A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help with my first sourdough starter!!!  (Read 168 times)

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
Help with my first sourdough starter!!!
« on: June 24, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »
I started my first sourdough starter on June 21st (8pm) and I'm a little surprised and confused with the results so far. I know very little about making a sourdough starter so any advice and/or pointers is appreciated.

So as I said I whipped it up on the 21st following the Chainbakers instructions on youtube

which starts with 50g filtered room temp water and 50g flour, mix and cover with loose lid and leave on the counter for 24hrs, then (day 2) remove 50g of starter from the jar and replace with 25g each water and flour, then continue this schedule for 6 days.

After the first 24hrs there was basically no change in the starter, as I expected according to the video. So I removed the 50g and added flour and water. After 18hrs I took a glance at the starter which I expected not to have changed much but to my surprise it had easily tripled in size. I wasn't sure what to do, wether to leave it go the full 24hrs or to remove 50g again and feed it, so I decided to go ahead and feed it right away. About 6hrs after it's 2nd feeding (day 3) the starter had doubled in size already, I let it be for 23hrs, the starter never grew much past the double in size mark and when I looked at it today it had collapsed down somewhat. So (today day 4) I removed again 50g & replaced.

1. I'm not sure why the starter tripled in size on day 3 at 18hrs, 2. don't know if I should have let it go the full 24hrs before feeding or if it was ok to feed it early, and 3. since it grew to double in size then collapsed is it still good, should I continue feeding or start over again.

I am using white unbleached unmalted flour with a protein of around 12.5%. Water has been around 20-21.5c.  My kitchen temp is a little unstable because I have a window air conditioner, the temp these past few days would range between 19c - 23c.

The following pictures where taken today before I removed and replaced any mixture. You can see by the elastic how much it collapsed back down before feeding it today.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Help with my first sourdough starter!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »
Just feed it as you are every 24 hours and don't think about it. Just feed it and forget it. In another week you'll have a good starter.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress