A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help with dough balls  (Read 621 times)

Offline bnew17

Help with dough balls
« on: July 02, 2022, 11:46:39 PM »
I have been making pizzas for right at a month since I got my Ooni oven. It has been a learning experience for sure mainly due to the dough balls I feel like. When I see pictures of other peoples dough balls, or videos online…they are pretty much rounded over and look great. Mine are extremely sticky, and instead of being in a ball shape they form to whatever shape container ai have them in,,,which is usually a round plastic container. Getting them out is a real chore and typically ends up with a non uniform shaped ball. What is the trick to getting a dough ball that is easy to handle??? I have no idea what to change/tweak. My next atep was going to be to work the dough longer. Thanks!!

Below is my recipe
-523 grams Caputo 00 flour
-340 ml water
-15 grams salt
-1/8 tsp ady
-mix then knead for 10 min
-cover and rest for 2 hours
-make into 4 dough balls
-rest for 24 hrs
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 11:48:43 PM by bnew17 »

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Help with dough balls
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 12:35:19 AM »
I have been making pizzas for right at a month since I got my Ooni oven. It has been a learning experience for sure mainly due to the dough balls I feel like. When I see pictures of other peoples dough balls, or videos online…they are pretty much rounded over and look great. Mine are extremely sticky, and instead of being in a ball shape they form to whatever shape container ai have them in,,,which is usually a round plastic container. Getting them out is a real chore and typically ends up with a non uniform shaped ball. What is the trick to getting a dough ball that is easy to handle??? I have no idea what to change/tweak. My next atep was going to be to work the dough longer. Thanks!!

Below is my recipe
-523 grams Caputo 00 flour
-340 ml water
-15 grams salt
-1/8 tsp ady
-mix then knead for 10 min
-cover and rest for 2 hours
-make into 4 dough balls
-rest for 24 hrs
The first thing I would consider doing would be to lower the hydration. 65% is theoretically possible with a "00" flour, but that's definitely on the high side. Cutting down to more like 60% should make your dough way easier to handle.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline ARenko

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 05:29:14 AM »
First, it's nice when posters use baker %'s so we don't have to convert.  What are the fermetation temps for the 2 and 24 hours?   

Using this calculator - https://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/baking/dry-yeast/convert-tea-spoon-tsp-to-gram-g-of-dry-yeast.html#:~:text=The%20answer%20is%3A%20The%20change,same%20active%20dry%20yeast%20type. - that's about .067% of ADY.  Based on this chart from TXCraig, 26 hours with .067% ADY would require low 60's F fermentation temp...   

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590

What do the balls look like - any photos?  If your temps are too warm for the amount of yeast you may be overfermenting, making them difficult to handle.  I wouild also strongly recommend to get a scale that can measure down to .01g rather than using a spoon.  Look for jeweler scales on amazon.

Are you using a mixer?  If so, it would be good for you to know your final dough temp - too high and it can also lead to over fermenting.

Also agree with RHawthorne that hydration is on the high end for Caputo 00.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 06:42:40 AM »
Agree with both RHawthorne and ARenko. I was going to say reduce water to 207 g, which is a shy 61%. If that partially fixes things, the next thing I would try is less time in balls. A lot of slumping can happen in 24 hrs. Keep the total time the same (may have to reduce yeast) but ball it up later in the process, like 6-8 hours before you want to use it.
-Tony

Offline bnew17

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
First, it's nice when posters use baker %'s so we don't have to convert.  What are the fermetation temps for the 2 and 24 hours?   

Using this calculator - https://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/baking/dry-yeast/convert-tea-spoon-tsp-to-gram-g-of-dry-yeast.html#:~:text=The%20answer%20is%3A%20The%20change,same%20active%20dry%20yeast%20type. - that's about .067% of ADY.  Based on this chart from TXCraig, 26 hours with .067% ADY would require low 60's F fermentation temp...   

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590

What do the balls look like - any photos?  If your temps are too warm for the amount of yeast you may be overfermenting, making them difficult to handle.  I wouild also strongly recommend to get a scale that can measure down to .01g rather than using a spoon.  Look for jeweler scales on amazon.

Are you using a mixer?  If so, it would be good for you to know your final dough temp - too high and it can also lead to over fermenting.

Also agree with RHawthorne that hydration is on the high end for Caputo 00.

I do have a scale I bought from walmart. I have only been using it for the flour. It measures by .1,,,i think. I will check to make sure. But I believe that is why I had to measure the yeast like I did, because it would not register on the scale.

As far as the temps. I was following the recipe for Vicenzo (sp?) on youtube and he mentioned to knead the dough until it was between 73-77 deg F. Well i kneaded for about 1 min and it was at 78. I am in Georgia. Very hot and very humid. The recipe I posted is not his, but I did try his one time.

