A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Elastic pizza dough  (Read 334 times)

Offline shayke

• I Love Pizza!
Elastic pizza dough
« on: July 13, 2022, 03:22:40 AM »
Hello, folks! it's been a while since I've posted here.
I'm still making my first steps in the "serious" pizza-making realm. getting better. there's still a lot to learn and improve.

lately, I'm getting the "elastic" dough phenomenon more than I'd like. when I say "elastic" - I mean that the dough feels "rubbery" and when I try to stretch it, it resists and shrinks back. It's annoying, since I do feel that I actually improved a lot in my process. The only reason I can think of is maybe I didn't let the dough rest enough at room temerature (it's summer here, and I was afraid it will get too fermented, so I turned on the air condition and maybe got it under-fermented instead?)

what is the best way to make sure my dough is at the point of fermention? are there any other reasons for the dough to turn out Elastic, even though I prepered it the same way as before? thanks! <3

can't post without a few images, so here is my latest "Romana" pizza (this time its with tuna fish sauce, for my mom who doesn't eat cheese) & another one with sweet-potato sauce base (very unique :) ):

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Elastic pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 05:32:47 AM »
Can you tell us what happens between the end of mixing and the time you try to open your dough and find that it is too elastic. What I mean is list each thing that you did with the dough and how much time until the next step.

My gut feeling is that there is not enough time between when you form the balls and when you open the dough. Depending on the formulation and temperatures, you generally need 4-6 hours with your dough balls undisturbed. Some people prefer more time. Not all of that time needs to be at room temperature.

Your pictures above look good!
-Tony

Offline shayke

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 06:10:27 AM »
Can you tell us what happens between the end of mixing and the time you try to open your dough and find that it is too elastic. What I mean is list each thing that you did with the dough and how much time until the next step.

My gut feeling is that there is not enough time between when you form the balls and when you open the dough. Depending on the formulation and temperatures, you generally need 4-6 hours with your dough balls undisturbed. Some people prefer more time. Not all of that time needs to be at room temperature.

Your pictures above look good!

Hello there, Tony! I tend to suspect you are correct.

the dough that I'm making is made like this:

* poolish --> 24 hours.
* dough kneading --> big ball --> 1-hour room temp -->48 hours fridge.
* splitting into balls --> 2 hours room temperature.

so I'm guessing the third and last stage is where I'm wrong. It's summer here in Israel, so I thought it would be enough, but I do turn the air-conditioning on. so maybe I need to give it 3-4 hours. is there any visual way to know that the dough rested enough (before trying to open it)?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 06:49:51 AM »
I am unable to answer your question about a visual way to tell as well as others here may be able to do. My advice for the most conservative and simple thing to try next is try balling your dough at the 44 hr CF mark and refrigerate 4 more hours. Then pull them and let them finish at room temperature (not to room temp) for 2 more hours.

This has the benefit of changing one thing at a time in your process rather than start fiddling with your formula. It also will be ready to eat at the same time as your previous attempt. I think this change will get you close. Try it if you like and post more photos and a description of how it went. Good luck.
-Tony

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 09:22:37 AM »
This is a simple fix... thats just an under fermented dough.    Its also why you are getting the large bubbles happening in the oven.   Just let the dough sit longer before you use it and you will have excellent pizza (it looks great already!).

Offline shayke

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 03:03:26 PM »
This is a simple fix... thats just an under fermented dough.    Its also why you are getting the large bubbles happening in the oven.   Just let the dough sit longer before you use it and you will have excellent pizza (it looks great already!).

Thanks, Scott! I'll definitely try to improve that by letting the dough rest longer! planning to test it with +1-2 hours and see how it goes :).

wordpress