A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 4523 times)

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
A pizza sombrero if you will! I was laughing because of course...I've been there.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Just catching up in this thread, a lot of nice work in here Bob! Have you settled in on a go-to sauce yet? It's the hardest part of the pizza process for me.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks - I struggle with the sauce as well and am still working on it.  I'd like to come up with something that is both rich and complex, but without adding excessive oil/fat.  I've been playing around with roasting onions separately, then letting them marinate in my tomato sauce for several days.  Definitely a work in progress....

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
11/5 Dough

410 g Flour (90% bread flour, 10% semolina)
184 g Water (45%)
6 g IDY
6 g Salt
25 g Crisco (6%)
8 g Low diastatic malt powder
4 g Dry milk powder
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder
1/16 teaspoon onion powder

Dough Prep
6 Hour RT Ferment, dough balls stored in fridge for 3.5 days.  Well docked.

Sauce
Cento crushed tomatoes, roasted onion, 2 TBSP vodka, .5 tsp bacon grease,  oregano, , salt, sugar.

Cheese
Carfagna's Smoked Provolone, Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend, Trader Joe's 4 cheese blend, grated romano

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 6-7 minute bake dressed @ 530.

Results
I was excited to find smoked provolone behind the deli counter at Carfagna's, the Italian grocery where I usually buy my pepperoni.  I also tried simmering my regular sauce with vodka and bacon grease, inspired from an article I found on Allrecipies:

http://dish.allrecipes.com/why-is-vodka-tomato-sauce-so-dang-good/

The first pizza was just pep, all provolone.  The cheese seemed pretty oily when melted and the added smoke flavor didn't wow me.

The second pizza was pep, onion, banana peppers, extra sauce + all of the cheeses mentioned above.  I liked this cheese combination more - simply for how it melted (less oily).

The sauce was just ok.  I don't think the vodka or bacon grease added anything meaningful.  The roasted onion was good, but the sauce still needs more punch.

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Bob, You have really improved a lot, your pies are looking great! Your experiments are fun to follow along with. It seems like I should have tired the smoked provolone from Carfagna's at some point but I have no memory of it for some reason. I went back through my notes and there is no mention of it, so I'll get some on my next trip up to Cbus. Thanks for your write-ups.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:39:26 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear that the smoked provolone didn't work out.  The one I use loses all of the smoked flavor once cooked and it is only slightly more greasy than unsmoked.

I'll share how I make my sauce in case you would like to try it.   I like my sauce with more spices then what I normally see suggested.

I use the 13.76 oz Cirio Italian crushed tomatos with Basil - they come in a box.  These were highly rated by Cook's Illustrated magazine.
I add 2 tsp of oregano and 1.5 tsp of basil, and then add a heavy sprinkling of onion powder and a light sprinkling of garlic powder.   I also sometimes add some dried red pepper flakes.

Another thing I do which I really like is sprinkle over top of the finished, uncooked pizza the Pizza Seasoning made my King Arthur.   It lists onion, garlic, spices, and salt as the ingredients.   (spices seem to include basil, oregano, some red pepper)

Having those spices on top when you bite into the pizza adds some extra zing and flavor in my opinion.

Enjoy following you and your journey, thanks for sharing and best wishes.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
Thanks Meg!  My last Carfagna's visit was the first time I found the smoked prov. behind the deli counter (i.e. they would slice it for me).  I like the flavor  and have been eating it by the slice, however the subtle flavor benefit was overshadowed by it's oiliness in melted form.  I'm curious to hear your opinion of it if you ever come across it.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Ted - I'm always open to suggestion and will happily try out your sauce.  I was *this* close to buying a jar of Carfagna's pizza sauce, but decided it's much more fun to experiment on my own (and with the help of others).  Thanks again!

wordpress