made extra dough. Gonna try out a couple of other pans and types with this. Probably will freeze the other ones and just do a Detroit 8 X 10 and 10 X 14 today.

Roy
  • #124 by HBolte on 11 Jan 2017
  • Sounds good Roy. Since we were talking about it I just made one myself! It will be my first in a steel pan that I just picked up from Sean (Detroit Style Pizza Company) last week.
  • #125 by rparker on 11 Jan 2017
  • Are those the same pans they've had for a year or two? If so, I'm pretty sure that's what I have. One each of the small and big.

I have two really noob questions on your kneading. Do you use a little bit of bench flour, and do you have any rough idea how long you would typically knead a double batch of large pan dough, like 1100g?

While I've had a few decent attempts at Detroit style, I've never gotten along with higher hydration dough. Mine got sticky as can be when I dropped it from the bowl. Still sticky in the pans, but that's my normal look and feel. whether it's right or wrong, I don't know.  They are active, though, and look better than I've done in the past so far.  8)
  • #126 by HBolte on 11 Jan 2017
  • Not sure about the pans. I originally bought the welded PSTK pans and like them. I just bought two of the seasoned STEEL pans to try.

I do not add bench flour. I knead until it's not sticky and becomes smooth. When initially working with high hydration dough you think that there's no way it will come together but with time it does. It took me about 5-7 minutes this morning for a 280g ball.

Glad yours are looking good.
  • #127 by HBolte on 11 Jan 2017
  • The top pan is the PSTK, the bottom is the steel. I hope it comes out of the steel pan as easy as the non stick!
  • #128 by rparker on 11 Jan 2017
  • I'm looking forward to hearing how those pans work out. Steel was not an option when I got mine.

• #129 by rparker on 11 Jan 2017
  • Success!!! Thanks, Hans!   :chef:

I'm digging it. I've not done bread flour for this before. It was soft but chewy, kind of pillow-like and/or fluffy. Very nice tasting. the crumb airholes were the smallest I've done on a Dee-troiter, but very much in line with what I expected from break flour and the slowing down of the dough proofing. 

The bottom crust almost perfect. It could have had just a tiny bit more of that little crisp thing my previous. Maybe the next shelf down. The shelf I used is not good for NY pies. Either that or the stone. Really, it's a nit. This was fantastic in everyway.

Hats off to your formulation, recipe and method. Thanks for sharing it.  8) 8)
  • #130 by HBolte on 11 Jan 2017
  • Roy, you're welcome. That's a great looking Detroit Style. Congrats!
  • #131 by rparker on 12 Jan 2017
  • Thank you very much, Hans!

How did your maiden voyage and the Detroit Style Pizza Company steel pan go?
  • #132 by HBolte on 12 Jan 2017
  • Not so good Roy. It stuck to the pan in a few spots and baked lighter than the PTSK pans. it still tasted pretty good but no crunch on the bottom. Hopefully Norma will have some advice as she uses the steel pans at the market.
  • #133 by rparker on 12 Jan 2017
  • Sorry to hear that, Hans. I'm sure you'll sort it out soon enough.

I'm trying to remember if I ever baked with a pan on stone. I might try that tomorrow or Saturday when I try that other dough ball from the batch. 
  • #134 by foreplease on 21 Jan 2017
  • Did this a couple of weeks ago. looks quite similar to the little Ceasars commercial currently being run. I just took a single pic. We really enjoyed this recipe and will do it again this WE. Tks Hans

It's an old post but your pizza looks good, Carl. I'm interested in how you find working with dough on that tile or if you knead on some other surface. It looks nice but seems like the grout could give you trouble. Thanks in advance. I'm planning to dive into this style soon.
  • #135 by csafranek on 03 Sep 2017
  • Well thanks to your help I think I finally nailed it HBolte!!!

Thank you again!!
    Chad
  • #136 by HBolte on 03 Sep 2017
  • Chad, you did good. It looks awesome!
  • #137 by HBolte on 11 Nov 2017
  • Same formula as post #115 but used All Trumps for the first time. It had a bit more chew and I think that the bottom stayed crispy longer. Also tried Bridgford thick cut pepperoni for the first time...kind of bland to me. Won't be using it again.
  • #138 by TXCraig1 on 11 Nov 2017
  • I love the look of your DS! And, I don't like thick-cut pepperoni either (of any brand).
  • #139 by HBolte on 11 Nov 2017
  • Thanks Craig.
Pages:
Actions