A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Bertello Grande  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
New Bertello Grande
« on: February 18, 2022, 04:19:24 PM »

Looks interesting, and can make a 16" which is sweet. I like how the gas burner runs under the stone, the 2 videos I found on it, neither show a close up of how the flame looks on the top. The shape of the burner makes it look like mostly all the flame will be under the stone. I'm probably wrong here, and I know Bertello says you can use both wood and propane at the same time.  Bertello's video shows a big rolling flame which looks great to me, but I expect an official product video to maybe be edited to make it look more spectacular. $699's good if it's solid. And they're doing 15% for the launch. I had really been wanting a Karu 16, but if I see a few reviews of this, even at $699 it could be on my buy list over the Karu. I like how the gas burner's included and you can use wood too.   I don't think it's nearly as visually pleasing as the Karu, but the flame under the stone would probably be sweet.   I think if I had the money I'd jump on the 15%,  there aren't a ton of reviews of their original oven, but mostly everything I heard about it was positive.

I'm sure somebody here will buy one lol.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 04:21:33 PM by Quebert »

Offline bel4_20

Re: New Bertello Grande
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »
I've watched many of his videos Am I the only one not really impressed by this new oven? It looked promising at the begining with the burner under the stone.

Offline jojoscircus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
love seeing new entries to this space.  two observations.

1.  Some of the other unboxing videos show the bottom flame a lil better.   There is a LOT of flame under the stone.   Hope it's not too much.

2.  Vloggers lose credibility when everything looks "beautiful".   This oven looks like a high school shop class reject, pop rivets and all.    I appreciate function over form, and can look past the appearance of this oven.  But it is far from beautiful.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
Credibility is lost when the ultimate fake pitchman is showing it.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »
1.  Some of the other unboxing videos show the bottom flame a lil better.   There is a LOT of flame under the stone.   Hope it's not too much.

If those lower fascia perforations are the primary air inlet, then I would guess most of the convective heat under the stone will be flushed into the upper chamber, and any under-stone BTU input would be infrared. It will be interesting to see if that back quadrant becomes char city.

Offline Sizelove

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »
Non-vlogger review.  Just received my Bertello Grande this week.  Did a quick trial yesterday, before having guest over tonight.
Initial observations and comments to some of the dialog above.
Stone does heat up pretty quick, I wouldn't say it is too much.  I didn't have any back quadrant char.  In fact, I think it is actually better than my old Bertello that relied on top-side heating alone. 
While the flame is under the stone, it does come up around the sides of the stone left/right in the back, and up over the top (small deflector on front side of wood tray to deflect).  With propane alone, it isn't a roaring flame across the inside top, but would work.  What I liked about the 12" Bertello, and carries over with this design, is the simplicity of adding a few wood chunks.  Super easy, no hassle to light as they sit directly over the gas burner flame in the back.  The wood fire puts a significant flame across the top of the oven.  If you put a few chunks in while pre-heating, it produces a roaring flame across the top and arguably helps heat the stone all the way to the front (flames come out front of oven).  When cooking pizza, you really only need one/two small wood chunks to compliment (or turn off/low) the gas burner.
The gas burner back to high, also helps regain temperature quickly between pizzas, due to temperature drop from cooking previous.

I personally like the balance of propane to heat quickly, control temperature, combined with the wood option.  The painted black, riveted sheet metal does look a little "shop class" vs. the stainless of other models, but so far, happy with the upgrade's function, cost (especially with the 15% initial discount). 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:42:15 PM by Sizelove »

Online mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 03:51:23 PM »
The painted black, riveted sheet metal does look a little "shop class" vs. the stainless of other models, but so far, happy with the upgrade's function, cost (especially with the 15% initial discount).

Looking "shop class" is way better than the rust and discoloration of the oonis that use 430 stainless steel.

Online mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 12:57:33 AM »

Funny video. First he compares the karu 16 preheating without the door because it's not a fair comparison and then when he shows the bottom of the bertello at the end, he talks about how the bottom of the pizza burnt (since the underfloor burner is too hot) and stops himself from saying in the middle that it was an "issue" and corrects himself

Offline P K

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »
Bertello Grande Oven, sourdough pie, 65% hydration, all purpose flour. 750-800 F center of the the pizza stone, low flame when cooking, cook time roughly about 2 mins.

