A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Steel Takes Shape  (Read 654 times)

Offline Puzzolento

New Steel Takes Shape
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:20:50 PM »
Yesterday, I used a steel for NYC pizza for the first time, and I loved it. I didn't have a dedicated steel, though. I used a big piece of plate I was planning to turn into a steak griddle. I grabbed a new sheet from my metal supplier, and today, I started working on it. It's 1/4" hot-rolled plate, 16" on a side. I would say I spent half an hour on it. I was using an old belt, and I was too lazy to replace it, so it was slow.

I used a big angle grinder and the belt grinder to round the corners and deburr it. I also knocked off surface rust. Then I washed the steel in the kitchen sink, applied coconut oil, and stuck it in the oven at 500. Tomorrow I'm planning to use it.

I used lard on the other piece because I hate the way vegetable and peanut oils smoke and stink. I decided to try coconut oil today to see what it was like. My favorite seasoning fat is bacon grease.

I'm glad I have this forum to give me tips. I thought my stone was wonderful, but this is going to be better in every way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 06:24:17 PM by Puzzolento »
The man's job is to make decisions. The woman's job is to criticize them.

Sicilian pizza is Godzilla. Thin pizza is Japan.

Offline T-bone

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Steel Takes Shape
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
I just had a pizza steel delivered.  15 in x 16 in x 1/4 in.  Bought it on Etsy.  Smooth all over, totally clean, and seasoned.

Cost 80 bucks. But I was looking for a turnkey solution.  I could have gone to a local shop near me.

Yours looks very nice. 

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
Yesterday, I used a steel for NYC pizza for the first time, and I loved it. I didn't have a dedicated steel, though. I used a big piece of plate I was planning to turn into a steak griddle. I grabbed a new sheet from my metal supplier, and today, I started working on it. It's 1/4" hot-rolled plate, 16" on a side. I would say I spent half an hour on it. I was using an old belt, and I was too lazy to replace it, so it was slow.

I used a big angle grinder and the belt grinder to round the corners and deburr it. I also knocked off surface rust. Then I washed the steel in the kitchen sink, applied coconut oil, and stuck it in the oven at 500. Tomorrow I'm planning to use it.

I used lard on the other piece because I hate the way vegetable and peanut oils smoke and stink. I decided to try coconut oil today to see what it was like. My favorite seasoning fat is bacon grease.

I'm glad I have this forum to give me tips. I thought my stone was wonderful, but this is going to be better in every way.

Beautiful work, fabricating your own steel is awesome if you have the skills and tools.

Crisco/solid vegetable shortening is best for seasoning, they are more refined than oils and have a neutral profile. (Oils gum up and dry out, as when used in oil painting.)

Now let's see some pie!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, but I disagree about vegetable oils. They stink and give off blue smoke. Pork fat doesn't stink or smoke. Much better.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
Lol Guys, all that fancy fat gets burned off in the oven.

Seasoning on Pizza Plate is not a thing, it just protects the commercial plates from corrosion during warehousing, shipping, and waiting till the weather turns cooler so you can open the windows during the hour-long pre-heat...

Offline T-bone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 08:00:57 PM »

Seasoning on Pizza Plate is not a thing, it just protects the commercial plates from corrosion during warehousing, shipping, and waiting till the weather turns cooler so you can open the windows during the hour-long pre-heat...

Are you saying someone who buys a steel from a local shop does not have to apply any seasoning at all? Ever?  Even those people living in very humid climates?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 02:58:22 PM by T-bone »

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 09:07:12 PM »

I've used my steel at 550 a number of times, and the seasoning is doing just fine.

It doesn't take an hour to heat a 1/4" steel.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 09:47:19 PM »
Been using the steel since it was first mentioned here, what 10yrs ago? Then don't listen to me, I'm only making this %$# up...

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 10:11:01 PM »
If a steel is unseasoned and in an environment where you have mositure it's going to rust. My seasoning wore off a few years ago and I've not gone back to reseason it. Slight bits of rust from being in a gas oven at all times. One of these days I'll clean and reseason it.

We season steel pans, cast iron pans and steel baking pans for pizza, why wouldn't some need to season a pizza steel?

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 09:31:41 AM »
I also season aluminum pans. Works great.

Offline T-bone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 03:01:28 PM »

We season steel pans, cast iron pans and steel baking pans for pizza, why wouldn't some need to season a pizza steel?

Because rascali said we don't have to.  And he's been using his for 10 years. That's why!! :) :)

Offline Jimmy1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 02:17:07 PM »
Try flax seed oil. It has a very similar structure to linseed oil, but is food grade.

I've done this for all my carbon steel and cast iron pans at home. Then, I when I bought my pizza steel from Dough-Joe, they happen to also use Flax Seed Oil for their seasoning oil as well.

https://fallsculinary.com/product-category/pizza-steel/

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 02:27:28 PM »
I use pork fat because it smells great instead of giving off blue smoke like plant oils.

wordpress