A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New pizza oven Carbon kitchen  (Read 17307 times)

Stark Pizza, newtonsapple and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New pizza oven Carbon kitchen
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2021, 08:35:17 AM »
Better results on this cook.  Warmed up the oven for about 20 minutes before starting to cook. 

All Neopolitan doughs were just under 200grams.  68% hydration.  Caputo 'Chefs Flour' 00.  About 10 hour room temp ferment and 3 day cold ferment.  Oven floor was in the 750-800ish  range

#1 Margherita, red sauce, garlic, fresh mozzarella, basil

#2 Broccolini roasted with garlic + lemon, Sausage, Red Sauce, Parm, Fresh Mozz, garlic, Calabrian oil

#3 A play on Larb.  Carmalized ground beef with soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar. Red sauce, cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella, onions, Larb meat.  Finished with mint, Peruvian teardrop peppers, red chili sauce dots.

#4 Salami. Red sauce, shredded mozzarella, peppercorn salami, a little more mozzarella, finished with hot honey.

#5 Cherry dessert pizza.  1/2 of a dough ball.  Mixture of brown sugar, butter, crushed oats, cinnamon.  Rainer cherry halves.

#6 NY pie.  All Trumps flour 58% hydration 375g dough ball.  10 hour RT bulk ferment and 3 day cold ferment.  Made a mistake with the size - should have done about 300g dough ball.  Was not happy with my stretching of this one - was uneven, too thick in spots.  First time getting oven to  a lower temp.  Launched at about 600 degrees floor temp.  Cook took just over 4 minutes, was aiming for more.  Has potential - just need to experiment a bit more.  Flavors were great.

First time turning flame dial lower than low...yea, their knobs need work, cannot see the affect of small turns of the dial as knobs are in the rear, no markings on knobs.

Once up to temp, I had kept the bottom burner on low and the top burner on low when launching.  cranked top back up between cooks.  Seemed like earlier cooks, the bottom was a bit under (IMO....guests though the bottom was perfect).  After a few cooks, bottoms of pizza got more well done - likely just more saturation of heat...maybe I need to let it warm up for longer before cooking.
Love the oven overall, very solid, well made.  It's pretty cool how I can roll out the table, oven, gas, all my equipment - knock out high quality pies...then break it all down in not much time after cooking.  Can pickup and move the oven about 45 minutes after shutting it off. 

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
Also - got the Ooni Large Modular table for my oven.  It is pretty big.  I move it under my deck out of sight when not in use.  It won't fit thru my door if I wanted to store it inside.    2 of the wheeled legs lock in place.  Nice feature = The stainless top drops in/out so I move that inside when not in use to protect it from the elements. 

Made well, however the peg to hang peel on are bigger than the hole in the Carbon peel. 

The adjustable shelves are nice but the adjustment holes are not thought out well enough.  A standard gas cannister won't fit unless the shelf is at the highest setting, then there is not much room for other items.  I noticed that the legs of the Carbon could easily scratch the stainless tabletop unless very careful when placing/removing the oven.  Heavy Duty rubber feet on the Carbon would be nice.

Had a hard time finding something 'practical' like this - Carbon could probably easily outsource their own tabletop accessory.  This was @$250.  I setup a portable plastic topped @5' folding table for my prep space.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
This table has been working great for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWED7I/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
Hooks are a personalized add-on? What do you have there? It's great!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »
Hooks are a personalized add-on? What do you have there? It's great!

Bill,

I have these in different sizes that I use everywhere around the house (the dog is not amused):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755BXLLT/?tag=pmak-20

If the surface is not ferromagnetic, I apply a piece of this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F18Z7T4/?tag=pmak-20

Fortunately, this cart is very ferromagnetic.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
Perfect...both now on my Amazon list..thanks!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
Perfect...both now on my Amazon list..thanks!

Great. Two things:

1. The adhesive metal plates are easy to cut. I never need a full piece for these hooks.
2. These are nothing like the old wimpy magnet sets from Edmunds Scientific (I used to live in that catalog!). They will cause serious injury if a body part gets between the magnet and a ferromagnetic material. I'm not saying anyone I might know was writhing on the floor in the fetal position screaming like a toddler.   

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »
Bill your table is great. looks like it was made for the carbon. Can you tell me about your shooting peel and your tuning peel? they look well made.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
Bill your table is great. looks like it was made for the carbon. Can you tell me about your shooting peel and your tuning peel? they look well made.

Thanks, Larry. Both are from GI-Metal. I simply cut the handles down for the close-quarters of the Carbon station.

The launching peel is from the Evoluzione line. The turning peel is from the Azzurra line.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2021, 12:55:53 AM »
Safety warning appreciated!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
I have the same table or at least very similar. Has the slide out basket
We just use it for moving heavy appliances from closet to kitchen.
They get used on the cart, cleaned, and then back to the closet.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2021, 09:04:12 PM »
My latest bakes at 60 seconds. I experimented with loading the pies in at 980 F. I turned these at the 12 second mark and lifted the pies off the stone with my turning peel to lightly dome the last 10 seconds to not burn the bottom. Didn't come out perfect, but it is worth a try again!

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #292 on: June 10, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »
what type of flour, hydration, fermenting on your pie?  Looks great!  getting there!!!

Offline Pizzaman106

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #293 on: June 10, 2021, 05:19:52 PM »
what type of flour, hydration, fermenting on your pie?  Looks great!  getting there!!!

I use a T85 flour called Sequoia All Purpose Flour by Cainrspring mills. The flour is listed at 11-12% protein. 64% hydration, 16 hours in bulk and 14 hours balled; all in room temp.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2021, 05:07:59 PM »
Carbon did a beautiful job on naan-like flatbread that I made for the monthly challenge. Maximum top and bottom heat gave best results - soft and tender. Baked fast and tried not to over bake. Lower/longer baking was crispier and tougher. For some reason, oval shape came out better than round. Really delicious with butter chicken and basmati rice.

Offline votross

• 👨‍🍳🔥🍕
    • www.votross.com
« Reply #295 on: June 17, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Which is better? The Ooni Koda 16 or this Carbon Oven?

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2021, 11:52:02 PM »
Don't forget the new Ooni Karu 16!!

One of my better pies tonight.   Carbon oven on the stock floor doubled up.  875f x 65s using a malted AP flour. 

Offline andrewknight

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
I have been going back and forth trying to decide what oven to get. The Gozney Dome is too long a wait, same for the new Karu 16.  I was leaning towards the Koda 16 but I think after reading this thread and seeing the pics you have convinced me to go with Carbon.  Is anybody regretting getting the Carbon vs Koda 16?

Offline votross

• 👨‍🍳🔥🍕
    • www.votross.com
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »
Is anybody regretting getting the Carbon vs Koda 16?

This is my dilemma as well. I like the Carbon Oven for the floor burner feature, but I like the Koda 16 for the larger space and L-shaped burner. I feel like the L shape will make a better environment for turning/spinning pizzas just like a real wood-fired oven.

I have no idea which one to choose.  :-\

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »
I feel like the L shape will make a better environment for turning/spinning pizzas just like a real wood-fired oven.

I'm not sure I understand this. The reason you turn/spin a pizza in a WFO is because of the uneven heat distribution from the coal bed/fire. I have no experience with any Koda ovens, but in the Carbon oven, the side-to-side heat distribution is very even. It is also easy to spin if you have developed those skills. What is challenging is being able to see how quickly the pizza is baking on the backside due to the small opening. I bake the pizza on a round Fiesoli stone on a turntable, so I can easily spin the pizza to make sure the backside isn't burning.

wordpress