A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lloyd Pans Sticking Even With Crisco  (Read 1738 times)

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
Lloyd Pans Sticking Even With Crisco
« on: March 23, 2022, 07:16:30 PM »
Hi Guys, I've been making DSP pies for about 6 months on my food truck. I have about 40 Lloyd's pans. The pans seem to be sticking more and more. The sticking occurs only where the cheddar rim is. We use crisco to coat the pans before we pan the dough. We tried to just chisel out the cheese and avoid washing the pans to see if they would get better at not sticking, but the opposite seems to be happening. I then washed the pans in warm soapy water, they worked better with less sticking for one use. But even so, the release was nothing like what you might see with a seasoned steel round pan - I still had to chisel the pizzas out somewhat.

Any ideas? Has anyone put these DSP lloyd pans into production with regular use and avoided this issue? Plz help! Thx

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Lloyd Pans Sticking Even With Crisco
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
same thing happened to me....I really dislike the Lloyd pans, I had about 40 as well. got rid of em, sold em for cheap got these pans https://detroitstylepizza.com work like a charm, I would suggest getting them already pre seasoned and then seasoning them a bit more, getting them unseasoned creates quite the amount of smoke. hope this helps

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 09:05:54 AM »
I agree with the advice to avoid Lloyd pans. I don't know what you'd do to a pan to make it stick more than others, but they seem to do whatever it is.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 02:40:22 PM »
What tool are you using the remove the Pizza.  If you are using a square spatula some of those have a beveled end and also edges that can scrape the pan.  I use  a 8" bakers spatula with rounded end, Dexter has these.  On a side note, when working to release press down on the cheese at the edge not the pan, then slide the spatula along the edge, you don't want to be chipping along the edge, slide it while moving up and down in a cutting motion keeping the spatula end below the top cheese line.  The rounded edge prevents scraping and technique will assist with not damaging the coating.  The Dexters are nice because the spatula is light and flexible and doesn't naturally apply too much pressure against the pan.  Spatula is very thin as well.  I use the 8" dexter bakers spatula and Tuff Coat pans.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:44:31 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 02:53:44 PM »
I break them free with an inexpensive putty knife from Ace Hardware, they are super thin and work great on steel or Lloyd DS pans.

Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 05:21:03 PM »
I've always just run a knife down the edges. I'll give a putty knife a try.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 05:23:21 PM »
same thing happened to me....I really dislike the Lloyd pans, I had about 40 as well. got rid of em, sold em for cheap got these pans https://detroitstylepizza.com work like a charm, I would suggest getting them already pre seasoned and then seasoning them a bit more, getting them unseasoned creates quite the amount of smoke. hope this helps

THanks bud. I did buy one of those to test out right after I bought the Lloyd pans. I did have someone accidentally scrub the %$# out of it in the sink at some point and then I tried to reseason it but kept ending up with a bunch of chipping. I have a dilemma because I need to bring my total up to about 70 or 80 pans. Don't want to buy more Lloyd if they're gonna cause issues.  I think I'll buy another one of these pre-seasoned pans and see if I can get it right.

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 05:27:40 PM »
What tool are you using the remove the Pizza.  If you are using a square spatula some of those have a beveled end and also edges that can scrape the pan.  I use  a 8" bakers spatula with rounded end, Dexter has these.  On a side note, when working to release press down on the cheese at the edge not the pan, then slide the spatula along the edge, you don't want to be chipping along the edge, slide it while moving up and down in a cutting motion keeping the spatula end below the top cheese line.  The rounded edge prevents scraping and technique will assist with not damaging the coating.  The Dexters are nice because the spatula is light and flexible and doesn't naturally apply too much pressure against the pan.  Spatula is very thin as well.  I use the 8" dexter bakers spatula and Tuff Coat pans.

I was using a putty knife. I bought a baker's spatula with rounded edges, it wasn't 8" though, the blade was probably 4" or so. I found the blade to be a bit too bendy where it would bow too much. I liked it because it had rounded edges and I thought my people would be less likely to damage the pan that way as you say. I'll revisit with a bigger spatula to see if that helps. appreciate the advice

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 05:28:29 PM »
I break them free with an inexpensive putty knife from Ace Hardware, they are super thin and work great on steel or Lloyd DS pans.

Thanks Hans, I was using a putty knife, but it looks like the one you use is thinner. I may try finding a thinner one to see if it helps.

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »
Have any of you tried the process that Lloyd's suggest where you rub salt on the pan? sounds risky but was wondering if it helped anyone.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 09:51:46 PM »
Have any of you tried the process that Lloyd's suggest where you rub salt on the pan? sounds risky but was wondering if it helped anyone.

