A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Effects of Humidity  (Read 258 times)

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
Effects of Humidity
« on: May 15, 2022, 04:57:18 AM »
Since joining this forum, I have been making pizza, NY style. Using the same dough, the same flour, same brand yeast etc etc.
For the last few months now, the dough has been different. It is very much softer, sticks to the peel easier, stretches easier. I suspect the constant high relative humidity, due to very frequent rains in Australia. What is the view of the members,  could that have this effect on my doughs ?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Effects of Humidity
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 11:15:51 AM »
Same bag of flour or a new bag? The moisture content in flour from bag-to-bag, but it's unlikely the humidity is playing a meaningful role unless your flour is stored open to the humid air.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Effects of Humidity
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »
Same bag of flour or a new bag? The moisture content in flour from bag-to-bag, but it's unlikely the humidity is playing a meaningful role unless your flour is stored open to the humid air.

Thanks Craig,
New 10 kilo bag, stored in an airtight drum. The last of the previous bag also had the same outcome. Even when mixing the dough, soon after the ball appears, a "pool" of dough forms at the bottom of the bowl, and is not taken up. Going to reduce the hydration from 63% bit by bit to see if that fixes the problem.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress