A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style Cauliflower  (Read 265 times)

Offline Yeasty Boy

Detroit Style Cauliflower
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:21:37 PM »
My wife and I are on a low carb kick until we drop about 15 pounds each. My "prize" once I reach my goal is to make a nice traditional, full-gluten Sicilian. Until then, a cauliflower pizza is all I'm allowed.  :)

I made a take on a Detroit Style

The process:

* Rice one large cauliflower head in a food processor, place in a glass lid casserole dish with a little water, and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes
* Remove and let cool uncovered
* Drain, place contents in a towel and wring out as best as humanly possible and place in a bowl
* add 1 large egg, 3/8 t salt, 1/3 cup parmesan, some dried oregano and basil to taste (no more than 1/2 t each, imo)
* Crumble one rice cake and fold into the mixture (this was my attempt to get some "lift" to the faux dough. I don't think it worked all that great, so feel free to eliminate this step.  :-D
* Place parchment paper in a 9 x 9 pan and generously oil it with olive oil
* Gently press (don't compact it) the cauliflower mixture in the pan to the edges and par-bake for 30 minutes at 425 F
* Remove from the oven and place a grate on top of the 9x9, then quickly flip it over. Let it cool, getting rid of some excess moisture

* Oil the 9 x 9 pan (without parchment this time), and drop the par-baked crust in. It will have shrunk a little, leaving room for crumbled brick cheese around the edges
* Put mozzarella over top of the remaining exposed crust. I shredded some drained WM mozz and it was great.
* Cooked cheese-only for 8 minutes @ 425, then ladled-on a cooked sauce and topped with crumbled turkey meatball and turkey pepperoni and cooked for an additional 10 minutes.
* Add a little parmesan and dried oregano at the end and it turned out great. If you can't have the real thing, cauliflower is a nice substitute.

Hudson, OH

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress