A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Got my gasfired outdoor oven! Rec's on recipe/books for more than Pizza & Bread?  (Read 314 times)

Offline msk6261

• I Love Pizza!
I would love to use my new Pizza oven for more than just pizza and bread.
Anyone know of the best resources for techniques and recipes for menus, appetizers, sides and other dishes we can make in our oven?

edit:
Partially answering my own question and partially explaining why I asked it:

A few years back, there was a restaurant in a town just north of SF called Molina. It was a smallish Chef-owned venue which he had taken over from a former Wood fire Pizza restaurant. From that, he developed his technique that cooked almost all the main dishes in cast iron pans in that oven. He must have slept well at night because it looked exhausting but was fascinating to watch. It required constant observation, movement and heat management of each pan/dish in the oven.The food was spectacular. I assume it would be much less stressful but equally delicious to prepare just one meal at a time in my oven at home?

I did find the type of cooking I am interested in experimenting with, on the website of a manufacturer that produces an Italian oven similar in type to mine: 

https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/blogs/news/tagged/meat

I see some fabulous options there. This technique needs to bit different as the heat comes from both the top and bottom.
Would love to find a cookbook with this in mind

The oven I purchase was a splurge so I would like to make it as useful for as many meals as I can conjure up. I love to experiment.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:10:57 PM by msk6261 »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Depending on the oven, most anything. Casseroles, chickens, turkeys, etc.
Big issues would be temperature control, and worrying about spills on the stone, or a container that can't hold up to the heat and crack, or melt.

Also have to rotate to avoid burning.

A lot of concerns for me, at least, which is why I use mine strictly for pizza.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline msk6261

• I Love Pizza!
Depending on the oven, most anything. Casseroles, chickens, turkeys, etc.
Big issues would be temperature control, and worrying about spills on the stone, or a container that can't hold up to the heat and crack, or melt.

Also have to rotate to avoid burning.

A lot of concerns for me, at least, which is why I use mine strictly for pizza.

Please read my edit. thanks

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
You already have many ideas in the link you shared indeed. What kind of pizza oven are we talking about? 1m - 1.2m diameter brick oven? Portable stainless steel gas oven (e.g. Roccbox etc)? Or large stainless steel WFO like in the link?

Pizza likes direct radiation heat because it's thin. Too much radiation heat on a thick product and it's charred on the outside and raw on the inside, obviously.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Depending on your oven, I think pretty much anything you could make in a regulars oven could be made in a WFO. I'm not sure how well everything I'm going to say translates to a gas oven. Just keep in mind not everything can be done at pizza temps. With the gas, I would imagine you have some decent temperature control.

I've been making the Thanksgiving turkey in there for the last few years. Spatchcocked and slides right in on a sheet pan. Once baked off a tray of cookies using the residual heat. I've done roasts, ribs, and baked potatoes. I've been putting those on a rack in a sheet pan to get them off the floor a little. When I make a clam pizza, I put the extra clams in a steel pan, slide it in the oven and pull the pan as soon as the clams open. They are really good. Splash of wine an some garlic work with that too.

Depending on your entry/opening, a nice Tuscan grill can slide in there. Was having a conversation yesterday with someone and I'm thinking about getting one myself. That's not one for gas. Not sure if your oven can do that or maybe it can be dual fuel.

Just some ideas, but with some temperature control, it is a big oven. Someone on the Forno Bravo forum that used residual heat for a lot of braises posted that his wife called the oven "the biggest crock pot she'd even seen."

Also, welding gloves are nice for helping to get things in and out of the oven. I usually use them and a small towel to grab a pan.

Edit: also wireless digital thermometers are nice too. I can have the turkey in the oven and see the temperature inside the house.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T