A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough deflates during cold fermentation?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline PentiumIIPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough deflates during cold fermentation?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 11:43:48 PM »
With all respect, I'd press it into the pan before CF. Then bring it to RT, let it rise, top, then bake.

I was considering which method to use, and has opted to CF before pressing dough into pan, as less space is occupied in the fridge during CF, and I'm thinking that the dough will cool and warm faster without the pan. Also, I don't have a lid for my pan and wrapping it in foil is a pain.

However, I do worry if CF outside pan will work, and how easy it will be to press dough into pan afterwards, but Tom Lehmann has described the method in multiple posts I have found searching the forum, so I guess it should be safe.

Have you tried both methods? and are there any specific reasons you like doing CF in the pan better?

Offline PentiumIIPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 11:58:20 PM »
I forgot to ask, but even though the dough will CF for about 72 hours, I assume that I should knead the dough like I have been doing before, until it's smooth and nice, about 10-15 minutes by hand?

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »
Have you tried both methods? and are there any specific reasons you like doing CF in the pan better?
Take a look through Hansís thread. I think of every photo as a specific reason and each sentence as a treasure for people aspiring to make this type of pizza. Maybe you could use a damp towel in place of foil?

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 07:24:33 AM »
I forgot to ask, but even though the dough will CF for about 72 hours, I assume that I should knead the dough like I have been doing before, until it's smooth and nice, about 10-15 minutes by hand?

As I think Tom always says, you don't have to get to the smooth stage with longer ferments.

Take a look through Hansís thread. I think of every photo as a specific reason and each sentence as a treasure for people aspiring to make this type of pizza. Maybe you could use a damp towel in place of foil?

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0

I usually place the the pan into a plastic bag.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline delerious

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 10:09:29 PM »
@PentiumIIPizza Did you ever find a way to make the pan pizza dough without having it deflate?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2022, 10:50:12 PM »
@PentiumIIPizza Did you ever find a way to make the pan pizza dough without having it deflate?

He may not answer. pentium has not been on here since March 24, 2021.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline delerious

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 03:37:10 PM »
So I had the same problem as OP a few weeks ago when I made a pan pizza and let it rise before putting it in the fridge, and then it deflated in the fridge.

Yesterday I made another pan pizza and I followed the suggestion from earlier in this thread of putting it in the fridge overnight and then letting it rise at room temperature for 4.5 hours. Then when I started putting on the sauce, the dough deflated. Like it wasn't even from the weight of the sauce - once the spoon touched the dough, it sank immediately.

I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to dough. Is proofed dough supposed to deflate like this when you start to top it, or should it maintain most of its height?

wordpress