A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Yes, you can certainly do a 100% preferment (defined as using all the formula water in the preferment).
Petty Pizzaiolo,

There are other members who have far more experience with preferments than I so hopefully they will help you with your questions.

Peter
Between the three of those, which one will give me the softest and puffiest crust?

There is no answer to that question. Your formula, workflow, oven set-up, baking temp, etc. are all far more important to attributes such as those.

There is only one way to get the answers you're looking for, and that's to try it for yourself. What works for someone very often does not work the same way for another. There are just too many variables.
Hey Peter! So I've looked through the links you've sent and they were super helpful. I'm personally not too interested in using sourdough starter or anything like it, and I think the three that stand out to me are the biga, sponge and poolish. Between the three of those, which one will give me the softest and puffiest crust? Is there anything stopping from going with 100% preferment? Most dough recipes that I've seen seem to never get to rates that high, so I was wondering whether there was a point of diminishing returns with this. Thanks again for the insight!
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by nickyr on Today at 11:20:15 AM »
This is too pretty to eat. It's pizza art. Just wow!
Haha thanks! We ate it :-)
Off-Topic Foods / Re: penne Arrabiata sauce help needed
« Last post by quietdesperation on Today at 11:10:14 AM »
^ good call on the bronze die pasta rolls, we've been using raos, wegmans also has some interesting house brand pasta.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 11:05:15 AM »
First attempt at SSBP with a new Lloyd's 14" pan.
Have mozz/prov 50/50 blend and cheddar, with pepperoni and sausage on it.
Pretty happy with results.  Was very good.  Will definitely do again.
Only problem I had was stretching, it would tear in spots.
Might be my fault though, instructions said to stretch it in the oiled pan, and I did it on the counter.
I will try stretching in the pan next time.

Recipe used:
225g SGAP
Water  52%
IDY  1%
Salt  2%
Sugar  1.42%
Corn Oil  9.33%
Dough balls was approx. 373g for a 14" pizza.

New York Style / Re: New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16
« Last post by texmex on Today at 10:58:53 AM »
Taming the flame is part of the fun.
Who wants to turn their indoor oven on in the heat of summer? 
New York Style / Re: New York Style in an Ooni Koda 16
« Last post by jgeibel on Today at 10:39:33 AM »
I mean, you're not wrong. I do like the char I get when I bake between 650F-750F. I can't say I've done a lot of experiments comparing a bake at 550F to 750F to hold a convincing argument though. I do like the flexibility to be able to bake either neapolitan or new york. But yes, I can make a pretty similar pie in a conventional oven.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Improved Ooni Koda 16
« Last post by Essen1 on Today at 10:37:58 AM »
Essen1,

When you used your flame guard, did it take longer for the stone to heat up (initially and in between pizzas)?

If yes, by how much?

Thanks

No, it didn't. It actually heated up faster due the added insulation under the stone. I did a 20 minute preheat and the stone was already at over 800F. Burnt the bottom of the first pizza pretty bad, which went into the garbage. Had to dial it way down. After that, the stone stayed pretty much between 650 - 700F, which I prefer. Recovery time between pizzas was very good.

Hope that helps.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
wordpress