I will get pictures of the dough next time and post.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 08:22:09 AM by bnew17 »

Offline ARenko

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
I'm in the Houston area, so same conditions.  I put the flour and water in the fridge to chill so it doesn't get so hot when mixing.  You can use a formula to try and hit a target dough temp based on ingredient temps, room temp, and type of mixer.

Still not sure of your fermentation temp, but if room temp you could have over fermented the dough. Also, if you hit 78F after one minute and kneaded for 10 min, then it was probably pretty high temp, which could lead to over fermenting and/ or breaking down the gluten making the dough wet/ "soupy."  Or did you stop at 1 min, in which case it probably wasn't kneaded enough.

I keep my place at 76F and use very small amount of yeast according to the chart I posted (if doing room temp ferment for that long).  I also sometimes keep the mixing very short and utilize stretch and folds. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 09:15:50 AM by ARenko »

Offline bnew17

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 07:43:09 PM »
Agree with both RHawthorne and ARenko. I was going to say reduce water to 207 g, which is a shy 61%. If that partially fixes things, the next thing I would try is less time in balls. A lot of slumping can happen in 24 hrs. Keep the total time the same (may have to reduce yeast) but ball it up later in the process, like 6-8 hours before you want to use it.

I just tried reducing water to 207 and it was so dry it would hardly form a dough ball. I will report back with results.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 08:11:27 PM »
I just tried reducing water to 207 and it was so dry it would hardly form a dough ball. I will report back with results.
Strange.  61% (I haven't checked the math) shouldn't be dry at all.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:00:15 PM »
Can't follow what's going on here.
If you are adding 207g water to your original 523g flour, that is 40% hydration. :o
"Dryer than a dead dingo's donger" as we say here in Oz (somewhat crude I suppose but, hey, I'm an Aussie  ::) :-D)
I do believe there was a bit of a typo.
If you want to use 523 g flour at 61%, you need 523 x 0.61 = 319g water.
Mick

Offline bnew17

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:57 PM »
Can't follow what's going on here.
If you are adding 207g water to your original 523g flour, that is 40% hydration. :o
"Dryer than a dead dingo's donger" as we say here in Oz (somewhat crude I suppose but, hey, I'm an Aussie  ::) :-D)
I do believe there was a bit of a typo.
If you want to use 523 g flour at 61%, you need 523 x 0.61 = 319g water.

;D ;D ;D  I was thinking this can’t be right but hey i know less than nothing so I rolled with it, lol. I will try it again!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:13:54 PM by bnew17 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »
Going back over it, it appears I took your water amount of 340 and multiplied it by 61%, which is 207.4. Sorry for the confusion. It should have been your flour amount of 523 x 61%, which is 319 g.

Thanks, Mick, for catching this. bnew17: it’s easiest for everyone, including yourself, to understand if you show each ingredient as a percent of the flour’s weight.
-Tony

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 09:01:05 AM »
Going back over it, it appears I took your water amount of 340 and multiplied it by 61%, which is 207.4.
Ah, that's how it happened! I was going over the different ways the number could have turned up wrong on your calculator, and I couldn't guess how the error occurred.
I eventually concluded you must sit up in the dark nursing your insomnia like I do. :'(
With only the light of the monitor to work with I often fat finger it and mistype things.
Mick

Offline bnew17

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »
Ok, wanted to updated everyone. I took everyones advice, lowered the hydration, less yeast, balled the dough up 8 hrs prior and got great results. Best pies yet!  Dough was much much easier to handle and launch.

Offline bnew17

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 11:09:32 AM »
The 4th picture is a pizza my wife came up with. She calls it “ The Texan”  :-D. It has a mixture if red and tomatillo salsa on the base, followed by some smoked pulled pork. Topped with mozz and white cheddar cheese. Once it was almost done cooking she drizzled queso cheese and Mexican crema on it. Very good!!!

The next to last pizza is an apple pie dessert pizza she came up with. Base of cream cheese/powdered sugar/vanilla. Next was granny smith apples she cooked down with brown sugar, butter, and spices. At the very end she drizzled caramel sauce over the top! Very good as well!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:11:46 AM by bnew17 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »
Ok, wanted to updated everyone. I took everyones advice, lowered the hydration, less yeast, balled the dough up 8 hrs prior and got great results. Best pies yet!  Dough was much much easier to handle and launch.
Nice going and congratulations! Sorry for confusing you above, it was definitely my mistake. Glad you have worked through it.
-Tony

Offline ARenko

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 03:41:38 PM »
Nice.  Looks good.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 11:47:13 PM »
I'm glad we were able to help you along. The pizzas look quite nice.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

wordpress