A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re: Boston Pizza Places  (Read 2089 times)

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Re: Boston Pizza Places
« on: March 17, 2022, 02:35:27 AM »
I'm heading to Boston Friday for a week.  And most eat places???

Jerry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Re: Boston Caputo
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 06:26:24 AM »
If you want to tell me what areas you will be in I can help.  Also, what styles of pizza are you interested in?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:27:42 PM by scott r »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 08:02:47 AM »
I was mildly disappointed to find that this topic wasn't about a Caputo flour unique to Boston. I might have had to order a bag.

And the flavor profile would be similar to

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:15:50 AM »
I'm heading to Boston Friday for a week.  And most eat places???

Jerry

Well if you want to take the nostalgic trip down Boston pizza begin with the original Pizzeria Regina on Thacher St and Santarpioís in East Boston. 

Iím not a fan of Galleria Umberto Pizza, Parziale's Bakery around the corner is much better.

For something more unique and was common in many bakeries and corner stores back in the day in Italian neighborhoods,  try the no mozzarella slice from Milanoís in East Boston.

Scroll to the 2:30 of the video

And of course Scottís very own Stoked Pizza.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:18:50 AM by ebpizza »

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 10:20:19 AM »
First time to Boston so I have no idea where we'll be.  Sightseeing and some food is planned by my wife and sister.  My brother in law and I just pay and say ok dear whatever you want. :)

All I know is we are touring fenway Park and Harvard. Doing the freedom trail and walking tour.  We are staying in Salem and might do I day trip north

So any must try food places, pizza, seafood etc would go on our list

Mike's cannolis is the only place I've been told we're going to

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:23:25 AM by halfprice »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »
This is from one of my favorite DDD episodes. The guy is an unbelievably good cook. Love to try it myself some day. Bet it is damn hard to get in. This is 4 minutes, I think you will love it. Enjoy your trip.
-Tony

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 08:52:34 PM »
This is from one of my favorite DDD episodes. The guy is an unbelievably good cook. Love to try it myself some day. Bet it is damn hard to get in. This is 4 minutes, I think you will love it. Enjoy your trip.

Tony that looks so good

Thanks

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 11:19:20 PM »
If your interested in trying my pizza I have a restaurant very close to Fenway park and another right by Harvard Square, two of the areas you mentioned visiting.  They are called Stoked Wood fired Pizza and Stoked Pizza.  Definitely shoot me a heads up via PM ahead of time if you end up doing that.     

My favorite restaurant right now is probably Oleana. It always totally knocks it out of the park. Its not a vegetarian restaurant or anything, but I never knew vegetables could be that good.  Its worth the drive even if its out of your way a bit.  https://www.oleanarestaurant.com 

When im in Salem I usually hit Turners Seafood.  https://www.turners-seafood.com. Its also pretty hard not to bump into a Legal Seafoods when your in town with all their locations, but dont let that scare you. I have never had a bad meal there either.   

For pizza, Pizzeria Regina in the north end has never let me down, and I think you will be in that area.  Its sort of a cross between NY slice style pizza and classic sit down coal fired NY pizza (but its not a coal oven). I used to really like Santarpios, but I have had quite a few bad pies there over the years so I havent been there in a while.  I really like Area Four and Picco.  I havent been, but I have heard great things about locale (also north end) and brewers fork (very close to north end).  For Neapolitan, my favorites are Rossopomodoro (located in Eataly), Posto, and Ciao pizza and pasta (right by the airport).

Rinos place (with the ddd link) is for sure really great. If its hard to get in or out of your way there are also a lot of spots in the north end that I think are right at that same quality with similar menus.

I think you will really enjoy your visit.     

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 11:55:22 PM »
And the flavor profile would be similar to

I happen to like Dunkin', but obviously that isn't relevant to flour milled in a nearly 400-year-old former English settlement. I anticipate a successful mill in Boston might draw upon the Puritanical heritage of what is considered an ancient city by American standards. Perhaps even use milling methods from long ago, say ... like these guys.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/lynn-massachusetts-mill-working-to-reintroduce-healthier-tastier-wheat-products/34019468#
The yeast flies south in November.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:32 AM »
If your interested in trying my pizza I have a restaurant very close to Fenway park and another right by Harvard Square, two of the areas you mentioned visiting.  They are called Stoked Wood fired Pizza and Stoked Pizza.

Oh, the irony. I drove past there in 2012 on my way to Fenway Park, where I had concession pizza during a game against the Blue Jays. I'm sure I would have preferred yours if you were established at the time.

I'm near the home dugout in the following video (that nobody needs to watch):

Edit: I had to wait the entire rain delay standing next to the pizza vendor in the corridor. Eating pizza became inescapable.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:14:30 AM by FoodSim »
The yeast flies south in November.

