A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: caputo 00, high temp oven, dough recipe  (Read 3585 times)

Offline greekgazoo

caputo 00, high temp oven, dough recipe
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
i have been a long time reader of this site and now need some advice.

my friend has recently built a brick oven for pizza making. we have only made pizza's in a normal home oven before (@ 550*). we will now be able to make pizza's in the 850*-900* range. we will be using caputo 00 flour that we got at penn mac in Pittsburgh (the red bag, 2.2 lbs).

I would love some advice on a dough recipe and on hydration factors to use for using this caputo 00 flour. i have been reading all sorts of variations that people have been using, from 54% all the way to 63%. i am planning on using a cold fermentation (over night). i also expect to use bakers yeast (unless you think ADY or IDY would be better). any advice you could share would be WONDERFUL !!!!

i cant find a consensus on a good dough recipe.

also, i would imagine the only ingredients we will be using are classic Neapolitan style (flour, yeast, water and salt).

thanks everyone !!!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: caputo 00, high temp oven, dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
Here is my recipe, which is standard VPN except for refrigeration.

For six 280 gram balls:

Flour (100%):    1029.41 g  |  36.31 oz | 2.27 lbs
Water (60%):    617.65 g  |  21.79 oz | 1.36 lbs
IDY (.2%):    2.06 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.68 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
Salt (3%):    30.88 g | 1.09 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.43 tsp | 2.14 tbsp
Total (163.2%):   1680 g | 59.26 oz | 3.7 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   280 g | 9.88 oz | 0.62 lbs

Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour

1. Dissolve salt in water.

2. Sprinkle in IDY and stir to dissolve.

3. Immediately dump in all the flour (or you could do 75% and rest - I found it did not matter at all).

4. Mix on slow speed for 5-7 minutes (I have a Kitchen Aid w/dough hook).

5. Let rest 10 minutes covered, and then mix for a few seconds to get it back in shape.

6. Ball

7. Refrigerate for 24-48 hours (2 days is better, but not essential)

8. Take out at room temp for around 6 hours, depending on room temp - hotter room temp would be closer to 3 hours.

John

Offline MD205

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
John,

Are your pizzas 10 inch rounds based on your recipe?  How many ounces is each ball when you're ready to begin cooking.

Do you use fresh mozz, if so, is it refrigerated and do you cut it into cubes or thick slices?

thanks for your help.

Marianne

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Marianne - The pizza's are 11-12", and I have never weighed the dough balls right before they went into the oven. When they are made, they are weighed at 280 grams.

For mozz, I buy fresh Calabro Fiore di Latte or sometimes Bufalus mozzarella di bufala. It is refrigerated until use (but usually used the same day as purchase). I cut it into 3/4 - 1in cubes, and let it drain on a paper towel for an hour or so before use.

John

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
round 250 -265 Grams each I dont use the OZ. I random chunk the mozz by hand?  kinda tear it off the ball and DRAIN the water off on paper towel for a few hours.
also geek very simple strart is the dough recipe on FornoBravo.com its a good start and will give yu a feel for how wet this dough is.
Good Luck
John
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:42:06 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline MD205

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
John,

Why IDY as opposed to ADY?  I've never used IDY.  Do you have to let IDY activate like with ADY?

Thanks- Marianne

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
The IDY is strictly for convenience, as it can be added straight to the dough mix.

John

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:36 AM »
I now us ADY hydrated in warm water looking to try the cake yeast but cant find a local supplier.
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »
I now us ADY hydrated in warm water looking to try the cake yeast but cant find a local supplier.
JOhn

Do you have a Restaurant Depot near you they sell fresh yeast in 1lb blocks for $1. You can ask for a day pass. If you have a tax ID# you can open an account for free.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 07:07:25 AM »
Do you have a Restaurant Depot near you they sell fresh yeast in 1lb blocks for $1. You can ask for a day pass. If you have a tax ID# you can open an account for free.

Do they also sell caputo, sm tomatoes, etc? I have been wanting to try fresh yeast for some time, and there is a location quite close to me.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »
John they don't sell Caputo. They have a brand or two of SM but they aren't good. They do have a good selection of cheese though like pecorino, parmigiano, BelG fresh Mozz ex. The best place to go for Caputo($31) and SM tomatoes is Accardi Foods in Medford, that's where I get my flour and SM tomatoes from. They have everything you would need they are a Italian foods importer they also have the Bufula mozz that Matt used that comes frozen.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
John they don't sell Caputo. They have a brand or two of SM but they aren't good. They do have a good selection of cheese though like pecorino, parmigiano, BelG fresh Mozz ex. The best place to go for Caputo($31) and SM tomatoes is Accardi Foods in Medford, that's where I get my flour and SM tomatoes from. They have everything you would need they are a Italian foods importer they also have the Bufula mozz that Matt used that comes frozen.

Thanks very much!

wordpress