A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019  (Read 26858 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2022, 06:46:38 PM »
Hi, friends.
 I did some thinking, after realizing there are some formattable pizza makers in the AZ. East Valley area! I decided I need to step back learn and hone my limited skill. This before I even think about doing pizza as a business. Here are a couple of areas I want to explore.

1. Innovative menu items.
2. Start chasing the elusive dragon tail of the perfect dough. I make a pretty strong baguette, I think I will take the advice of The man himself, A.B., and start looking in that direction.
3. Explore cheese making. As a way to set my brand apart from cookie-cutter corner pizza places.

Now without further ado, I submit,

"The Cacio e Pepe Pizza Pie"
Pecorino Romano cheese (Locatelli brand), Freshly crushed black pepper, oregano, and mozzarella.
 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:54:18 PM by GumbaWill »
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »
Pizza Caprese Fresca.

I fully realize that most shops that are making fresh mozzarella daily start with fresh or frozen curds. This makes a lot of sense. That being said, I want to immerse myself in the full cheese-making experience. The supporting cast has been sourced and assembled. Saturday morning, I am hoping to source unhomogenized low-heat pasteurized whole milk. I think Whole Foods will have it. Wish me luck!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:49:11 AM by GumbaWill »
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline [email protected]

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 483
  • Location: Colorado
  • I'm just a cook.
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #422 on: June 28, 2022, 05:49:35 PM »
Look forward to hearing about it
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #423 on: July 01, 2022, 03:32:43 PM »
Pizza Caprese Fresca.
 The supporting cast has been sourced and assembled. Saturday morning, I am hoping to source unhomogenized low-heat pasteurized whole milk. I think Whole Foods will have it. Wish me luck!

The star of the production has arrived on the scene. 1 1/2 Gal. 192 ounces.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #424 on: July 01, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »
The star of the production has arrived on the scene. 1 1/2 Gal. 192 ounces.

This formula is 80% ingredients going in. The other 20% boils down (pun unintended) to experience pulling/shaping the final product. My end game ends practice.  Yield 1lb. 6 ounces
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
This formula is 80% ingredients going in. The other 20% boils down (pun unintended) to experience pulling/shaping the final product. My end game ends practice.  Yield 1lb. 6 ounces

The bake...
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline [email protected]

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 483
  • Location: Colorado
  • I'm just a cook.
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #426 on: July 01, 2022, 08:28:22 PM »
Dude, thatís not just a delicious looking pizza. Itís a work of art. Well done on the cheese. Looks amazing. Is that balsamic reduction adding the Pollock influence?

Once again. Beautiful. Bellissima!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:35:42 PM by [email protected] »
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2022, 12:06:41 AM »
Dude, thatís not just a delicious looking pizza. Itís a work of art. Well done on the cheese. Looks amazing. Is that balsamic reduction adding the Pollock influence?

Once again. Beautiful. Bellissima!

Yes, a store brought Balsamic reduction. The mozzarella came together all the way to the cut curds stage just as Serius eats  formula described. I am pretty sure I need to heat the curds up just a bit more for a smooth spherical finish. The taste was really nice And the texture was pleasing too!  As I mentioned, it's 80%, the raw ingredients used. cooked it was super creamy. The melt was on point too.
www.seriouseats.com/how-to-make-fresh-mozzarella-from-scratch-recipe
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:09:34 AM by GumbaWill »
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline foreplease

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8612
  • Age: 62
  • Location: St. Joseph, MI
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2022, 11:30:13 AM »
This formula is 80% ingredients going in. The other 20% boils down (pun unintended) to experience pulling/shaping the final product. My end game ends practice.  Yield 1lb. 6 ounces
A big success, Iíd say. Having no experience with making fresh mozzarella (but some w/ricotta), can you tell me what you did between pics 3 & 4 and 4 & 5?. Was there any salt introduced anywhere in your process? Speaking of ricotta, in future batches could you make ricotta with what is leftover from this process? I honestly donít know.


EDIT: I missed the recipe link. Maybe I should just read that.
EDIT 2: Iím beginning to understand it better.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 11:36:00 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2022, 01:08:39 PM »
A big success, Iíd say. Having no experience with making fresh mozzarella (but some w/ricotta), can you tell me what you did between pics 3 & 4 and 4 & 5?. Was there any salt introduced anywhere in your process? Speaking of ricotta, in future batches could you make ricotta with what is leftover from this process? I honestly donít know.

The serious eats formula worked great. I followed all her steps to the letter, except I scaled everything up by 1/2. (One and one-half gallons total.)
 Yes for sure you could use the whey to make ricotta! In fact, true ricotta is a byproduct of mozzarella cheese making! That being said most all ricotta from whey formulas call for adding fresh milk to the mix for a better yield.
This bit is so important that it is worth repeating again. The milk you source, and use, will be the key to success or failure.

Edit
Liquid rennet needs to be refrigerated as soon as you can after delivery. Mine stood out at room temp for a couple of days before I realized my mistake. It was still viable and did its job. Now that I know better I can do better next time!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:15:14 PM by GumbaWill »
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
I am going to try going back to 48 hrs cold defrost/ferment. I am not getting the consistency I was before.

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #431 on: July 24, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »
Rare Sunday night pizza pie. This pie was originally scheduled as a Saturday night 48-hour defrost/ferment. 9 minutes. No preheat above and beyond bring the oven up to 550F. Next week I shoot for an 8-minute bake. That being said, very tasty pie tonight.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #432 on: July 26, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
New York-style pizza party at my place! My sister is taking my nephew and his family on the circle line today. Afterward my place for pizza. It was short notice, don't you know I had no dough balls left! Anyway, I got my freezer batch done, and also a thick parbaked Siciliano. In the rush, I forgot to lightly sauce before the par-bake. The Siciliano is the same formula as my last bake with the same 2 1/2 hour room temp bulk and 1-hour proof. The round dough has been refrigerated since 10 AM and is now sitting at room temperature.  That is one sweet-looking par-baked base!
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 995
  • Location: New york New york
  • My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #433 on: July 26, 2022, 07:53:25 PM »
New York-style pizza party at my place!

Everybody had a great time and loved the pizza. Due to the excessive heat in the kitchen, the NY street slice pie became over-stretched. This caused it to have some folds which ultimately caused it to stick to the screen. My first malfunction in a long time. Only two slices were involved in the sticky bussness.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

A D V E R T I S E M E N T