A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Roberta's 50/50  (Read 4860 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Roberta's 50/50
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
I'm just an amateur but I think that Roberta's NYT formula works fine.

First is a [email protected] second is from home oven @550F from the same bulk dough mix.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:10:35 PM by HBolte »
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Roberta's 50/50
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:45:11 PM »
Both look excellent!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
In practice, maybe. But not in theory. ;)

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Both look great Hans! Describe some of the differences you noticed between the two.....
Bob

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
Bob, it's all about the temperature and bake time as you know.

The BS pie had a very light tender crust that leaned toward a Neapolitan style. The home oven was was a harder crust with a really nice chew like a NY style. Neither was better, just depends what you're in the mood for. Nice easy formula that produces good results.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Dr. Mike’s Landing Page
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »
Both look fantastic.
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM5
Mecnosud IM8M

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »

The BS pie had a very light tender crust that leaned toward a Neapolitan style. The home oven was was a harder crust with a really nice chew like a NY style. Neither was better, just depends what you're in the mood for. Nice easy formula that produces good results.

Those are the same differences I noticed as well. It's interesting to bake the same dough a couple of different ways.....
Bob

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »
Hans:

Great results!  I am not surprised the high heat pie looks so good.  I had previously made an SD Roberta's recipe in the 700s.  I remember I liked it a lot but it was not notable.  I think I posted it then.

And, so nice to be able to see an excellent example at 550.

Did you bake that one on a stone or a steel?  How long did it bake?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

^^^
Deb

Offline jvp123

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »

The pies look exactly as you described.  Both look excellent in different ways.  Nice work.
Jeff

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »
Hans:

Great results!  I am not surprised the high heat pie looks so good.  I had previously made an SD Roberta's recipe in the 700s.  I remember I liked it a lot but it was not notable.  I think I posted it then.

Did you bake that one on a stone or a steel?  How long did it bake?

Thanks Mitch, it was baked on a stone. I didn't keep track of the time but if I had to guess it was about 7-9 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:54:57 AM by HBolte »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
Thanks everyone, the good members of the forum really make me want to try different formulas and techniques.

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Both look excellent!!

jon

^^^ but the top BS looks exttra good  :drool: Can you show us the bottoms also or is that too early in our relationship? ;D

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »
^^^ but the top BS looks exttra good  :drool: Can you show us the bottoms also or is that too early in our relationship? ;D

Now that I'm getting to know you better I'll start taking photos of the bottoms!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »
Just to play devils advocate...

What do you think the Caputo is bringing to the table in the home oven bakes that a single variety of bread flour could not do?  The pies both look great, and the home oven pie is certainly not pale, but at 7-9 minutes bake time and judging by the color of the exposed sauce, cheese, and toppings I would bet you would get more color and a little bit of contrast with 100% malted flour.
-Jeff

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
I think the finer and more refined 00 flour does what a finer and more refined flour does anywhere -- it makes a lighter crumb and, all other things being equal, allows for less water in the formula to achieve a similar effective hydration.

But, that is just theory.  I've made this formula with all purpose flour and 00 flour.  I have no recollection of which I preferred.  One of the primary reasons I use the 00 flour is because I have the 00 flour.  I recognize that is not a reason to go out of one's way to buy it, and that I really should try the formula again with the KAAP flour instead and see how it compares.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »
I think the finer and more refined 00 flour does what a finer and more refined flour does anywhere -- it makes a lighter crumb and, all other things being equal, allows for less water in the formula to achieve a similar effective hydration.

But, that is just theory.  I've made this formula with all purpose flour and 00 flour.  I have no recollection of which I preferred.  One of the primary reasons I use the 00 flour is because I have the 00 flour.  I recognize that is not a reason to go out of one's way to buy it, and that I really should try the formula again with the KAAP flour instead and see how it compares.

Given KAAP is 11.7% protein and Caputo Chef's Flour (if that is what you have) is 13.5%, the 50/50 mix is about 12.6%.  A better comparison, attempting to control for Caputo vs. malted flour, may be with 100% KABF which is at 12.7%. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:45:08 AM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
Well THAT ain't going to happen. If I bring another flour in the house I will be murdered in my sleep. Plus I don't need another flour to get the results I want.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
Well THAT ain't going to happen. If I bring another flour in the house I will be murdered in my sleep. Plus I don't need another flour to get the results I want.

Pretty severe punishment........
Mitch

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
Just to play devils advocate...

What do you think the Caputo is bringing to the table in the home oven bakes that a single variety of bread flour could not do?  The pies both look great, and the home oven pie is certainly not pale, but at 7-9 minutes bake time and judging by the color of the exposed sauce, cheese, and toppings I would bet you would get more color and a little bit of contrast with 100% malted flour.

Good question. I'm quite new at this pizza making. I have had success using formulas provided by members. I am now starting to experiment a bit which is why I decided to try a dough in the 550 oven that works great at 840.

I think that you are correct that the Caputo pie baked at 550 although very good, is not as good as baking in the home oven without the Caputo.