A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Vevor 7.3qt for Neo style, small batch? Better option for sub $500?  (Read 475 times)

Offline eagon06

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for a small batch mixer for neo style, so higher hydration, and wondering if:

A: The Vevor can handle small batches of dough?

B: Is there a better unit out there for under $500?

Offline TheRealJonnyD

• All pizzas are beautiful.
I follow a guy on Instagram that has one. I've seen him mix pretty small batches of 80% hydration dough in it, it always seems to develop nicely. How small are we talking, though?
Jon

Offline eagon06

• I Love Pizza!
I follow a guy on Instagram that has one. I've seen him mix pretty small batches of 80% hydration dough in it, it always seems to develop nicely. How small are we talking, though?

500g

Offline TheRealJonnyD

I think it'll work, but it's an awfully bulky device to keep around for dough that can be easily mixed by hand. It's over 80lbs iirc and the bowl doesn't detach.
Jon

Offline eagon06

• I Love Pizza!
I think it'll work, but it's an awfully bulky device to keep around for dough that can be easily mixed by hand. It's over 80lbs iirc and the bowl doesn't detach.

Jeez, I didn't realize how large it is. Will definitely pass at that. Sometimes I just need more hands when I'm busy being a dad so I'm looking for some help lol.

Offline Bill/CDMX

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I will never buy a Vevor product again. I purchased a different electrical appliance from Amazon made by Vevor. All attempts to get product support from Vevor failed.  :(

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Sometimes I just need more hands when I'm busy being a dad so I'm looking for some help lol.

Have you considered a used Ankarsrum ? If you buy used, it was formerly sold in the US under a variety of names including Magic Mill, Electrolux, DLX 2000, so you should search for that and still be well under $300.  Look for the one with the rounded front, the square front is an older model.  It is built like a tank, and should easily outlive you even if bought used. In my experience, it should handle 500 grams with no problem. In addition, it has a timer that shuts off the machine, which is handy if you want to leave it alone while you monitor the kids.  BTW, it won't walk on the counter either.  Some say it is hard to get used to coming from a KA, but I didn't have any problems.  While I have Famag, which produces very slightly better dough, and is a bit quieter, the Ank is great at kneading dough. 
Current Ovens  -  Qube 16, BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   ) IM-5S,  Bosch Compact, Electrolux ( ANK
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
What's the range of batch sizes you're contemplating? Bosch universal and Nutramill Artiste are good for near 5kg, can work down to 500 though they don't shine at 500.
There are many kinds of pizza, and *Most of them can be really good.
- Eric

Offline TheRealJonnyD

Yea, 500g is doable in a Bosch or Nutrimill for sure. I feel like it mixes even better once you're 800g and above and I have done up to about 5.5kg in my Bosch universal plus. I could have done a touch more but it'd be completely relying on the splash guard at that point  :-D still pretty amazing that a machine that light is able to make that much dough. I fed an entire party of 40+ people with a single batch  :o
Jon

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
Yea, 500g is doable in a Bosch or Nutrimill for sure. I feel like it mixes even better once you're 800g and above and I have done up to about 5.5kg in my Bosch universal plus. I could have done a touch more but it'd be completely relying on the splash guard at that point  :-D still pretty amazing that a machine that light is able to make that much dough. I fed an entire party of 40+ people with a single batch  :o

Right. 500g is doable in a classic bosch universal with a hook extender or a current universal plus or artiste. But I'd rather make it in my crappy little cuisinart dlc-5.

My folks made 6 loaves of bread at a time every week for two decades in their bosch universal. Never broke down -- when the 1st born got married they got the old mixer and a new mixer was bought, and they still have it, some 35 or so years later. Dad says it's making a sound. I should go look into it.

A couple years ago the eldest bought a universal plus on the insistence of their spouse that the 1978 mixer was aesthetically displeasing, and donated the old unit to a thrift store.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 12:23:37 AM by Timpanogos Slim »
There are many kinds of pizza, and *Most of them can be really good.
- Eric