A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Does fresh mozzarella freeze/thaw well?  (Read 509 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Does fresh mozzarella freeze/thaw well?
« on: June 17, 2022, 02:46:49 PM »
Say you had left-over balls of fresh mozzarella.  Would freezing/thawing still be good?  [Particularly if the thawing occurs after the cheese's expiration date].

EDIT:  Mods, if you deem appropriate, can you move this thread to the Newbie section?  I feel that subforum has higher traffic than this one which may result in more views/responses.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 04:41:57 PM by 9slicePie »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Does fresh mozzarella freeze/thaw well?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
Say you had left-over balls of fresh mozzarella.  Would freezing/thawing still be good?  [Particularly if the thawing occurs after the cheese's expiration date].
In my opinion, yes. But if I am wrong it wasnt good anyway. Id try it.
-Tony

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »
EDIT:  Mods, if you deem appropriate, can you move this thread to the Newbie section?  I feel that subforum has higher traffic than this one which may result in more views/responses.  Thanks.

Ok, now I'm ask requesting for the mods to move this thread to the Newbie or General Pizza Making subforum.

Been a couple of days and only 1 response (which I appreciate, but looking for more input).   Those 2 forums are more "active".

EDIT:  Thanks, Mod!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:32:44 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 08:20:14 PM »
A very wise man once told me that "it's not just how about much money you make, Michael, but also what you do with it after you get it."
I was a mere pup at the time, and it didn't really sink in.

A year or so later, someone we knew won the lottery. It was 1980, when a million dollars was almost unfathomable riches.
(I'd just taken out a bank loan for about $14,000 to buy my home.)
Still young and dumb, I was fantasising out loud in the locker room about all the things I'd buy with that much money.

Enter the wise man:
"I would not buy a thing with that money."
"You wouldn't?"
"Nope, bank interest is running nearly 10%, I'd put it in the bank."
"That's not much fun."
"I'd have lots of fun. I'd take the $100,000 a year interest, and have a ball with it. And I'd always have that million bucks."
That one sank in.

Why am I telling you this?
Because, the lesson about "it's not just about how much money you make, but what you do with it" really sank in at that point.
It was just after my 20th birthday, 42 years ago, but I remember that conversation with Simmo, may he RIP, as if it were this morning.
From that point I was  far more careful with money - spend it yes, but spend it as wisely as possible.
For example, when food that is still perfectly useable is nearing its expiration date, and is reduced by 40, 60, 80% at the supermarket, we buy as much as we think we can use and freeze it.

And with that in mind, here is a picture of my freezer, a couple years ago.
 :-D
If you look carefully, you should spot at least 4 varieties of mozzarella (there are actually 5 varieties in there). The serrano ham on the left that was marked down to $2.16 is usually $7.
All of this stuff eats perfectly well. The only thing I do is have an occasional sort out to ensure the oldest stuff is at the front to be used first.
And yes, months after the expiration date it's still fine.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:31:04 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »
If you prefer a short answer:
YES!
Mick

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:17:01 AM »

Thanks

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 11:30:34 PM »
A very wise man once told me that "it's not just how about much money you make, Michael, but also what you do with it after you get it."
I was a mere pup at the time, and it didn't really sink in.

A year or so later, someone we knew won the lottery. It was 1980, when a million dollars was almost unfathomable riches.
(I'd just taken out a bank loan for about $14,000 to buy my home.)
Still young and dumb, I was fantasising out loud in the locker room about all the things I'd buy with that much money.

Enter the wise man:
"I would not buy a thing with that money."
"You wouldn't?"
"Nope, bank interest is running nearly 10%, I'd put it in the bank."
"That's not much fun."
"I'd have lots of fun. I'd take the $100,000 a year interest, and have a ball with it. And I'd always have that million bucks."
That one sank in.

Why am I telling you this?
Because, the lesson about "it's not just about how much money you make, but what you do with it" really sank in at that point.
It was just after my 20th birthday, 42 years ago, but I remember that conversation with Simmo, may he RIP, as if it were this morning.
From that point I was  far more careful with money - spend it yes, but spend it as wisely as possible.
For example, when food that is still perfectly useable is nearing its expiration date, and is reduced by 40, 60, 80% at the supermarket, we buy as much as we think we can use and freeze it.

And with that in mind, here is a picture of my freezer, a couple years ago.
If you look carefully, you should spot at least 4 varieties of mozzarella (there are actually 5 varieties in there). The serrano ham on the left that was marked down to $2.16 is usually $7.
All of this stuff eats perfectly well. The only thing I do is have an occasional sort out to ensure the oldest stuff is at the front to be used first.
And yes, months after the expiration date it's still fine.

Mick...'ol boy....Bob could take one Chiko off your hands. Give ya extra roomy for the cheese mate!   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 07:56:17 AM »
      Mick...'ol boy....Bob could take one Chiko off your hands. Give ya extra roomy for the cheese mate!   :drool:
You know the  Chiko roll?  :o
Have they actually made it to the other side the planet? 8)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:05:43 AM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 12:45:39 PM »
You know the  Chiko roll?  :o
Have they actually made it to the other side the planet? 8)

I don't think so..... But I saw the box in your freezer and thought I would look them up. They look like something I would enjoy I would like to give one a rip.    8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »
They are good mate. In a cabbagey, use any uneaten pastry to bullet proof the doors on your truck sort of way............. :-D
Mick