A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: sourcing flour in Atlanta area  (Read 117 times)

Offline zare111

• I Love Pizza!
sourcing flour in Atlanta area
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
I'm in the Atlanta area (Athens to be exact) and I've been searching for months to find different flour besides the 5lb bags of KABF I get from Target every couple weeks. There are a couple Restaurant Depots near the city, but until I can figure out a way to get inside, I'm wondering if there are any other wholesalers or suppliers that I can check out for large quantities and especially higher-gluten flours than what I've been using. Anybody familiar with any sources in my neck of the woods?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: sourcing flour in Atlanta area
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:58:20 AM »
What kind of pizza/pizzas are you trying to make that you need a higher protein content flour for?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline zare111

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
I've been working on thin-crust, basically NY style dough, 63% hydration is usually what I do. I suppose I've just been curious to experiment with stronger flour and was annoyed it can't be readily found at the grocery store. I'm not looking for All Trumps level stuff necessarily, but KABF is the absolute maximum I can usually find, and that's about 12.7% protein, correct? I know vital wheat gluten can be added to achieve the effect, but I've read here and elsewhere that it lends an unsavory flavor element to the dough so I'm saving that for if I get even more desperate.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Vital wheat gluten is indeed an option and no, it doesn't add anything unsavory to the finished crust if used correctly. With your flour coming in at about 12.7% protein content (you are correct) and All Trumps coming in at approximately 14.2% protein content you will need to increase the protein content of your flour by 1.5%. Each 1% VWG that you add to your flour will increase the protein content by 0.6%, so if we divide 1.5 by 0.6 we get 2.5 which means that you will need to add 2.5% VWG to the flour you have to get a protein content equivalent to All Trumps. Two things to remember (1) Dry blend the VWG into the dry flour before adding any liquid, this is to prevent the VWG from pilling/clumping when you add the water. (2) For each percent VWG you add you MUST add additional water to compensate for the absorption properties of the VWG. The amount of water you will need to add is 1.75% for each 1% VWG, so in this case you will need to add 2.5 X 1.75 = 4.375% additional water along with the VWG.
The main reason why All Trumps is used for N.Y. type pizza is because it provides the desired chewiness to the slice. If you do not want to have the chewiness best to stay with the flour which you are presently using.

Offline zare111

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »
Hmm, okay. Do you have a recommendation for a VWG flour brand or am I safe with whatever generic thing I can find at the grocer? I'm going to have to check my math based on your formula before blending it up, I'm probably aiming for an equivalent of GM Full Strength or ADM Commander rather than >14%, but I know not all VWG are alike and assume they can thus affect the final result fairly significantly.

Relating to my original quest (and for posterity's sake in case anyone else around ATL is interested) the Dekalb Farmer's Market, which is actually a giant warehouse grocer, responded to my inquiry and actually seem to provide wholesale-sized flours to private consumers, although the customer service rep seemed to think their "Organic High-Gluten Flour" came in at 12.3%. Oh well, maybe still worth investigating for the financial value alone.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »
The General Mills Full Strength flour comes in at about 12.6% protein content, while the ADM Commander comes in at 13 to 13.3% protein content. The Full Strength flour is right about where you're presently at. The store brand VWG should work well, just be sure you're buying Vital WHEAT Gluten. There is also corn gluten which is just another word for corn protein....they're not the same and they're not interchangeable. Of the three flours being discussed here I really don't you'll see any difference in performance between them.

Offline zare111

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that about Full Strength flour! I had been led to believe it was comparable to Commander or Spring King. Well anyway, I guess to start I'll get the VWG and try it out with your All Trumps-like formula just to see how it comes out in my next bake. Thanks, Doctor!

wordpress