A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New owner of a Famag IM-S 10  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
New owner of a Famag IM-S 10
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
I guess I got lucky...

Decided to check the "Clearance" section over at Pleasanthillgrain.com, and lo and behold, they had a brand-new IM-10S on sale. Reduced by $300.

I just couldn't pass it up...

So,...now I need some insights, tips & tricks from you guys who already own a Famag since this is my first spiral mixer.

I'm not even sure what to ask for, so type away  ;D

Much appreciated, as always!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:44:11 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
Re: New owner of a Famag IM-S 10
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 09:59:25 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase.  You're gonna love it!!!  I have the Sunmix 10 but same rules apply.  Add all the flour and yeast first and add about 60% of the water and mix on low.  Once the dough comes together a bit I add the salt.  Gradually add 30% of the remaining water until the dough comes together and starts to form a pumpkin around the breaker bar.  Let it rest for 15 minutes, covering the bowl with a towel.  Then add the remaining 10% of the water and increase the speed ( the higher the hydration % the faster you want to mix) until you have a nice pumpkin around the breaker bar and the dough has completely moved from the side of the bowl.  It should be satiny smooth by now.  Remove from the bowl and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes and see if you need to perform any stretch and folds.  If not, bulk ferment at your desired fermentation regimen.  Pay attention to the final dough temp.  I like 75-78f.  I usually start with cold water and use IDY.  I throw the yeast right into the flour and start the mixer without any water to sort of de-clump the flour for about a minute then start adding the water.  These mixers develop gluten rather quickly and will heat up the dough if you don't pay attention.  Some guys like to add about 70% of the water and salt first then add the dry ingredients.  I've done both methods numerous times but have found the first method works best.  Either way, these things are dough machines.  After a few attempts you will find what works best for you.  Hope this helps a bit!  Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:05:49 AM by billg »

Offline jenea

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »
I own a sunmix, but I dont think that matters. great purchase! the main thing I figured out quickly is with spiral mixers, you develop gluten real fast. much faster than a kitchen aid type mixer, so watch out for over mixing. the other thing is that I found ways to use the mixer more often, maybe trying to justify the price. so bread and other things. but bagels have been a mainstay now. spirals make the best bagels.

unlike Billg, I put the water in first, then the yeast to soak a little while I measure out the flour and other ingredients. I use instant yeast, but find it does make a small difference but letting it hydrate a little even if its just a minute or two. so add all the rest of the ingredients, mix on low speed for about 2 min to mix everything, then 4-5 min on about 50% speed till a nice pumpkin is formed around the breaker bar.

Enjoy your new toy!

john

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 01:47:55 PM »
Bill & John,

Many thanks for the detailed information! It's very helpful.

It'll be a new dough making experience for me. I have used the Bosch Universal Plus for years and it did an amazing job, so the Famag will be a big step up.

I'll still continue to use the BUP for smaller batches and for shredding cheese.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
Mike, I think they have covered how to use it, one tip from me is cleaning.  I lift up the top, and take out the dough, then go with the bowl still on the mixer, use a spong to clean the spiral and the breaker bar -  the drippings will just fall into the bowl.  Then take off the bowl and clean it.  Hope you enjoy it, it is a great mixer.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »
Mike, I think they have covered how to use it, one tip from me is cleaning.  I lift up the top, and take out the dough, then go with the bowl still on the mixer, use a spong to clean the spiral and the breaker bar -  the drippings will just fall into the bowl.  Then take off the bowl and clean it.  Hope you enjoy it, it is a great mixer.

Barry,
Thanksa million! Very helpful 👍
Mike

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 06:43:47 PM »
I saw one a while ago on clearance and was able to exercise restraint and walk away from the computer.

Not sure I have the strength to do it again.

Enjoy the new toy!

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 09:45:20 PM »
I saw one a while ago on clearance and was able to exercise restraint and walk away from the computer.

Not sure I have the strength to do it again.

Enjoy the new toy!

Looks like you're mentally stronger than me!  ;D

I had a spiral on my radar for at least 3-4 years, but I couldn't find anything that would have been satisfactory, money-wise, until yesterday.

However, it won't be a toy for simple homemade pizza. It's going to be used in production. That's why I bought it.

Initial tests will be done at home, though.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »
Question about capacity and max dough size...

On PleasantHill's website the IM-10S is listed with a capacity of 22lbs of dough.

Has anyone done more in it and how did the mixer perform?
Mike

Offline lennyk

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 07:30:08 PM »
a spiral is a whole new ball game, I love my 8s

i am from the water in first camp, I could be wrong but maybe I dont run it long enough which is why I may have gotten some dry clumping with water last
I also think the volume of dough affects the chance of dry clumping, if there is enough dough for the hook to grab and move it will pickup dry bits better

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 09:49:05 PM »
I would totally have agreed with that assessment, as it makes total sense.  Once I tried a few maximum capacity batches I realized that for some reason the famag will have dry clumping.  it seems to do this with small batches, or really large batches, but not with anything in the middle.   Of course hydration effects this too and with high hydration its never a problem. 

My fix when doing max capacity with low to medium hydration doughs is to start the mixer with a 100% hydration dough first for just a minute or two, then add in the rest of the flour.  It works great for me with no dry bits at the bottom.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 07:46:38 AM »
holding back 10% of the water and dribbling down the side of the bowl is insurance as the water will get down below where the dry clumps tend to hide out of contact with the main ball.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 04:26:33 PM »
Thanks guys!

My hydration is 68%. Dry clumping shouldn't be a problem then?
Mike

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 06:57:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

My hydration is 68%. Dry clumping shouldn't be a problem then?

You should be fine at 63-68%.  Just hold back maybe 5-10% and drizzle down the side of the bowl and you should never have any problems, especially at 68%.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 07:09:38 PM »
You should be fine at 63-68%.  Just hold back maybe 5-10% and drizzle down the side of the bowl and you should never have any problems, especially at 68%.

Thank you, Sir! 👍

Does that apply to the max capacity as well?

Hopefully, I'm not asking face palm questions here. I guess I'll find out over the weekend. Delivery is scheduled for Friday.
Mike

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 07:19:37 PM »
Thank you, Sir! 👍

Does that apply to the max capacity as well?

Hopefully, I'm not asking face palm questions here. I guess I'll find out over the weekend. Delivery is scheduled for Friday.

These mixers seem to actually work better when they are at near capacity. I also find that clumping is less.  I did notice that my old Famag left more clumps  than my Sunmix does which I attribute to the spiral design and proximity to the breaker bar.  I know famag has addressed this in their newer models which brings  the spiral closer to the breaker bar aiding smaller batches.  Les clumping occurs in larger batches in my experience.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 10:40:48 AM »
There is some interesting mixing info here besides the comparison.

Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline lennyk

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 06:53:14 AM »
can you summarize for the non German language folks ?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
can you summarize for the non German language folks ?

Use the CC button and auto translate.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 08:14:46 AM »
Hans,  thanks ,  I had never tried the auto translate.  It is good, but not great, in translating to English.  My summary, and I skimmed parts, is that he thought the Sunmix is a nicer machine, he liked the design of the spiral hook, which tapers in thickness from top to bottom, felt it processed the dough silghtly more quickly than the Famag, could handle a larger load and had a timer which was a plus.  Again, the translation is not ideal, but as best as I could understand it, he said the Famag does a very nice job, the main advantage is the removevable bowl, which allows for easier cleaning.  I took it that while the Sunmix was nicer, the advantage was not dramatic.   
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .