A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: List of Sources of Flours and Related Information  (Read 54569 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: List of Sources of Flours and Related Information
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »
I have 2 bags of Panhandle Milling white whole wheat flour given to me from a friend (protein nutrition content listed at 3g per 30 grams).  Does this equate to a 10% protein overall? 
I sifted it to remove the larger bran particles (Bitter? Maybe...but this is not red whole wheat, so maybe I should throw the larger bran back in there!)
 I am worried about the protein content for making pizza or bread. I believe it might help to use some VWG, which I will have to purchase... I have already checked several whole wheat topics in the specialty grains forum but I don't know much beyond having used 1/3 whole wheat in some of my earliest pizzas.  Villa Roma got me started, with the mini black egg and his WW pizzas, but I haven't taken much time getting to know the ins and outs of whole grain baking.  It seems that uber hydration is key, using a soaker, not using SD culture are all parts of the equation.

You know me and experimenting, but I would enjoy something edible for a change of pace!
Any help in this direction would be great. Should I source the VWG, and keep my newly refreshed MOBY SD (thank you again, JPB) away from it? I want to try full on whole wheat, not a hybrid.
Reesa,

In order to use the FoodSim Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.xorbook.com/, you would have to know the protein content of the Panhandle Milling white whole wheat flour, or else use a protein percent for a standard whole wheat flour. By any chance, is the flour you have the one shown in the photo at:

https://panhandlemilling.com/product/flours/whole-wheat-flour/ ?

If so, you could get in touch with Panhandle Milling, as by calling them, and ask them for the protein percent, using the contact function at:

https://panhandlemilling.com/contact-us/

It's possible that you may not be given the answer, in which case we would have to use a standard protein percent for a whole wheat flour or something lower if you sift the flour.

Peter

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2022, 04:19:21 PM »
Reesa,

In order to use the FoodSim Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.xorbook.com/, you would have to know the protein content of the Panhandle Milling white whole wheat flour, or else use a protein percent for a standard whole wheat flour. By any chance, is the flour you have the one shown in the photo at:

https://panhandlemilling.com/product/flours/whole-wheat-flour/ ?

If so, you could get in touch with Panhandle Milling, as by calling them, and ask them for the protein percent, using the contact function at:

https://panhandlemilling.com/contact-us/

It's possible that you may not be given the answer, in which case we would have to use a standard protein percent for a whole wheat flour or something lower if you sift the flour.

Peter

I entered it into the calculator at 10% using the same formulation as Santo used in the L&B discussion. 3g protein per 30 gram serving.

The photo of wheat flour you reference is their regular (red) whole wheat, I believe. Thanks for the input so far. I am off to make some soup, but will delve further into this tomorrow.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline politon

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2022, 04:31:42 PM »
I have 2 bags of Panhandle Milling white whole wheat flour given to me from a friend (protein nutrition content listed at 3g per 30 grams).  Does this equate to a 10% protein overall? 
[...]

Looks like Panhandle’s whole white wheat flour is 11.9-13%. Here is the product catalog:
https://panhandlemilling.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Product-Catalog-Aug2021-Web_compressed.pdf

[...]
To any Mafiosos out there, I am definitely not trying to clone any secret garden pies!

:-D

This calculator is helpful when trying to determine blended protein amounts:
https://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for catching the pdf document. I have added it to my Panhandle Milling entry in the list on the first page of this thread.

Should Reesa proceed, it will be interesting to compare the calculator you posted and the one created by FoodSim.

Peter

Offline politon

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2022, 10:00:06 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for catching the pdf document. I have added it to my Panhandle Milling entry in the list on the first page of this thread.

Should Reesa proceed, it will be interesting to compare the calculator you posted and the one created by FoodSim.

Peter

Peter,

Glad to help!

Regards,

--Paul

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2022, 04:01:04 AM »
Thank you, Paul.
I typed out a nice response and it failed to go through with a warning that I have been blocked. Never saw that before. :o  It also ate my response.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline politon

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2022, 04:41:50 AM »
Thank you, Paul.
I typed out a nice response and it failed to go through with a warning that I have been blocked. Never saw that before. :o  It also ate my response.

You're welcome, Reesa!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2022, 12:00:17 AM »
Thanks...
Just looked, none here.    Closest is 6.5 hours away.

I wonder if the Costco Business Center would ship to your local Costco without much or any shipping charges. Many businesses will ship store to store at no charge. Maybe even to your home for a small fee as being a member??
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 03:09:51 PM »
This post it to let everyone know that I reworked the Ardent Mills entries because one of our members noted that some of the Ardent Mills links no longer worked. Given that the opening post in this thread has around 425 links, it is inevitable that some of links are bound to become inoperative or possibly upgraded or updated by the millers. There are 145 flour millers listed in the opening post, and they come from 17 different countries, so change is inevitable. It is likely that some of the millers have gone bankrupt or otherwise ceased to operate, or were acquired or merged with other companies. When that happens, their websites will almost always reflect those changes. I will also often go to the Wayback Machine to see what, if any, information was archived there and should be retained.

My practice when discovering links that no longer work is to try to find replacements, usually by going back to the original websites to see if the companies still exist and are still producing flours for sale. The Ardent Mills situation is more complicated than most because it has operations in both Canada and the U.S., and they acquired several different companies over the years that produce flours. In making changes to the Ardent Mills entries, I tried to retain some of the information about the companies that were acquired by Ardent Mills in case members are still using flours from such companies. However, from what I have seen, it appears that Ardent Mills' current focus in its advertising and marketing is on its Canadian and U.S. websites. And, for now, all of the Ardent Mills links work.

Peter

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• A nerd with a hot rock
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »
One additional data point -- Big J milling appears to be a subset or affiliate of Honeyville.

They currently only offer Golden Loaf bread flour (exact same product sold by Honeyville) and an All Purpose flour that is probably also identical to a Honeyville product.

https://www.bigjmill.com/

wordpress