A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Depressed balls  (Read 397 times)

Offline nihonpiza

• I Love Pizza!
Depressed balls
« on: June 08, 2022, 03:51:19 AM »
Iím curious if anyone can lead me in the right direction.  My dough balls are over fermenting? Or what? Iím not sure whatís going on. About 10 hours after being balled they seem overly flat. 48hr CF and seem a bit flat to me. I tried taking some photos of before and after.
Hyd 62%
Idy 0.2%
Salt 2.3%
Sugar 1%
Oil 2.2%
Iím removing from mixer at about 24c
Putting in cooler after balling.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Top photo is after resting.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 05:32:35 PM by nihonpiza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Depressed balls
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »
Those are not over fermented and I would say not even fermented enough.  I would let them grow some more and try them.   Its just the water content that is making them flatten out.  I would maybe try doing 60 percent hydration next time if this bothers you.

The fact that they do not look smooth could be that they are under mixed, but I don't know that for certain because sometimes they just get that look if your dough is on the wetter side and you make dough balls with sticky dough stuck to your hands.  With dough like that its best to use wet or oiled hands to handle the dough during balling. 

Try this..

Wait at least 20 minutes after mixing to form dough balls.  This should help make the dough smoother.   If its really sticky at that point you could have under mixed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:31:41 AM by scott r »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 10:39:56 AM »
Even if undermixed, they should be fine from a gluten-development standpoint after 48h. Time cures undermixing. With 0.2% IDY, 48h is a typical rise time. It's hard to tell from the pics, but if the top pic is the after, it might be about ready. Give them at least 2 hours at room temp before baking. I agree with Scott that they don't look overrisen.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline soler

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 10:40:12 AM »
Looks like you need to work on your balling technique. Gluten maybe a little underdeveloped as well.
What flour are you using and what is the mixing time?

Offline nihonpiza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:31:31 PM »
Thank you.
Mixing time is 12min.
The flour is Japanese. Itís a13% bread flour. I am wondering about my balling techniques too. I also thought about letting the dough test a bit as I noticed by the time I get to the last balls the dough seems smoother.
Looks like you need to work on your balling technique. Gluten maybe a little underdeveloped as well.
What flour are you using and what is the mixing time?

Offline soler

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
Thank you.
Mixing time is 12min.
The flour is Japanese. Itís a13% bread flour. I am wondering about my balling techniques too. I also thought about letting the dough test a bit as I noticed by the time I get to the last balls the dough seems smoother.

Are you making the balls right after the mixing? If so adding a resting time with a couple of slap and folds will definitely help you get a smoother dough. From there you can try and create some more tension when closing the balls.

Offline nihonpiza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 04:08:32 AM »
I was slap and folding after mixing before. I changed to allowing a rest. I had the idea to fold a few after resting, so maybe Iíll change to that. I noticed a better skin when I was opening them after adding the 10 min rest. I had worried about over activation. Of yeast but it seems like that not a problem.
I did a few reballing of the dough balls 12-24 hours before using. I noticed they had a better shape so I could get my cornicione a bit more open structured and puffy. Iím just not sure I should be reballing as itís time consuming and I did notice the dough was harder to open.

Thank you everyone for hr advice.