A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is a normal/expectable amount of weight loss?  (Read 336 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
What is a normal/expectable amount of weight loss?
« on: June 19, 2022, 04:00:50 AM »
Hello, friends.

Happy fathers day to all the dads! Today I will be experimenting with a new Sicilian pizza pie. I have a quick question. On paper, I should have ended with a dough ball weighing 1,349 grams. I did not see very much bowl residue at all. However, the weighed dough just out of the mixer was just 1,317 grams. That is just over an ounce shy of what I was expecting. My question is twofold, is an ounce of dough loss normal/ acceptable? Not seeing what would account for the ounce of loss left in the bowl, what else would account for the weight loss? Could it be evaporation? Thanks for any help. Photo of my today's fledgling "Pop-Pop" pie for attention. 16X16 seasoned and oiled aluminum pan. 48 hrs of cold ferment straight from the mixer to the refrigerator. What constitutes a "Pop-Pop" pie you ask? Check the Sicilian board for the specs later. I want to document the criteria of my new creation here with a date stamp. Should the pie become a commercial success, this will sway others that would make claim to inventing the Pop-Pop pie. It's fitting I think that today is Fathers day 2022! Smile. Please don't take me too seriously, I like to have fun with my baking/pizza making.
Kind regards,
Will Falzon (AKA The Roadside Pie King)
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: What is a normal/expectable amount of weight loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 12:13:37 PM »
Mistake in measurement or leaving out an ingredient is usually why numbers don't match after mixing dough. I've caught the mistakes by weighing after removing from bowl. Not implying that you made a mistake. :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 12:22:03 PM »
My practice in using my KitchenAid stand mixer has been to use a dough residue compensation of about 1.5% for a basic dough, like the NY style. Invariably, the measured dough weight was a bit greater than the weight using the baker's percents.

Peter

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 12:26:25 PM »
Mistake in measurement or leaving out an ingredient is usually why numbers don't match after mixing dough. I've caught the mistakes by weighing after removing from bowl. Not implying that you made a mistake. :)

That was my first thought. I could not track down an error. Error in scaling is a possibility.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 06:13:53 PM »
I suppose it could also be a faulty scale?  IMO, it's hard to get one that is completely reliable..

The same goes for temperature measuring devices, if I put four of them in the same place, all four will show a different temperature..  <grumble>
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress