A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Quarry Tile on bottom and top rack  (Read 445 times)

Offline BarryofColumbia

Quarry Tile on bottom and top rack
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Good afternoon all,

So yesterday my pizza stone broke, and I am now planning to try out the quarry tiles that people talk about using in lieu of a stone. Then I had a crazy idea. Would my pizza cook quicker / better if I did a layer on the top rack as well as the layer my pizza sits on? .Essentially sandwiching my pizzas between two layers of stones? Has anyone tried this? HAS THE PIZZA GOTTEN TO MY BRAIN?!?
In Crust We Trust

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Re: Quarry Tile on bottom and top rack
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
Good afternoon all,

So yesterday my pizza stone broke, and I am now planning to try out the quarry tiles that people talk about using in lieu of a stone. Then I had a crazy idea. Would my pizza cook quicker / better if I did a layer on the top rack as well as the layer my pizza sits on? .Essentially sandwiching my pizzas between two layers of stones? Has anyone tried this? HAS THE PIZZA GOTTEN TO MY BRAIN?!?

All the floor tiles I ever tried broke quickly. You would be better off getting a cordierite plate that takes up most of the space in your oven.
I use a 3/8" steel plate above and a 1" cordierite baking plate I had custom cut to cook my pies on.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• The legend never dies
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
Good afternoon all,

Get this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CVFXFQ/?tag=pmak-20

And you won't look back.

I have this stone it is unmatched.

Offline BarryofColumbia

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
MR,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will give it a shot!

Nick
In Crust We Trust

Online csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
Well this thread didn't get truncated at <i>all</i> 🤣

Get this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CVFXFQ/?tag=pmak-20

And you won't look back.

I have this stone it is unmatched.

I was curious, do you know how long it takes for that 1" thick stone of yours to replenish the original temp it was preheated to at the time the pizza went in?
I have a .75" thick (15" round) corderite stone - a 1/4" shy of your 1" - and so far I haven't baked a ton of pies directly on it, but I've been using it as a deck for pan pizzas preheated to and baked @ 450°. At that temp after about 40 some odd minutes the stone maxes/averages @ 480° and after a 14 minute bake the stone temp will have dropped to around 410° - and it takes 20 minutes to replenish back to 480° according to my IR. I'm gonna test my 14" Lodge cast iron pizza pan as a deck today, as in theory it should replenish quicker than a stone, but in any case 20 minutes is stupid long between pies to wait on the stone and I bet a quarry tile is even worse at this.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• The legend never dies
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Well this thread didn't get truncated at <i>all</i> 🤣

I was curious, do you know how long it takes for that 1" thick stone of yours to replenish the original temp it was preheated to at the time the pizza went in?
I have a .75" thick (15" round) corderite stone - a 1/4" shy of your 1" - and so far I haven't baked a ton of pies directly on it, but I've been using it as a deck for pan pizzas preheated to and baked @ 450°. At that temp after about 40 some odd minutes the stone maxes/averages @ 480° and after a 14 minute bake the stone temp will have dropped to around 410° - and it takes 20 minutes to replenish back to 480° according to my IR. I'm gonna test my 14" Lodge cast iron pizza pan as a deck today, as in theory it should replenish quicker than a stone, but in any case 20 minutes is stupid long between pies to wait on the stone and I bet a quarry tile is even worse at this.
Honestly I have no idea since I don't own a ir thermometer. I can bake back to back no problem though.