A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Connecticut mini-crawl Sunday August 19  (Read 4003 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
Re: Connecticut mini-crawl Sunday August 19
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
do we have a meeting time and place?
jeff

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
details  :-D 

I will leave time up to the two of you since you have the longer travel times

I just looked at opening times for some of the New Haven places since we don't really have a plan yet :

- Pepe's 10:30
- Sally's  3  (this is from google, their website and fb page don't appear to have times listed)
- Modern 3
- Ernies 3 (this is a lesser known place that I see a lot of local talk about, I have not been)
- Da Legna 10
- Bar 11:30
- Next Door  4:30  (on the best 10 yelp list , 5 stars (16 reviews, so probably all friends) opened about 2 months ago)

the ones that are really close to each other have very different opening times

Deb

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
thanks deb! I threw together this google map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10LwRgw1UOadCSF5u6f--UuGwBOZc4DxA&usp=sharing

edit: sorry, I've opened up access to anyone with the link
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:57:07 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
deb, how is zupardis? if you live near there, wouldn't mind starting there...
jeff

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
I like Zuppardi's.  I have been to the restaurant and had pizza from their truck (at a brewery).   I'm not sure JPB liked it as much but i'll let him chime in on that?

It was the favorite on the first CT pizza crawl, have you seen those old posts?  I'll try to dig up that post.
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »
the previous crawl  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27022.0

same week, different year & if Modern does the same week for vacation it might be closed tomorrow
Deb

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
here's our itinerary:
- Bar
- Ernies
- Zuppardos
- Next Door (stretch goal!)
jeff

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
Great afternoon with some great people.  I am stuffed. 

First stop ---   Bar  --   this place was one that I have seen recommended over and over but was my clear loser.  Not sure if intended but crust had no rise and was almost cracker like.  The sauce/cheese was very salty.   Lots of flour on the crust.    We stopped at the oven on the way out and the thermometers said 720 but I don't think our pie was baked that high.   Overall disappointing stop.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:42:21 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »
second stop :  Zuppardi's

I really like Zuppardi's, it was my favorite stop on the first CT pizza crawl.    We ordered two smalls  -- The Fresh clam and a sausage.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:49:49 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
Third stop :  Ernies.   Native tomato pie
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:49:21 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »
Fourth & final stop :  Next door    Broccoli rabe and Sausage

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:52:01 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »
so much pizza, thanks to deb for organizing and taking such wonderful photos!

bar - laughably bad
zuppardis - bar was so bad, we decided to switch the itinerary to something we knew would be good. Wonderful clam pie, better than pepes, albeit very expensive ($43.50 for a large!). Sausage pie was also great, loved the crust, wonderful house-made sausage with hints of fennel but too cheese heavy
ernies - it's a good time for tomatoes on the east coast, really well-balanced pie with a little sauce, basil and garlic. I thought the crust well-constructed but lacked a little flavor.
next door - great find by deb, open for three months. flavorful crust, delicious and complex taste profile, this is a pie for adults, instead of sweet and creamy elements,  it relies on the contrast between bitter broccoli rabe and sweet sausage. really well done!

my ranking:
1 zuppardi's clam
2 next door broccoli rabe
3 zupardi's sausage
4 ernie's native tomato

while I ranked ernies lowest, the pizza was very good indeed and wouldn't hesitate to go back.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:02:27 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
Oh man, Zuppardis looks awesome. I also really like the look of the melt at Bar. Too bad it didnt meet your expectations. Reminds me of my experience at Modern, where my undercrust was barely cooked.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:01:29 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »
They all sure look interesting Deb!  Thanks so much for the photos!

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 10:54:38 PM »
Great to be on the tour with you guys!

My preference order is right there with QD, though I was waffling on the order of 3 and 4..it's really close. Someone on the board had suggested Ernies...good call!

Bar is the pizza that cannot be spoken. OMG!  I'd rank it 10th of 5

PS...I really enjoyed the broccoli rabe and sausage pie at Next Door, but thought the sausage chunks visually too big, and too predominant..the only off-note in an otherwise very well-balanced pie  .
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:58:08 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
I am allergic to clams so didn't get to try Zuppardi's clam pie but that looked incredible and I wish I could have tried it.   All the others with the exception of the pie at Bar were really good..  I don't think I have a clear cut order of which i liked best.  if I had to pick one it would be the Broccoli Rabe/Sausage at Next door.  Zuppardi's and Ernie's a tie for second.

At Ernie's we were able to talk with the owner and he suggested the Native tomato pie .  He came to the table after to ask how we liked it.  He told us that he makes every pie himself and also the dough. 

Next Door - I found this place on Yelp.  After I suggested it I read that while the restaurant was new they are not new to pizza.  The three owners are from the Big Green Pizza Truck which has been around for a long time  (I have never had pizza from the truck).   
Deb

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »
Since the first time I've tried the rabe/sausage combo, I've been a big fan...this was an excellent version. Many places skimp on the rabe..not sure why; it's not expensive. Next Store was generous...excellent pie!

One more thing I just recalled from Bar. As Deb mentioned, they told us the oven was at 720. They also said the bake was 6 minutes. Well, not only doesn't the equation play out  :-D [size=78%],[/size][/size] but the floppy underbaked crust was the sad evidence of this bit of fiction.[size=78%]

[/size]Also, I think worth noting, and I may be incorrect here since I'm obviously no expert, but I think all of the pies on the tour, were pizzas in New Haven  ( Zupp's is in neighboring town West Haven), but were  not the well-known New Haven style pizza, apizza, baked in a coal oven. Don't tell anybody, ssssh, but I preferred these over Pepe's, Sally's, Modern...but that's just me of course. The  crowds waiting to get tables on Wooster St put me in the minority.[size=78%]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:14:30 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
Don't tell anybody, ssssh, but I preferred these over Pepe's, Sally's, Modern...but that's just me of course. The  crowds waiting to get tables on Wooster St put me in the minority.

given the number of pizza spots we wanted to visit, I'm positive we made the right decision avoiding the lines at pepes, sallys and modern. But I did feel a pang of regret driving away from Next Door and was just a wee bit tempted to swing by pepes for a take-out pie. We came to love coal oven pizza while we were dating; we ate at john's so many times, the guys used to wave us in off the line and arturo's was my standard post-basketball stop. maybe next time we can try to arrive at one of the coal oven joints 30 minutes before they open. I've had good luck at pepes with that strategy.

now our planning turns toward the US open in flushing. Thai, Szechuan, Dong Bei, korean, Southern Indian...so many options! and I might sneak in a couple of slices at the places HarryH likes.

best,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:44:45 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »

[/size]Also, I think worth noting, and I may be incorrect here since I'm obviously no expert, but I think all of the pies on the tour, were pizzas in New Haven  ( Zupp's is in neighboring town West Haven), but were  not the well-known New Haven style pizza, apizza, baked in a coal oven. Don't tell anybody, ssssh, but I preferred these over Pepe's, Sally's, Modern...but that's just me of course. The  crowds waiting to get tables on Wooster St put me in the minority.[size=78%]

yes, but remember we are not the normal pizza eating consumer.   I don't think I posted it here but I did a post in my town's local chat facebook group for New Haven Pizza recommendations but specified not Pepe, Sally or Modern.  I had quite a few responses and Bar was the most mentioned.  Zuppardi's & Ernies were mentioned but far less.   I'm not sure lines at places or general recommendations reflect what we would love for pizza.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:11:09 PM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Sorry, I got lost. ..so Bar was most mentioned..but I wasn't clear about the Facebook response re ,Sally's , Pepe's and Modern

wordpress