A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Winter 2022 Pizza Challenge: Your Signature Pizza  (Read 2250 times)

Offline PizzaByCody

• Extra Sauce Please : )
Re: Winter 2022 Pizza Challenge: Your Signature Pizza
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 01:15:40 PM »
This is definitely my go to pizza, I like to keep things pretty simple. My favorite pizza place back home uses cupping pepperonis and puts the sauce on top of their pizza so that's definitely an inspiration. Another one is Prince St, I love the way the rectangle pizzas look and they are easier for me to make. The pepperonis are also pretty thick like prince streets, they taste and look amazing. For this I use a crispier style of dough, Boars Head Mozz, Rosa Grande Pepps, and Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes (didn't have 7/11) I made the sauce spicy to compliment the pepps by adding a fair amount of crushed red peppers!

I've been making pizzas for over a year now and started with Deep Dish Chicago style because I had never had it before, then moved to Detroit style pizzas for the same reason, and then moved to Grandma styles for something a little lighter and I think I enjoy making grandma styles the most.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:23:07 PM by PizzaByCody »
- 𝙄𝙣 𝘾𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙒𝙚 𝙏𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩 -

Offline ARenko

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 05:33:57 PM »
pad krapow on pizza.

toppings are, low moisture mozz, krapow, one egg white and 3 yolks.
2nd pizza the same but only 2 yolks.

Its my favourite thai dish, which i made with my own twist and put on pizza.

Minced chicken thigh with shalots, garlic and chili fried in duck fat.
Then add dark and light soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce to deglace and once fully cooked turn off the heat and add a salat bowl full of basil.
In thailand its usually served on rice with a very runny egg on top which imo makes the dish complete.

Dont judge me by the soundeffects in that video :-D my friend made it.

https://streamable.com/2xgz03
I spent several months working in Thailand a decade or so ago.  I ate pad grapao (with various proteins) nearly every day for lunch.  It might be my favorite dish too.  Please tell me that's holy basil.  I rarely go to Thai places even though there's a lot where I live because they never live up (two have, but one closed) and I can do it better at home.  My biggest complaint is them calling something grapao and using thai basil (horopa) instead of holy basil (grapao).  It completely changes the dish.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 10:47:33 PM »
That is a great looking Grandma Style pizza, Cody!
-Tony

Offline PizzaByCody

• Extra Sauce Please : )
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:18 PM »
Thank you : )
- 𝙄𝙣 𝘾𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙒𝙚 𝙏𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩 -

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »
I spent several months working in Thailand a decade or so ago.  I ate pad grapao (with various proteins) nearly every day for lunch.  It might be my favorite dish too.  Please tell me that's holy basil.  I rarely go to Thai places even though there's a lot where I live because they never live up (two have, but one closed) and I can do it better at home.  My biggest complaint is them calling something grapao and using thai basil (horopa) instead of holy basil (grapao).  It completely changes the dish.

i got lucky and found some asia/thai shop selling holy basil, I agree it doesnt work at all with thai basil, it comes out ok/tasty with regular italian basil tbf but nothing like that peppery note of holy basil.

I think its pretty hard to source anywhere outside asia, unless you grow it yourself.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 10:37:28 PM »

I think its pretty hard to source anywhere outside asia, unless you grow it yourself.
I can occasionally find it at a thai market, but it's too far from home to count on it being there if I go (which is just when I happen to be passing by).  I grow my own.  Also grow kaffir lime, lemongrass, thai basil, thai eggplant, prik kee noo, and prik kee faa.  Although other than the prik kee faa and kaffir lime, I can get everything pretty easily close by. 

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 11:36:33 PM »
I can occasionally find it at a thai market, but it's too far from home to count on it being there if I go (which is just when I happen to be passing by).  I grow my own.  Also grow kaffir lime, lemongrass, thai basil, thai eggplant, prik kee noo, and prik kee faa.  Although other than the prik kee faa and kaffir lime, I can get everything pretty easily close by.

Sounds like your cooking some tom yum as well once in a while  :D Thats my 2nd favourite dish.

Yeah, thats why i always call up or message those shops directly if they got what i need at the time, it was 40 min drive each way just to get holy basil but it was worth it, I made the pizza for my friends who never really had thai food, they couldnt figure out what they just tasted it was so different to them but everyone loved it.

I spent most of the year in Thailand though, the same struggle again here making pizza, finding good tomatoes cheese and flour here is a challenge by itself too  :-D