A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bought Ooni Stacks  (Read 761 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Bought Ooni Stacks
« on: May 06, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »
I have 2 Doughmate Artisan boxes, I like them but they take up a ton of room.  I also need more as I'm going to start making more dough. Also I wanted something that I could open the fridge and eyeball my dough, which is totally unnecessary as my dough is always good. But that's never stopped me from spending more $$$ lol.

Pyrex bowls work great, can be stacked, and are cheap. So naturally, I bought the expensive Ooni Stack. They nest which makes them I guess able to stack high, and they have a nice looking bamboo lid with a rubber seal. Downside they only come in a 3 pack, with only a single lid, and cost way more than the Pyrex bowls.  Kudos to Ooni for only including 1 lid, and double kudos to them for not even selling the lids separately (I'd buy a bunch...) They currently won't fit stacked 3 high on the shelve in the fridge use, so 1 of them is currently sitting with a small plate on top. Which makes them look ghetto and completely undermines how nice they look with the bamboo lid. lol I thought about how to remedy this and *BOOM* I went and ordered 2 more sets, so now I'll have 3 lids!  Of course, I'll also have 9 bowls. So I'm back to square 1 until I clean out the fridge and move the shelve so I have enough vertical space for stacks of 3, or maybe even 6.  I don't know if Pyrex would be able to hold the weight stacked 6 high with their flimsy plastic lids. I could have asked here as I'm sure somebody might know, but what fun would that be? A plus for Pyrex, they only cost $8 each, whereas these are $40 for 3.  I want to be able to make 6 balls so I wisely bought an extra set, but I unwisely didn't consider I'll be making dough 2x a week - Wed & Fri. And I do a 72h CF. So I'll either need to order 3 more sets or buy Pyrex's and have my fridge looking ghetto with mismatched proofing containers.   I know it doesn't matter as the dough won't magically proof better in the Ooni ones. But my OCD likes that they're the same company as my oven, which means absolutely nothing.  Ordering more also gave me a chance to finally order some Semola flour which I can't find anywhere even remotely close to me.  I know this flour's preferred over Semolina for bench flour and patting the dough balls in.

The technical specs:

Individual Ooni Stack Bowl Dimensions: 6 x 2.7″ (16 x 7cm)
Individual Ooni Stack Bowl Volume: 970ml per bowl
Combined Ooni Stack Dimensions (3 Bowls and 1 Lid): 6 x 9″ (16 x 22cm)
Product Weight: 5.2lbs (2.4kg)

I've been making 376g balls and they fit great.

And when I decide to increase my dough making to 16 balls x2 a week. I'd have to order a ton more of these. And while I didn't ask, I'm 100% sure my lady wouldn't be happy with me spending like $900 more on glass proofing containers.  Hell I don't think she'll be happy when I tell her I spend $120 on 3 sets lol. So I suppose I'll just ignore the OCD and buy Pyrex ones from Target.  But she wouldn't be good with $500 in Pyrex bowls either.  I remember the Dough Doctor (RIP SIR!!!!!)  Told me in 2020 to not buy dough mate boxes and do what he does and use 2 penny sandwich bags from Walmart.  I should probably take his advice now or I'll risk digging a hole for myself.

These sure are pretty tho, and the dough slides out smoooooth when I turn 'em upside down. Of course, it's because they're oiled and a Pyrex bowl would do the exact same thing.   There's really nothing much to look at, but I took a pic anyways because it gave me a chance to assemble and test out the LED photo box I just bought.   

I would recommend these for anyone who has money to spend, I'd recommend anything else for sensible people, as outside of using crystal bowls I don't think you could find a more expensive solution lol.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:42:45 PM by Quebert »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Bought Ooni Stacks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 06:47:05 PM »
Ikea for glass lidded bowls.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
Are the bowls large enough to store a 16" NY style dough ball?

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

My 16" balls are 455g and they fit, 3 day CF then room temp for a few hours the dough's just at the point of starting to push on the lid. My formula's pretty light on the yeast so anything above 0.21 it would probably push the lid off. I'm going to make a 16" ball tomorrow with more yeast for a 1 day dough I'll take a pic and post it after it's proofed and is up to room temp.

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
My 16" balls are 455g and they fit, 3 day CF then room temp for a few hours the dough's just at the point of starting to push on the lid. My formula's pretty light on the yeast so anything above 0.21 it would probably push the lid off. I'm going to make a 16" ball tomorrow with more yeast for a 1 day dough I'll take a pic and post it after it's proofed and is up to room temp.

Thanks. I like the idea of using these over my Dough Mates b/c they're dishwasher safe. One less thing to clean.

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:00:06 PM »
Here's something else that relatively cheap: Small blue containers for toppings.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXLJ7L2/?tag=pmak-20

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 10:18:15 AM »
Here's something else that relatively cheap: Small blue containers for toppings.

Those are knockoffs of babadoh containers. For dough they are very sensitive as to how much dough you can use and they can't generally hold a lot.

For toppings I imagine they would absorb odors pretty bad. In the dishwasher I find that the detergent is also harder to rinse off.

Rubbermaid Brilliance (you can probably find them on sale) are glass containers with sealing lids. Those I find work really well for toppings, are dishwasher safe, and you can also use them in the oven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5Y11CB/?tag=pmak-20

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »
For toppings I like stainless food service (steam table) inserts. More durable than glass. Nests together.

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 01:04:28 PM »
Those are knockoffs of babadoh containers. For dough they are very sensitive as to how much dough you can use and they can't generally hold a lot.

For toppings I imagine they would absorb odors pretty bad. In the dishwasher I find that the detergent is also harder to rinse off.

Rubbermaid Brilliance (you can probably find them on sale) are glass containers with sealing lids. Those I find work really well for toppings, are dishwasher safe, and you can also use them in the oven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5Y11CB/?tag=pmak-20

I like them, because I don't make large pizzas. I make small ones. That way there's no pizza hanging around for days & days & days!

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 10:06:42 PM »

I had 1 job and only did it half, I have 2 pics, but forgot to take one after the dough had been in the fridge for 36 hours and had came to room temp. The ball was pushing on the lid after 2.5 hours at RT, but it was still on. Was definitely pushing the limits of how big a ball I'd say you could put in. Top down pics from right after I balled it, which was after I ran a KA mixer for 3'ish minutes then hand kneaded for about 6 more. The side shot's right when I took it out of the fridge.

57% hydration
0.21% ADY
36h CF.

The ball was 500g.

I'm really liking these, with just a small spray of Pam the balls fall right out, and they're super easy to clean. I have 3 sets now and even stacked 6 high they don't feel like they'd ever fall over.  I have more $ than sense *not much of either though lol* so I think I'm going to get 6 more sets so I can have enough for the 24 balls I'll be doing every Sunday, with a few extra because I'm sure I'll screw at least 1 up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:12:54 PM by Quebert »

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 08:51:42 AM »
Absolute disaster using 7cup Pyrex bowls this weekend.  I wiped them with a thin film of olive oil, which apparently wasn't enough as the dough balls were welded to the glass by the time I tried to turn them out.  Maybe I should have hosed them down with cooking spray instead.

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »

I went here & ordered & receive these. They look so cute & will simplify the making of small pizzas!! Since the dough will be in a bowl when it rises, the four containers can be used to hold the toppings for the pizzas.  :)