A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lidl might be the best value in the U.S. for home pizzamaking  (Read 1162 times)

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
Lidl might be the best value in the U.S. for home pizzamaking
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:18 PM »
I regularly see 8oz of fresh mozzarella go on sale for as low as 0.79-0.99 and their other cheeses like Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano Reggiano are quite cheap as well.

Around the holidays they have $99 legs of prosciutto and sturgeon caviar at prices half of what I've seen in restaurant supply stores.

Flour is lacking they only have AP and wheat and  they are not so good.

Olive oils good selection and quite cheap. During the themed weeks from greece / spain / italy they also import a few more varieties.

Tomatoes I don't like the cans they offer but the jar of passata is very good. The italian imported cherry tomatoes are $1.49 a can and quite good.

Saw a 15" pizza stone about 2 months ago for $9 and grill top oven for around $20.

Offline NYSS

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Lidl might be the best value in the U.S. for home pizzamaking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »
Their LMPS deli sliced mozzarella is pretty good. On sale right now for 2 for $3.00 which is a pound. (8oz a container)

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 04:43:35 PM »
Lidl needs to expand more. If people think Trader Joe's prices are good they will be in for a surprise.

Also if you make dessert pizza lidl has a cheap house brand of nutella and a crunchy nutella as well.

Also love the bavarian soft pretzel, pain aux raisins and focaccia with tomatoes , olives and capers.

Despite lidl being a discount grocer, the ingredient list is more natural ALA whole foods simply because a lot of items are imported from europe where food standards are higher.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:50:12 PM by mosabrina »

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »
These may be loss leaders, but lidl's prices on milk/eggs/butter is cheaper than costco and restaurant supply stores.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 12:13:41 AM »
Some stuff I typically get at lidl. The biazzo is $3.74, the pepperoni stick I believe is $2.99, the proscuitto was around $4.69 and the hard cheese was $2

Very interesting because it is from lithuania and there is no information about it other than it being cow's milk and a 20 month aged. Will try this weekend and see how it tastes
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:25:00 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »
That hard grating cheese went straight in the trash. It was 20 month aged yet it was soft, no visible crystals for such an aged cheese and had a very odd taste. I did not like it. No idea what it's supposed to taste like but it does not resemble any Italian hard cheese I've tasted.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 05:57:11 PM »
I've never heard of Lidl - or never paid attention. I see they have a bunch in Atlanta. I'm there a lot. I look forward to checking them out. Thanks for posting.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
That hard grating cheese went straight in the trash. It was 20 month aged yet it was soft, no visible crystals for such an aged cheese and had a very odd taste. I did not like it. No idea what it's supposed to taste like but it does not resemble any Italian hard cheese I've tasted.

For parm or romano, there are no viable substitutes for the DOC products that I've seen.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 10:17:43 PM »
So yes correct. It was not that I was expecting a good substitute, it was just at $2 I thought it would be quite nice even as a hard cheese to eat. Even american parm or romano is perfectly acceptable to use on pizza for me as it has a weak but at least similar enough flavor profile.

This was just odd as it was soft, tasted like nothing I've had before. Maybe it is just not a cheese I am accustomed to.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 10:22:02 PM »
I've never heard of Lidl - or never paid attention. I see they have a bunch in Atlanta. I'm there a lot. I look forward to checking them out. Thanks for posting.

Lidl is only on the east coast for now. The only reason I like that store is unlike aldi they seem to "import" a lot more of the american staples and the ingredient list therefore is a lot more natural on products as a result.

Some of their "unique" items like the italian frozen pizzas I have seen sold under the sam's choice label at walmart. Some of the other stuff not so sure but lidl seems to be able to import european items at very low prices compared to even costco. They must work more closely with the suppliers in europe given they have such a huge stronghold on the grocery industry.

During "italian week" which is one of the various themed weeks they sell this flour in other countries but never seen it in the U.S.

maybe they don't consider a flour like this an attractive option to import. They do import most of the other stuff
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:05:22 PM by mosabrina »

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 08:22:45 AM »
I've been loving them since the early 00's.  :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

wordpress