A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Resurrection: CIA Edition  (Read 1428 times)

Offline politon

Pizza Resurrection: CIA Edition
« on: August 01, 2021, 02:52:14 PM »
One of my favorite culinary pursuits is to research old recipes and bring them back to life using modern techniques and equipment. I've made things such as German mustard from 1894 and pilot crackers from 1881. It's very satisfying on many levels.

I present to you an American pizza recipe from 1956! The original formulation was developed by the late Joseph Amendola. Joe began his culinary career at the age of 9 as an apprentice at his uncle's bakery (Lucibello's Italian Pastry Shop) in New Haven, Connecticut. He became the first baking instructor at The Culinary Institute of America (CIA). This recipe was published in the book, titled "The bakers' manual for quantity baking and pastry making."

I scaled the recipe to make 2 14-inch pies and prepared them using my normal workflow. The original formulation calls for oil or shortening. As the book was originally published in 1956, my assumption was that shortening would have been preferred at that time. So I used all-vegetable shortening instead of oil. The pizza browned nicely and the cornicione remained soft, I attribute that to the shortening.

Flour (100%):      427 g
Water (66.745%):   285 g
IDY (.281%):       1.2 g
Salt (2.08%):      8.9 g
Oil (8.2%):        35 g
Total (177.306%):  757.1 g
Single Ball:       378.55 g
I am very pleased with the result and will certainly make this dough again. I hope that you try it! :chef:

Gratzi,

--Paul
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:26:26 PM by politon »

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: Pizza Resurrection: CIA Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
Looks great. Bake time and temperature?

Offline politon

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »
Looks great. Bake time and temperature?

Thank you! 550F convection for 7 minutes. Lowest rack position, rotate halfway through.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:32:47 PM by politon »

Offline andrewsiff

• Itís generally easier to do it right
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »
Very cool. I have that book. He was still there when I was a student in the 80ís.
43 years in restaurants, never worked a pizzeria, though Iíve always wanted to. Just didnít work out.

Offline politon

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »
Very cool. I have that book. He was still there when I was a student in the 80ís.

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing!  ;D

Offline politon

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
The recipe makes great pan pizza too!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
cool hobby and those pies look wonderful! to my eye the formulation looks closer to focaccia so well suited for  pan pizza. on a side note, Lucibello's is always on our list when we visit new haven.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 12:03:29 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 12:18:02 PM »
Cool concept!

Offline Mooose

• Moose on Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »
I'm interested in giving this dough a whirl, possibly today!

How long did you let the dough rise? Recipe says 1 hour. I'm wondering if you've tried a longer rise, and if so, how did it turn out?
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Super Peel
And a bunch of other cool pizza stuff

Offline politon

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 05:02:58 PM »
I'm interested in giving this dough a whirl, possibly today!

How long did you let the dough rise? Recipe says 1 hour. I'm wondering if you've tried a longer rise, and if so, how did it turn out?

In the stand mixer bowl, I mixed the flour and room temperature water with a silicone spatula until a shaggy dough formed. Covered it and let it rest for 15 minutes. I then added the remaining ingredients and using a dough hook, I mixed it on the lowest speed (stir) for 5 minutes. I then transferred the dough to a container lightly oiled with vegetable oil, covered it with plastic film, and refrigerated it for 48 hours.

When your ready to make pizza, take it out of the fridge, weigh it, and divide it. Because this dough formula uses bread flour, I like to do 2 or 3 stretch and folds (45 minutes apart) to build gluten strength.

After the first stretch and fold, transfer the balls to separate oiled containers and cover with plastic film. Repeat as required.

Allow the dough to rest while oven preheats. I usually let my oven preheat for an hour to an hour and a half.

If you're planning to only bake one pizza, the remaining ball doesn't need to be stretch and folded. Cover and refrigerate. It will be good for pizza the next day.

Offline 3.14159

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 10:47:55 PM »
The recipe makes great pan pizza too!
Nice looking pie! I've been working on a Sicilian prototype in the R & D test kitchen for a little while and I'm using a similar recipe, but with a much higher thickness factor (.16) baked into the equation. Although I'm generally happy with the results, I've been thinking about reducing that factor and I think yours has convinced me to go for it!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline politon

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 12:25:06 AM »
Nice looking pie! I've been working on a Sicilian prototype in the R & D test kitchen for a little while and I'm using a similar recipe, but with a much higher thickness factor (.16) baked into the equation. Although I'm generally happy with the results, I've been thinking about reducing that factor and I think yours has convinced me to go for it!
Thanks for the inspiration!

You're welcome, Pi!