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 12:33:28 AM »
If your interested in trying my pizza I have a restaurant very close to Fenway park and another right by Harvard Square, two of the areas you mentioned visiting.  They are called Stoked Wood fired Pizza and Stoked Pizza.  Definitely shoot me a heads up via PM ahead of time if you end up doing that.     

My favorite restaurant right now is probably Oleana. It always totally knocks it out of the park. Its not a vegetarian restaurant or anything, but I never knew vegetables could be that good.  Its worth the drive even if its out of your way a bit.  https://www.oleanarestaurant.com 

When im in Salem I usually hit Turners Seafood.  https://www.turners-seafood.com. Its also pretty hard not to bump into a Legal Seafoods when your in town with all their locations, but dont let that scare you. I have never had a bad meal there either.   

For pizza, Pizzeria Regina in the north end has never let me down, and I think you will be in that area.  Its sort of a cross between NY slice style pizza and classic sit down coal fired NY pizza (but its not a coal oven). I used to really like Santarpios, but I have had quite a few bad pies there over the years so I havent been there in a while.  I really like Area Four and Picco.  I havent been, but I have heard great things about locale (also north end) and brewers fork (very close to north end).  For Neapolitan, my favorites are Rossopomodoro (located in Eataly), Posto, and Ciao pizza and pasta (right by the airport).

Rinos place (with the ddd link) is for sure really great. If its hard to get in or out of your way there are also a lot of spots in the north end that I think are right at that same quality with similar menus.

I think you will really enjoy your visit.   
Thanks Scott.  We are doing the fenway tour at 10 am sunday. We plan to eat lunch after and then do the Harvard tour I believe at 3pm. 

So I'd very much like to try your pizza but as of now I don't know what the other want.   So I will let you know

Thanks for all the info.  We'll narrow some things down Saturday

Jerry

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 12:35:00 AM »
Also we do have a car but many friends have told us to do the train because parking sucks.  Another thing to work out

Jerry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 07:31:30 AM »
Thats probably good advice to take the T, although I will say that the parking in Boston is easier since covid with less people in the city.  Stoked Wood Fired pizza is a short T ride on the green line C train from Fenway (the kenmore stop).  It is a fairly long ride to Harvard square from there since you have to switch lines and there is decent distance between them, so the schedule might get kind of tight.   

Your best bet might be to get yourself to Harvard square right after the Fenway tour so you can better gauge how much time you have to eat.  There are better food options there than what you have at that Kenmore (Fenway) T stop although there is a Pizzeria Regina slice shop right there.   The pizza is definitely good, but most people will tell you that you want to go to the North end location for their best pizza.   

Once you get to Harvard you can figure out if you have time to sit down and eat or if you need something fast thats more grab and go.  Right at the Harvard Square T stop are some great sandwiches at Cardullo's market, some great quick Burritos/Tacos at Felipe's Taqueria, and a solid burger at Tasty Burger.  For a quick dessert I highly suggest the cereal milk soft serve from Milk bar which is also one minute from the T station.  In the same storefront as Milk Bar is & pizza.   

If you have a little more time you can walk 12 minutes to Stoked Pizza. We are a sit down whole pie kind of place, but the pies come out fast (its a 3 minute bake time).  We also have great wings and salads.  I am on the Harvard campus, so its probably not too far from your tour, although that probably starts back the 12 minutes to where the T lets you off (the middle of harvard square). 

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »
Great info Scott. Thanks. Being from So Cal we don't have trains.  We love our cars.   It will take getting used to

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 07:25:11 PM »
I remember eating seafood at Union Oyster House. I'm not sure what the locals think of it, but they apparently are from 1826.

When I do get back up there I want to try a bar pie...though I don't know how far from the city that will be for you. (In addition to one of Scott's pies.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:30:55 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 08:50:02 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the Union Oyster house.  You cant open in 1826, still be open and not be good lol :)

Up until very recently there were no bar pies in the city, but there are a few spots doing them now. One is called Hot Box (technically in Somerville), another is called Bardo's pizza.   I havent tried them but I have heard they are both good. 

The closest classic bar pizzas to the city are probably Lynwood Cafe and Town Spa which are both about a 30 minute drive due south.   They also happen to be two of the best. Cape Cod Cafe (who invented the style) is only about 15 min away from each of them. 

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 08:51:43 PM »
We're going to union oyster Sunday night

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 10:30:07 PM »
What a screwed up airport. Took an hour just to drive from our terminal to the rental car area oh well its 1030. We ate at the hotel restaurant and now relaxing in bed.  Very long day

Jerry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 10:51:08 PM »
Oh no!   thats not normal, but it is a screwed up airport for sure.   Glad you gave me a heads up im out of town right now and flying back in on monday.  I will mentally prepare for this.

Offline ira

• Supporting Member
  • I cook Pizza! Currently using a Gozney Dome
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2022, 01:12:26 AM »
I'll be at the convention center, Seaport District, Apr 8-10 or so, where around there should I try. Limited to walking distance.

Ira