A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Elements of Pizza  (Read 16395 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Elements of Pizza
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
 yes, i am!! Lou[ hotsauce] killed it. friend's and family was perfect! Lou"s Detroit dough was lighter than anything we had in Detroit. his cheese and sauce combo was absolutely Delicious. lots of big hitters in NYC pizza were there and they were analyzing the pie to figure it out. Quite cool to see.
 first night of service was Wednesday and they had a full house with waits until close. i will post pictures as soon as i get some free time.   

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
Awesome, the photos of his pies look fantastic!
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline dineomite

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 04:11:37 PM »
I picked up a few nuggets, but IMHO it's just another book for home pizza makers. I dig how he makes it clear that you don't need a mixer.

pm.com is a more valuable resource for any pizza making endeavor.

A very succinct summation. By no means a groundbreaking pizza book. Like the previous comments, the use of 00 is very perplexing.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
 i like this book a lot. the information on the Italian chefs is great. his discussion of the heavy salt use in neapolitan dough is the exact reasoning i used when dropping the amount. i always felt the salt in the dough slaps you in the face. some neapolitan pizzerias are even higher than 3 percent. he reasoned it was to control fermentation as they do not refrigerate their dough.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 02:37:07 PM »
Larry,

You might remember this thread that you started on the subject of salt in Neapolitan style doughs:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12260.msg115965#msg115965

My recollection is that your nutritionist wife had an influence on you on the amount of salt that you use in pizza doughs.

Peter

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
I really like it too.  Based on my success baking bread with FWSY, I have ordered a baking steel and will use his recipes to see how they work out.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline jaywillie

• Yumm, pizza.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
And now Ken has added pizza content to his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KensArtisan
A day without pizza is like a day without pizza.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
For those who are against the use of 00 flour in the home oven -- do you find this pizza unappealing?  The crumb looks sublime to me.

David Snyder's Pizza

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
One of the primary reasons I use the 00 flour is because I have the 00 flour.  I recognize that is not a reason to go out of one's way to buy it, and that I really should try the formula again with the KAAP flour instead and see how it compares.

Did you ever do the comparison for yourself? 

BTW, interestingly, it looks like Ken Forkish still says that he uses Shepherd's Grain Low Gluten when he makes his own pizzas as Ken's Artisan.  This flour is malted and not 00 consistency.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
Did you ever do the comparison for yourself? 

BTW, interestingly, it looks like Ken Forkish still says that he uses Shepherd's Grain Low Gluten when he makes his own pizzas as Ken's Artisan.  This flour is malted and not 00 consistency.
I can't bring myself to bake with 100% flours that are so refined.  So, most of the time when I use the Caputo flour I mix it with 50% whole wheat. I have also made 50/50 blends with all purpose flour.  But not with an eye toward comparing the pies.  One day I will keep better track of things.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
Ah, well David, I think if you' d tried 00 straight in your home oven...as i did once just to see, is a true blah experience. When baking it on BS, I often blend  with HG for texture and crispness, but admittedly never WW for health  reasons). I think Forkish, who I love, is just way off-base on this. I don't get it really.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
For those who are against the use of 00 flour in the home oven -- do you find this pizza unappealing?  The crumb looks sublime to me.

David Snyder's Pizza

I noticed he places his doughballs in a baggie with one tablespoon of olive oil.
That will help 00 dough to brown at home oven temps.
I find that unappealing.
Practice makes pizza

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »
I noticed he places his doughballs in a baggie with one tablespoon of olive oil.
That will help 00 dough to brown at home oven temps.
I find that unappealing.
More than that, he brushes olive oil on the dough before topping.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

David Snyder's Pizza

I don't remember anyone ever knocking '00' in a home oven over the crumb?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »
I had looked forward to Forkish's book and found a good deal of interesting information  in it. However the fruit of the pudding is in the eating, and my first effort found the book wanting. I tried the 48-72 hour recipe but was disappointed in the result.  While the crust was flavorful and the dough itself was very extensible, it was not light and lacked a high border, in contrast to the pizza on the cover.  My initial conclusion is that Caputo is less suited for the home oven.

bakerbill

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »
How was Kubans bar pizza recipe? 

Been wanting to check that recipe out ever since he posted a blurry picture of it on Instagram.

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 05:48:24 AM »
How was Kubans bar pizza recipe? 

Been wanting to check that recipe out ever since he posted a blurry picture of it on Instagram.

I tried to PM you, but your box is full
Pat

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »
I'm confused....... I got this book for Father's Day and have enjoyed the read thus far but.......in looking at the dough formulas it seems that either my math is incorrect or there are some rather sizeable errors in the IDY calculations as given. Specifically in the Saturday dough, Single dough ball, Saturday pan dough, 48 to 72 hour NY dough, and the Al Taglio dough. Am I missing something? Could somebody check the math please? Those trying these formulas, especially those new to pizza making are going to have results that are all over the map.....

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:11:12 AM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
Yep, looks like someone missed a decimal point. Should be 3g IDY.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
Yep, looks like someone missed a decimal point. Should be 3g IDY.
And that messed up the volume measurement for the IDY.

Peter

wordpress