The pic is my 5th Pizza in this oven. Just getting started, still a ton more to learn!!

Offline pizza-in

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »
$499 for July 4th

Online mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »
is it just an illusion or is the bertello grande floor quite thick?

Offline P K

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »
Between 1/2 and 3/4 inch.

Offline P K

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 01:57:03 AM »
After almost 20+ pizzas, I'm beginning to believe the bottom heat is a blessing and curse. Blessing in the sense there is no waiting time between pizzas for the stone to heat up. Curse is the bottom of the pie burns before the top is fully cooked.

The only way to mitigate this is to reduce the stone temp to around 650 and do a 3-4 min bake. That takes away the joy of neo and the crust definitely doesn't taste the same as a 120ish second bake.

Have anyone tried this oven and has different thoughts / suggestions?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »
Have you tried putting something under the floor to decrease the flow of heat to the bottom stone - a thin sheet of metal may help.  Another option, though it brings some risk of cracking the stone, is to dab the stone with a damp towel between bakes, that can bring down the temp a bit - but again, may crack the stone.  The final option is to start on the stone, then switch to putting the pie on a screen for the final part of the bake.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 07:00:16 AM »
You say above that you are using low flame when cooking. Try high flame when cooking to balance with the high bottom heat. In my Roccbox, after pre-heating, I turn the flame down while preparing the pizza to keep the bottom from getting too hot, then I go to high flame after launch.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Online mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
I think also recovery time depends on how quickly you can stretch/top another pizza.

I think these underfloor burners seem like a good idea but in practice are not so useful.

Look at some of the nicely cooked pizzas in the carbon oven with the bottom burner turned completely off.

With the karu 16 the floor gets too hot. I've never needed an underfloor burner unless maybe did more than 12 pizzas per hr. That's plenty of pizza for me

If it was an underfloor burner and a super thick biscotto saputo stone that might be nice.

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
I think also recovery time depends on how quickly you can stretch/top another pizza.

I think these underfloor burners seem like a good idea but in practice are not so useful.

Look at some of the nicely cooked pizzas in the carbon oven with the bottom burner turned completely off.

With the karu 16 the floor gets too hot. I've never needed an underfloor burner unless maybe did more than 12 pizzas per hr. That's plenty of pizza for me

If it was an underfloor burner and a super thick biscotto saputo stone that might be nice.

We are obviously talking apples and oranges here, but the underfloor element on the WPO 500 is essential to its function and you would not get acceptable results if you simply used the above heating element by itself (which you could do, because both elements have their own independent "on" and "off" switches.  I now have 2 WPO 500s, and 2 Ardores, one of each at both of my residences (one is a "business residence" where all of my business interests are located, not a "vacation home").

I got away from making pizzas (and doing a lot of other things) after the pandemic started, however have recently been getting back into this "hobby."  I relocated my natural gas Ardore to my other residence a couple of years ago and wanted to get another one for the primary residence.  I was glad to see that PP had resumed shipping to N. America recently, but was sorry to see that the natural gas option for the Ardore no longer exists.  As a result, I did an "online" study of the large number of outdoor gas ovens that have entered the market.  I immediately discarded the idea of anything branded "Onni" due to horrid experiences with a Pro where I ended up tossing it into a dumpster.  I did consider the Bertellos, especially the Grande, largely because it has a natural gas option.  After some study, watching of videos, thinking about the Shark Tank origin of the Bertellos, looking over QVC material, etc., I concluded that more likely than not the Bertellos were more of a marketing phenomenon than a serious choice for someone looking for more than occasional use.  So, even though Bertello sent me an additional 10% off coupon because I didn't complete the transaction, I went ahead and ordered another Ardore, this one the current LPG version, and I have no regrets from doing so.

As to the OP, I think you have some good suggestions in this thread about how you might get the oven to work for you and to do good bakes through the entire pizza.  For anyone else looking at the Bertellos and expecting to make a hobby of making pizzas, I think that the Ardore is the standout product in this part of the market, and the current weakness of the Euro makes it an even more compelling buy.

