A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Some days and weeks are really hard...  (Read 545 times)

Offline souspizzaiolo

Some days and weeks are really hard...
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
but I really like my job as a pizzeria owner!

Offline Frank120

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Some days and weeks are really hard...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
What's been hard for you and how have you overcome those obstacles?

Frank

Offline pizzaboi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
but I really like my job as a pizzeria owner!

If you were to share your top 5 pain points, may be some one on the forums could have some advice. It may also serve as knowledge base for others.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
If you were to share your top 5 pain points, may be some one on the forums could have some advice. It may also serve as knowledge base for others.

1-4. staffing - finding and keeping dedicated, honest, reliable, is ever going.  Pizzerias started as mom/pop with family as staff.  Those days are just about extinct and the ever scramble trying to find good people is the norm. The bigger your shop(s) and more hours/days open the more you will struggle with this issue.  It results in quality control issues and burnout of owners due to having to cover insane hours/days of prep and service.  This is why pizza, and most restaurants are mediocre to poor quality.  We pay big bucks for our creature comforts likes cars and keep them running looking in top form but for our bodies we as a culture by in large eat garbage chain low quality foods.  Most want cheap, fast, and thus support this industry and not the mom/pops in anywhere near the same numbers. CRAZY ??? ???

5. inconsistent produce- for us it is fresh basil, mushrooms, lettuce.  Freshness is all over the map in any given week and I end up sending much back.  Our customer rep then has to dig through the warehouse and bring us good stuff.  He says most pickers in the warehouse are a mess of ex cons, druggies, and mental cases, who have no care as to check what they put on trucks for delivery.  This is the norm with these places. We just found an organic source for basil that is comparable to our regular source but in the winter they do hydroponic and it lacks stoutness and is only good for one day and their other products are off the chart too expensive for us. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:25:03 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:42:47 PM »
Pizzerias started as mom/pop with family as staff.

I've often thought about this.  The pizzeria is able to run in the black when you don't really have to pay wages to mom and the kids, but then once enough time goes by that mom and pop want to retire and the eldest son is taking over, he's got to pay real wages to less-than-dedicated workers and still try to make a profit.
--pat--

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
I've often thought about this.  The pizzeria is able to run in the black when you don't really have to pay wages to mom and the kids, but then once enough time goes by that mom and pop want to retire and the eldest son is taking over, he's got to pay real wages to less-than-dedicated workers and still try to make a profit.

You had to pay the family but you could count on them and many wanted to take over after the parents retired thus they were invested in the soul to the business.  The problem now is finding people that are ok with not owning a shop but still want full time work and are artisan minded.  Money will not guarantee you good employees.  They have to believe in your product/vision for this to happen. An old German baker here was in the other day and is thinking of closing his bakery because his main person of 25 years retired and he can't find anyone to replace them.  The chain concept is the perfect replacement model - no real skill needed , no real passion needed, workers can come and go with little loss of product quality....... Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

wordpress