A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lucali; has anyone come close?  (Read 81854 times)

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Lucali; has anyone come close?
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2021, 11:36:40 PM »
After seeing countless interviews with him, I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty pointless trying to learn anything valuable from Mark himself about how he makes his pizzas. It's obvious he doesn't want to give up any specific details and can you blame him? In every interview I've seen he always plays coy and acts like he just throws it all together almost haphazardly and voila - out comes this magnificent pizza that people will happily wait in line for hours to eat.

I think he's much more serious and exacting then he lets on and that he put much more time and work into developing his dough than he's willing to admit. 

I agree that he is not willing to give up many details about his process but idk that we can say that he puts work and time into EXACTING his recipes. Ive heard in several videos that he doesn’t ever measure his ingredients and does it all by look and feel. I still am unsure why many on this thread have gone into so much detail and invested plenty of time into cloning something that is never consistent.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2021, 01:42:02 AM »
I think he's pretty consistent.  He comes across as being very care free and non scientific to his approach but at the end of the day I bet he follows the same recipe day in and day out because he is quite happy with the results.  I've eaten there many times and never had a bad pie.  I also half believe any video or content about recipes from anyone on the internet.  People want to clone it because they like it.  He's a high profile "celebrity" pizza guy with a very successful business.  He didn't get that way by being inconsistent!!!!!

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2021, 02:56:24 PM »
I think he's pretty consistent.  He comes across as being very care free and non scientific to his approach but at the end of the day I bet he follows the same recipe day in and day out because he is quite happy with the results.  I've eaten there many times and never had a bad pie.  I also half believe any video or content about recipes from anyone on the internet.  People want to clone it because they like it.  He's a high profile "celebrity" pizza guy with a very successful business.  He didn't get that way by being inconsistent!!!!!

Yes exactly. I would think most if not all of us here realize just how exacting good pizza-making needs to be, especially at this level. That's really the whole point of this forum.

But playing coy and having that carefree attitude is an effective way of dodging any probing questions and not having to reveal anything he doesn't want you to know. It also works into his backstory of how a "regular guy" just decided one day on a whim to make pizza for a living.

Offline fatstache

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2021, 03:51:42 PM »
So, here's my latest Lucali-style pie. Worked with some of the key characteristics of the Lucali-style dough, ie. very low hydration and no oil.

For this iteration, I ended up reducing the salt content and switching out ADY with my active sourdough culture. Note that I started making this dough Thursday of last week - I felt so bad rolling all that fermented goodness out of the dough. Definitely not identical to Lucali's, Mark is undoubtedly using commercial yeast, but I still found it familiar and overall excellent. No sourness or lactic acidic flavour - very subtle complexities.

I can't stress enough how thankful I am of this community. I owe so much to the members of the community who laid the groundwork before I got here.

Regards,

NB

Can you share the ingredients and measurements for this. It looks insane and I want to try this weekend.  Beautiful Pie.

Offline aaron_

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #304 on: July 05, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »
Here’s my attempt! Very thankful to everyone who contributed to this topic. I read all 16 pages of posts and watched many of the linked videos before attempting this. I used 60% hydration, could probably have gone a little lower. I also used 1% sugar to help with the browning, though I doubt Mark uses sugar at all. I used a sourdough starter and fermented each dough ball differently to see which would come out best. I got the best results when I took the dough balls directly out of the fridge and opened them cold. The pizza in the picture was fermented at 65°F for 12 hours, then 24 hours in the fridge. I also got good results from a straight 36 hours in the fridge with no RT fermentation. Next week I’ll try some longer CFs – up to 72 hours.

Offline Farmageddon

• Renowned Troublemaker
« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
Here's my attempt at Lucali.

I basically use Andrew Bellucci's recipe and technique (scaled for 14 inch pizzas, 90 min autolyse, 2 hour rt bulk ferment, 15 hour cold ferment, ball, 2 hour rt ferment, 72 hour cold ferment, and then let it over ferment at room temperature until the dough balls are almost completely flat, which for me was like 4-5 hours. Then I don't have to roll it out and it stretches out super easy and super thin.)

It's very crispy and flavorful. My dad said it was the best pizza he's ever had before.

Sauce is Bianca DiNapoli tomatoes passed through medium grate on a food mill, cooked for 20 minutes at lowest temperature with olive oil, garlic, oregano and fresh basil with salt. Then left in the fridge for 2 days.

Cheeses are low moisture mozzarella, Italian provolone, parmesan before bake and grana pradano grated on top at the very end after baking.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:05:04 PM by Farmageddon »

Offline zh4k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2021, 10:01:52 PM »
I also would like a recipe when you get some time.  Thanks.  If you have a basic breakdown of weights for like 4 pies to go in an oven, that'd be even better as I'm still learning all the calculations.

Offline Projectfx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »
i got on a real lucali kick last week, watched a bunch of videos and ended up winding myself up enough to break my "diet". Coming from high hydration sourdough this dough was very different to deal with but good (i would never ever roll the dough out with a pin normally).

The only ehh thing was the crust, was just too crispy, i was expecting it to be less so. Wondering if anyone can offer some tips on what the facts would be in that.

I did 60% hydration with IDY on my Ooni Koda 16, i think i would have prob gotten good results on the baking steel as well.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:22:24 PM by Projectfx »

Online SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
That looks great. I've kinda had the same issue with too much crispiness in this style pie. I'm thinking about keeping the rolling pin off the crust next time and just rolling out the inner area.

Offline Projectfx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #309 on: July 22, 2021, 09:07:11 PM »
Thanks man.
It’s got to be the oven/heat….right?
He rolls out the entire thing…we should be able to as well!! Lol