Good luck
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 07:04:07 PM by champignon »

Offline lucy1337

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 03:29:19 PM »
After almost 20+ pizzas, I'm beginning to believe the bottom heat is a blessing and curse. Blessing in the sense there is no waiting time between pizzas for the stone to heat up. Curse is the bottom of the pie burns before the top is fully cooked.

The only way to mitigate this is to reduce the stone temp to around 650 and do a 3-4 min bake. That takes away the joy of neo and the crust definitely doesn't taste the same as a 120ish second bake.

Have anyone tried this oven and has different thoughts / suggestions?
I am having troubles understanding how's the bottom burner can be blamed - you use it to get the floor to temp quickly (around 10-15 minutes from my experience), add some wood and then set it to low or turn it off completely. From my testing as long as you keep the burner on low it won't go above 600F, so there is a lot of room to play with.

Just remember to turn every ~30 seconds and you are good.

I only cooked about 4 pizzas with the Grande so far, and my results are VERY far from perfect, but the fact is Vito got a great pizza in his first attempt with the oven and a perfect one with his second attempt, which clearly shows it is possible.

Personally, if I will end up selling this oven, it would be for the sole purpose of going with a rotating stone (a bit harder to do in this oven with the underneath burners).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:15:04 PM by lucy1337 »

Offline lucy1337

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 01:40:55 AM »
We are obviously talking apples and oranges here, but the underfloor element on the WPO 500 is essential to its function and you would not get acceptable results if you simply used the above heating element by itself (which you could do, because both elements have their own independent "on" and "off" switches.  I now have 2 WPO 500s, and 2 Ardores, one of each at both of my residences (one is a "business residence" where all of my business interests are located, not a "vacation home").

I got away from making pizzas (and doing a lot of other things) after the pandemic started, however have recently been getting back into this "hobby."  I relocated my natural gas Ardore to my other residence a couple of years ago and wanted to get another one for the primary residence.  I was glad to see that PP had resumed shipping to N. America recently, but was sorry to see that the natural gas option for the Ardore no longer exists.  As a result, I did an "online" study of the large number of outdoor gas ovens that have entered the market.  I immediately discarded the idea of anything branded "Onni" due to horrid experiences with a Pro where I ended up tossing it into a dumpster.  I did consider the Bertellos, especially the Grande, largely because it has a natural gas option.  After some study, watching of videos, thinking about the Shark Tank origin of the Bertellos, looking over QVC material, etc., I concluded that more likely than not the Bertellos were more of a marketing phenomenon than a serious choice for someone looking for more than occasional use.  So, even though Bertello sent me an additional 10% off coupon because I didn't complete the transaction, I went ahead and ordered another Ardore, this one the current LPG version, and I have no regrets from doing so.

As to the OP, I think you have some good suggestions in this thread about how you might get the oven to work for you and to do good bakes through the entire pizza.  For anyone else looking at the Bertellos and expecting to make a hobby of making pizzas, I think that the Ardore is the standout product in this part of the market, and the current weakness of the Euro makes it an even more compelling buy.

Good luck
https://imgur.com/a/2owBpP8

There is some improvement but I wouldn't say I am happy with the results.
My problem, btw, was definitely over proofing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 10:25:53 AM by Pete-zza »

Online mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 10:25:37 AM »
I am having troubles understanding how's the bottom burner can be blamed - you use it to get the floor to temp quickly (around 10-15 minutes from my experience), add some wood and then set it to low or turn it off completely. From my testing as long as you keep the burner on low it won't go above 600F, so there is a lot of room to play with.

Bottom burner is used to make sure the stone comes back up to temp which is good in theory, but not good in practice. These  cordierite stones are thin and get plenty enough heat from the top flame. If you let it get away from you during baking multiple pizzas it gets too hot and your bottom is scorched.

Also the bottom burner doesn't seem to provide an even pattern of heat.

You can see in the vito iacopelli video his pizzas were the worst he's made out of any recent oven he has tried. They had significant issues and he burnt his bottoms.

With ooni ovens unless you're baking 12 pizzas or hour or more you already have to worry about the stone getting too hot.

wordpress