A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My trip to Naples and back  (Read 10179 times)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2022, 02:45:41 PM »
Very nice, and very consistent! These are all so well done with beautiful cornicione and excellent bottom (ehem).

I love your passion for a good prosciutto.
Thanks Arne, coming from you i consider this a huge compliment! Glad the bottom is approved too, long as i don't put too much ham on it i guess there are worse bottoms! :D

And yes my passion for prosciutto is hard to miss, perhaps i can inspire you to try it too sometime on your beautiful pizza pies! :)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2022, 01:37:43 PM »
Contrary to my earlier bakes, my two most recent pizza's and especially the Margherita from tonight tasted like (excuse my french) %$#. I haven't been this far from Naples in a long time.  :-[

I haven't changed anything since i was quite happy with the results lately, but since this week my dough toughens up after i reball after 36 hours. My handling is as following: i let the dough in bulk rise at RT for 24 hours and then eight hours RT into balls before use. Normally that works fine and reballing the remaining dough the next day is never a problem neither. This time the balls were flat like a tire and even though the pizza's from yesterday were decent, they had holes in the bottom and were oval instead of round. The balls were too flat to use. Then tonight i opened the remaining balls that i reballed this morning eight hours ago. The dough felt tough and it surprised me the bales weren't flat at all. It felt like they had been into balls for only an hour or so. And the pizza tasted so awful that i gave it to my dog.

Could it be because of the heat in my town?

Offline soler

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2022, 01:56:35 PM »
What is room temperature and how much yeast do you use? If you use the same recipe and ambient temp is like +10 Celsius thatís a huge difference. You may consider bulk fermenting in a cooler or directly in the refrigerator if thatís more easy .

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
Temperature is indeed the first suspect.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2022, 06:00:32 AM »
What is room temperature and how much yeast do you use? If you use the same recipe and ambient temp is like +10 Celsius thatís a huge difference. You may consider bulk fermenting in a cooler or directly in the refrigerator if thatís more easy .
I use the same amount of yeast like before. There was probably at least 10 + Celsius difference so that must be the problem.
Temperature is indeed the first suspect.
Will try the basement or the refrigerator next time!

Thanks guys!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2022, 04:39:11 PM »
Yeah, with 12-36 hours in RT, ten extra degrees will absolutely not work. In the higher temperature ranges, only a small difference in temperature can make a huge difference in fermentation. My bread doughs can easily move twice as fast when it changes from 22C to 27C.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2022, 03:47:09 AM »
Tried a cold fermentation but the dough wasn't as airy and light like i like it.

Then i let it rise some more over night at RT and it was decent. Now tonight i'll try the remnant and it felt good this morning. So, fingers crossed!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2022, 02:09:07 PM »
Howdy guys and gal (ain't that many female pizza bakers out there!) i am back!

After experimenting some more, it turned out that the dry yeast i used was dead. Now i tried fresh yeast and the crust is much puffier then it ever was with idy! I have become a fan of fresh yeast!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2022, 01:10:29 PM »
Some more Margherita with hog, this time by the pool. But not pigs in the pool allowed!  ;D

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2022, 02:05:23 PM »
Still in the 60-65 percentages range with the hydro. I let the dough balls rest for 8-10 hours before i open them and moved away from cold fermentation. Lately my recipe for two dough balls is so easy that i've memorized it:

300 grams of flower
200 ml water
10 grams salt
0,2 grams dry instant yeast.

Peanuts to remember so i can make dough now without a note.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #190 on: Yesterday at 12:47:47 PM »
Hello my pizza loving friends!

I am back to 65% hydro and Margherita cause less is more ain't it?

Pizza was baked at 500 degrees in 60 seconds with one turn after 45 seconds.