A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Foolproof neapolitan dough receipe that gets you 75% perfection?  (Read 627 times)

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
Over the past several months I've dived deep into trying to make Neapolitan pizza with my new Roccbox oven but have failed miserably after around 20 attempts and much embarrassment. I think I went too deep in trying to create the perfect pizza and overthinking all the hundreds of variables. Part of the problem stems from the fact that there are so many different conflicting recipes. When you don't know how dough should look and behave intuitively from experience trial and error seems the only way and so far I haven't been successful. My biggest problems have been:

• Inside appearing under-cooked (wet and moist inside but the base and top cooked to the correct level)
  • Pizza tearing when trying to get it onto the peel
  • Pizza tearing when trying to launch into Roccbox
  • Base burning (too much flour I've learnt)
  • Very poor cornicione, around half of what I see in the photos and never airy inside.

I feel that I need to go back to basics and forget about cold fermenting and long fermenting and Poolish and mixing flours and just try create a simple 75% perfect pizza and then slowly over time improve it towards 100% or whatever is possible at home.

So I'm asking this very experienced community if there any consensus on a good/decent basic Neapolitan recipe that is hard to fail at (or at least I should perfect first before trying the more advanced techniques)? Please consider that I only have access to Caputo blue pizzeria flour and my RT is around 26c/79f.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Foolproof neapolitan dough receipe that gets you 75% perfection?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »
The one I gave you in your other thread.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:00:59 PM »
Nothing is foolproof.... And it sounds like a recipe is not the cause of most of your problems. You are experiencing what most of us have gone through in the beginning, and it takes time and practice. Not knowing what you've tried in the past, I would suggest a lower hydration NP dough, and a shorter rest in balls.

60-62% H2O
3% salt
.01% IDY

I would do ~12 hours bulk, and ~12 hr balls. Learn/research how to read the dough when it's ready.

I would use a wood peel to launch, lightly dusted with semolina.... Don't overload your toppings. Less is more.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:06:05 PM »
Neapolitan recipes are easy. You just use flour, water, salt and yeast. The challenging part is finding the ideal amounts of yeast for your intended fermentation schedule and temperaturs. Given enough time, you donít even need much in way of skills when making the dough.

Where the actual magic happens is when itís time to bake. Even with a perfect dough, it takes experience to produce great results. Iíd put my money on a skilled pizzaiolo with a poor dough rather than a beginner with a perfect dough.

If you struggle to troubleshoot your efforts, my best advice is to write down everything you do; amounts, times, temperatures, take photos along the way and post it all here. You can spend time searching the forum, Youtube or internet for every issue instead, but that would most likely just take more time and is less likely to end with success. There is tons of knowledge and expertise here that can help you identify where your troubles lie and how to proceed.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline thezu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:33:08 PM »
.01% IDY

Is that a typo?  One one-hundredth of one percent?  That doesn't seem like "enough" for a short ferment.

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 09:14:52 PM »
Is that a typo?  One one-hundredth of one percent?  That doesn't seem like "enough" for a short ferment.

Not a typo. That is what TXCraigs chart says for 22hrs at 79F.
I personally have never tried a 79F dough, but I've done a lot of other temps with that chart, and they have been fairly accurate.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 10:00:41 PM »
Not a typo. That is what TXCraigs chart says for 22hrs at 79F.
I personally have never tried a 79F dough, but I've done a lot of other temps with that chart, and they have been fairly accurate.

Not sure 22 hours at RT is a short ferment though! :D

I literally did a 60+ hour RT ferment once. I literally put in 3-4 GRAINS of IDY. Wanted to see what would happen. The dough didn't even really move until about 30 hours in.  In all honesty it made a decent pizza, but it was sour. Definately had a sourdough tang to it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »
Several years ago, I ran a series of experiments using very small amounts of yeast (IDY) to make doughs to be fermented at a room temperature of around 80-82F. I used 0.012% IDY and it took about 22 hours to ferment.

The details for the above dough can be seen at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7225.msg62332#msg62332

At the time, Craig's chart didn't exist but much later I checked my numbers against the chart after Craig created it and found that his chart was consistent with my numbers, as I so noted in Reply 175 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7225.msg393294#msg393294

QwertyJuan also makes a nice point about small quantities of yeast and their ability to make a functioning dough with only a few grains. Along the way, I made similar observations about IDY in the post at Reply 55 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7225.msg78615#msg78615

Peter

wordpress