A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Poolish Dough Flavor Development  (Read 421 times)

Offline mattrichards

Poolish Dough Flavor Development
« on: June 11, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »
Hi all,

My go to recently has been a 48-72hr cold prove (as time allows). No complaints there, but I thought I'd try something different for fun. I prepared a poolish which went into the fridge for 24 hours. I used that to prepare a dough, which I proved again in the fridge for 24 hours. After resting for an hour at room temp, I balled and let the balls rest for two hours before cooking. Texturally they were fantastic. A puffy, open and airy cornicione that had a really nice crispy crunch to it. That being the case, as compared to the 48-72hr cold prove dough, I felt that the flavor of dough once cooked was a little underdeveloped.

So, my questions for you all are... After preparing the poolish and making the dough, could I cold temp prove that for 48 hours instead of 24? Is there anything wrong with extending the prove time for a dough made from a poolish? And lastly, do you think that will yield a more flavorful result?

Your expertise is much appreciated.

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
Re: Poolish Dough Flavor Development
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 03:07:45 PM »
More flavorful is going to be debatable. :)

You can absolutely use a preferment, including poolish, ahead of a longer cold fermentation. You’ll want to adjust how much yeast you’re using, but the additional flour will keep it going.

I used to incorporate poolish in my NY style pizzas, but dropped it as it was and extra step that was ultimately resulting in a softer, less crispy finished crust after baking and I couldn’t detect any substantial flavor difference. I also found it more difficult to scale or adjust recipes, especially when cold fermenting the poolish. No calculators to lean on!

YMMV

Offline mattrichards

Re: Poolish Dough Flavor Development
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 11:08:22 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I extended the CT prove from 24 to 48 hours and there was no additional benefit in terms of flavor development. Texture was still great though. Sigh.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress