A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Thins at 600 degrees  (Read 2043 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: Chicago Thins at 600 degrees
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
Made the thins and they came out good, people said they loved them but I still think not crispy enough.  These were super thin, way less chew than 61% and overall I felt way better.  Still lacks the snap I'm looking for, maybe drop temps back to normal ranges so a longer bake can occur, or lower hydration even more into the mid to upper 40'.   The crust had lots of flavor, wonderful taste!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
Few more

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
few more

Overall pizza was way better, super flavorful crust, slight chew when super thin but the total crispy crust it was not.  Will still keep trying with the flour.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
awesome!!!!  love your posts and pics!  thank you!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline ipapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
Awesome pizza! What is your cheese ratio for the Galbani part skim mozz, Fontina and Percorino Romano? How does the cheese taste? I'm a newbie at pizza making.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Made the thins and they came out good, people said they loved them but I still think not crispy enough.  These were super thin, way less chew than 61% and overall I felt way better.  Still lacks the snap I'm looking for, maybe drop temps back to normal ranges so a longer bake can occur, or lower hydration even more into the mid to upper 40'.   The crust had lots of flavor, wonderful taste!

Pics are awesome PG.  Thanks!

I suggest trying one thing at a time.  First try reducing the hydration to 47-48% and see how that goes.  I don't think 600 degrees is your problem.  I cook mine on a 2Stone at anywhere from 600 to 700 degrees F. 

Keep it up and keep posting those pics!  8)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
Thanks!!!

Cheese was 70% Mozz, 25% Fontina and 5% P. Romano - has very nice flavor, typically I keep Fontina at 15% but was out of Provolone so increased Fontina.

I'm not so sure sure about the 600 degree stuff, the higher temp adds more variables that I need to watch out for such as Hydration % vs burnt crust and cheese oil off is it's not at the right age.  This crust has tons of flavor and am shocked at that, makes no sense as everyone says really flour brands don't matter.  The dough smells different and has far more flavor so I want to keep trying.  Either I'm going to lower the hydration or take temps back to the normal 475 to see if the crust will crisp up all the way through or maybe do direct on deck then finished up on screen

Crust browning 61% vs 53% shows that 53% is much closer to burning at 8 min and has black spots, 61% slight browning so the higher hydration takes longer to get to the same crust temps as the 53%.  If this goes down to say 45% and at 600 I think this crust will significantly show more burn/black spots.  I'm thinking that maybe for the "crisp" all the way through type crust can't be made at 600 and lower temps are necessary.  In any case, the crust tastes really good and will keep trying with this flour.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:56:37 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
They look great PG!

I don't think you will be able to get more crisp without going lower and slower with the bake time though. Maybe if you drop hydration more, but it's a lot easier for me to make a wetter dough and bake longer.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Going to try again with this flour:

GM Full Strength Flour #53395  (Full Strength to say the least)
Water 53%
Oil (pure OO Minerva) 3%
Salt 2.0% (Sea)
Yeast .3%

Once again a 10lb batch shut down a 30QT mixer.  Was not able to mix on speed #2 for long, total mix time about 6-7 minutes, some on #2 and the majority on #1.  Dough is just too much for my mixer to handle, but I don't have this same issue with All Trumps which has a even higher protein content.  So, dough is slightly shabby, and made my hands sore after only 12 balls.  Interesting stuff.

This time temps are going to be 475 to see if the crust will crisp all the way through.  Maybe 600 is not really the best for a "totally" crispy crust all things considered.  Dropping hydration at those temps I suspect will burn the crust while the pizza is charing up at 53% I got burnt spots.  So, here is the dough, it will be balled and CF directly for 48 and baked on Saturday.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
The shabby dough created smooth and perfect balls after 48.

Dough once again is strong and easy to deal with even after sitting on the counter for 5 hours at the end of the evening the dough handled well.  Overall the crust was less crispy at 475 and longer bake (11-12 min) vs 600 (6-8 min) and shorter bake.  Does not make a lot of sense to me but that's the result.  Dough would be perfect for folding slices and reheating (reheats very well) but not for a crispy Chicago thin.

The pizza was not crispy even with a parbake, but then laminated it was really nice and crispy, but even AP is once laminated.  Overall then only thing I like about this flour is the taste and handling, for a hand toss I bet it would be perfect.  Pizza was great, guests loved them and all and will need to think about next steps with this flour or I might go back to the Cerasota AP for the crispy crust.  I don't think higher temps add value outside of faster bake times and putting a very thin layer of crisp at the bottom of the crust (which was quite good) when using flour at this protein level.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:16:51 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
Various other Pizza's made with the dough

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
Still working with the GM Full Strength flour in an attempt to make this great tasting and handling flour a crispy Chicago thin.  2 more experiments, one at 37% and another at 43%.

GM Full Strength Flour #53395
Water 37%
Oil (pure OO Minerva) 3%
Salt 1.75% (Sea)
Yeast .3%
Sugar 1%

GM Full Strength Flour #53395
Water 43%
Oil (pure OO Minerva) 3%
Salt 1.75% (Sea)
Yeast .3%
Sugar 1%

Each dough is bulk RT for 12 hours, CF for 36.  I went to restaurant depot and got 2 small NSF containers to do the bulk ferment in.

The 37 % I suspect will be a failure as it didn't really rise most likely because I added yeast to the flour not the water, its so dry I suspect the yeast didn't get enough water, but am going to try it anyway.  The 43% was VERY nice and right at the edge of being able to create a ball in the mixer.  It needed a few squirts of water to ball up.  First pics of the 37% then 43%
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:11:19 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
And the 43%.  This one I'm hoping will handle well and create a all the way thru crispy crust.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
All of your pies look really good!

I am unclear on the thickness factor, etc.  Can you share the weight of the dough for each pie and the diameter of the pie?

Thanks
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
All of your pies look really good!

I am unclear on the thickness factor, etc.  Can you share the weight of the dough for each pie and the diameter of the pie?

Thanks

0.051, if I use the chart correctly.  A 16" is 10.2 oz.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »
Used the dough tonight and the 37% was super crispy, nearly impossible to roll out but people loved that crust.  I think I'll try again but next time put the yeast in the water, mix for a few min then add flour.  Here are a few pics and used a cutter pan.  The crust looks laminated but I did not laminate it.  This was a good crispy crust all the way through.  Baked at 475
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:29:52 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
The 43% made a really crispy crust as well that lasted a good 20-25 minutes.  People said this was the best thin crispy crust they ever had, so people had an opinion on it.  Personally I liked it too and close to the best but not sure until it gets compared to Ceresota AP.  This pizza was crispy all the way through.  Baked at 475
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:37:57 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
And a 43% docked and parbaked. 

Over all both doughs were acceptable and crispy all the way through and need more experiments.  This flour is the best handling and best tasting crust than any AP four I've had, it handles well and takes a lot of abuse. 

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
your pizzas look phenomenal!!!!  outstanding!!!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:52 PM »
Thanks, still working on them, Inverted was right about dropping the hydration.  These were crispy and man what a great flour, absolutely love the Full Strength.