Lloyd says that it's: Permanent stick-resistant coating Will not chip, peel or flake off. Metal utensil safe.

So salt shouldn't harm it.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 10:34:30 PM »
NOOOO

A putty tool is not a spatula!!  Its a scraping tool (scraping  - get it?).  Awesome for paint removal and scraping off stuff that can't be removed but using it on a pizza pan is not a good idea if you want those pans to last.  They have sharp edges and the end is pretty sharp too.  You want to slide the spatula not use a chipping tool to hammer away at the cheese...

On a side note they are not NSF approved, so not to be used commercially.

You guys are killing me.....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:39:28 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 11:28:43 PM »
So Turpentine would be a no no?  ;D

As a home user I hated the Lloyd pan.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 09:34:47 AM »
NOOOO

A putty tool is not a spatula!!  Its a scraping tool (scraping  - get it?).  Awesome for paint removal and scraping off stuff that can't be removed but using it on a pizza pan is not a good idea if you want those pans to last.  They have sharp edges and the end is pretty sharp too.  You want to slide the spatula not use a chipping tool to hammer away at the cheese...

On a side note they are not NSF approved, so not to be used commercially.

You guys are killing me.....

They work perfectly. Get it?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:11:56 PM by HansB »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 07:32:49 PM »
They work perfectly. Get it?

I looked on line for usages of the putty knife and surprisingly none of them mentioned this purpose. Huh, thatís odd, maybe itís a secret kitchen tool. Next time Iím shopping for kitchen tools Iíll check out Home Depot first.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 09:25:45 PM »
Next time I’m shopping for kitchen tools I’ll check out Home Depot first.

Now you're thinking!

https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0?t=33

https://youtu.be/qS9CY82pQeg?t=2738
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:48:12 PM by HansB »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 11:54:17 PM »
That was pretty funny, the amazing part is Jeff handled that pizza like an amateur.  Fumbled with the tools he had, picked up one grabbed another, tired one then the other, literally had to pick up the ends as if they needed to be checked, rotated the pan too muchÖ  Finally he gets the courage to use his putty knife and pull the pizza outÖunreal.  If he used the right tool and technique it would have been out in 5-7 seconds, bakers spatula goes in once and comes out once, instead he chips alwayÖ.also those are blue steel pans and take more of a beating than a Lloydís.

If people like a putty knife use it and damage the pans along the way, use the right tool and technique and avoid it allÖ

Offline Pizzabobs143

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »
Hi Guys, I've been making DSP pies for about 6 months on my food truck. I have about 40 Lloyd's pans. The pans seem to be sticking more and more. The sticking occurs only where the cheddar rim is. We use crisco to coat the pans before we pan the dough. We tried to just chisel out the cheese and avoid washing the pans to see if they would get better at not sticking, but the opposite seems to be happening. I then washed the pans in warm soapy water, they worked better with less sticking for one use. But even so, the release was nothing like what you might see with a seasoned steel round pan - I still had to chisel the pizzas out somewhat.

Any ideas? Has anyone put these DSP lloyd pans into production with regular use and avoided this issue? Plz help! Thx

Random question how long are you letting them rise the 2nd time around? Also are you adding any flour and stretching them? As stretching them in straight oil is a chore.

I couldnít get Lloyd pans as Iím overseas so we created some regular aluminum pans they work like a charm and you donít have to worry about coatings no coatings.

Weíre not even using crisco or margarine just brushing some oil on the bottom, pans arenít even seasoned.

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
Iíve done everything from 2 to 8 hours for the second rise. Doesnít seem to make a difference. Iíd be curious to see pics of your pizza and pans.
Random question how long are you letting them rise the 2nd time around? Also are you adding any flour and stretching them? As stretching them in straight oil is a chore.

I couldnít get Lloyd pans as Iím overseas so we created some regular aluminum pans they work like a charm and you donít have to worry about coatings no coatings.

Weíre not even using crisco or margarine just brushing some oil on the bottom, pans arenít even seasoned.

Offline Pizzabobs143

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »
Iíve done everything from 2 to 8 hours for the second rise. Doesnít seem to make a difference. Iíd be curious to see pics of your pizza and pans.

Iíll have to take some pictures the pizzas come out amazing with direct from storage into pan with a 15m - 2hr rise. Super fluffy amazing dough.

The pans are 8x10 silver aluminum, Iíll take some pictures tomorrow and update.

wordpress