A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Small dough box for proofing  (Read 1761 times)

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Small dough box for proofing
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »
I knew that. I'm more concerned about food. I think it goes without saying that any kind of liquid has a much higher propensity to absorb BPA than any kind of food. And again, the constant exposure is the issue.
Considering your pizza dough is more than 50% water..... ???

With many plastics, oils, bacteria/enzymes, plus duration of exposure and presence of heat, are far more robust at causing degradation. 

Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
Considering your pizza dough is more than 50% water..... ???

With many plastics, oils, bacteria/enzymes, plus duration of exposure and presence of heat, are far more robust at causing degradation.
I hear what you're saying. But again, everything I've read on this topic seems to be highly generalized and not nearly specific enough about any particular sort of food, or whether the food in question is going to be cooked or not. And when you think about, most any kind of food that's not a dry spice or nut or grain, or something like that, is going to have a level of moisture high enough that if moisture alone is the issue, the people doing these studies should have been able to come up with some kind of conclusive argument to rule out the use of plastic containers containing BPA for food storage at all, which doesn't seem to be the case to me. Again, I'm not totally closed-minded about this. I would just want to see more convincing evidence. And after all, if this concern turned out to be well founded, I could still just lay down a layer of plastic wrap or parchment paper under the dough and still use the container.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Online loch

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »
I know this doesn't apply to most of you, but in a commercial kitchen in Colorado you need food grade containers for storage. Frankly, from what I've been able to read, not all NSF Listed food containers are BPA free. They just have to meet certain hot/cold standards.

I know of one Italian restaurant that had to throw out food and containers. My wife and I were doing their books and it was not cheap to fix.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »
I received an email today on BPA, from Healthline:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-bpa

Peter

Online loch

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 01:10:13 PM »
I read something similar to the Healthline link from Cambro a while back.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-bpa#basics.

On the different food forums, I've read that the clear Cambro containers have BPA and the translucent don't, for what it's worth.

I guess the bottom line is we all have it floating around in us. If it's kids, you might want to monitor things. I'm in my 70s so it's too late for me, but I figure if I can survive the x-ray machines that used to be in all the shoe stores, I'll be OK with a little BPA.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
I received an email today on BPA, from Healthline:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-bpa

Peter
I succumbed to paranoia (or maybe something else, call it what you will), and lined my container with parchment paper on the bottom when I placed my latest batch of dough in it today. I'm done concerning myself about this. Thanks for the info.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline stuff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2022, 03:18:34 PM »
I settled on these after much searching. They have slightly slanted sides making the base smaller which slightly decreases space efficiency, but they fit in most refrigerators, are the right height, and BPA free. You can stack them and use the top inverted for slight nesting and decreased vertical space usage or click them in convex up for greater height if you're using them for a loaf of bread or something else. Rubbermaid white boxes. The clear ones just like cambro have BPA which is somewhat necessary for durability of clear containers. They made bpa free clear containers for a bit, but those cracked more easily and were generally less durable. Once the fda I believe said that boa containing food storage containers are fine they reverted back. The 2 gallon size works great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZE7VG/?tag=pmak-20

The ooni boxes can be had much cheaper if you're in Europe by buying from the manufacturer. I am unfortunately not in Europe : (

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 07:12:55 PM »
I settled on these after much searching. They have slightly slanted sides making the base smaller which slightly decreases space efficiency, but they fit in most refrigerators, are the right height, and BPA free. You can stack them and use the top inverted for slight nesting and decreased vertical space usage or click them in convex up for greater height if you're using them for a loaf of bread or something else. Rubbermaid white boxes. The clear ones just like cambro have BPA which is somewhat necessary for durability of clear containers. They made bpa free clear containers for a bit, but those cracked more easily and were generally less durable. Once the fda I believe said that boa containing food storage containers are fine they reverted back. The 2 gallon size works great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZE7VG/?tag=pmak-20

The ooni boxes can be had much cheaper if you're in Europe by buying from the manufacturer. I am unfortunately not in Europe : (

That's exactly the same containers I use, they are quite heavy duty, use minimal amount of oil on the bottom or your dough ball(s) will slide around.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 06:04:42 AM »
That's exactly the same containers I use, they are quite heavy duty, use minimal amount of oil on the bottom or your dough ball(s) will slide around.
We have several of the 1-gal, which I have found can accommodate approximately 13 cups of liquid foods I wish to freeze in them: tomato sauce (for pasta), Bolognese sauce meatballs in sauce (holds about 30 @ 2.2 oz plus adequate sauce), and any of several soups. We have one of the 2-gal size, which is a great size for large family meals. I wish we had more of both sizes. I have not used either for dough balls. It works out better for me to use individual round deli type containers with lids that probably contain some BPA.  :-\
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 06:15:28 AM »
I succumbed to paranoia (or maybe something else, call it what you will), and lined my container with parchment paper on the bottom when I placed my latest batch of dough in it today. I'm done concerning myself about this. Thanks for the info.
I have a date every Tuesday at University of Chicago Hospital. There, I receive a shot in the stomach of something they hope will become an FDA approved chemo drug. Outside of the few people in the clinical trial, it has not been used on humans before. In large highlighted print it says “For Investigational Use Only” and “HazDrug: PPD HD Required.” I like to kid the nurses in their gowns, shoe guards, gloves, and face shields: “So you want to put this IN me but don’t want to get any of it ON you.”  :-D
-Tony

Offline bbqnpizza

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2022, 11:56:02 PM »
Lots of good health info here, re discussion about dough tray box for 4 pizza dough balls which is typical 2-4 people requirement.  I too have been searching for the ideal box that isn't double or triple the price it should be.  I saw this on Amazon can't say what the quality is like, or if the plastic is too slippery.  https://is.gd/c6WKIS .  I just purchased some other plastic food containers, won't bother to share which they didn't work for my intended purpose.

Offline BostonJohn13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 06:23:42 AM »
I use an 18x12in food storage box from Cambro.  We got a set of 3 with lids at Costco a while back

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-12186p148-12-x-18-x-6-white-poly-food-storage-box/21412186PWH.html

This brand has a lot of size/shape options

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 09:02:20 PM »
I think you can't beat this for the size and price. Description says 100% BPA free. The actual inside measurments are 13.6" x 8.75" x 3". Nice on the smaller size for a home fridge, price is more then reasonable. Should work nicely for just a few dough balls.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08JGP969X/?tag=pmak-20

They also sell them at Walmart for the same price.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline stuff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 08:35:06 PM »

Random additional thought for these bins... If you need a bit more area and want an easier time scooping the balls out, you can use these upside down too. Just use the lid as the base and the actual bin as the top. I made some thin wooden bases to put in mine. Had I thought about the upside down approach first, I would have made them a bit larger. Lol

Offline Alleypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 11:43:34 PM »
I buy food boxes at the restaurant equipment supply in my area. They make many depths and I bought the 2.5-3” ones. You need to use a lid for each unlike the pizza ones but they fit in my fridge unlike the pizza ones. I put 6 dough balls in each.

Though I make so much these days I never get to use the fridge anymore. All Room temp now, but my basement is 18 Celsius so it works well.

wordpress