A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Favorite Hot Sauce...Homemade, Commercial Or Any Mix/Blend  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Favorite Hot Sauce...Homemade, Commercial Or Any Mix/Blend
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:08 AM »
Now I love hot sauce but it must be a nice balance of savory, citrus, sweet, vinegar, spices, herbs and of course heat. The higher level of the other listed ingredients the higher level of heat it can bear without being insulting to the palate. Now I can take a very high level of heat, but if it's JUST heat, it does not satisfy as much and that capsaicin extract stuff is just nasty and has that chemical after taste that I find very off putting. Now as I said, if there's a contest of taking it, I will finish in the head of the pack, but for REAL enjoyment, things must be right and balanced! Probably my favorite store bought/commercial is Melinda's Original Habanero XXXXtra Reserve Hot Sauce http://hotsaucezone.com/product/melindas-original-habanero-xxxxtra-reserve-hot-sauce/. First tried this in MX and fell in love, and of course habs are my favorite pepper, they have that floral/citrussy back note that few other peppers have. Presently for my blend of sauces I love is Frank's Hot sauce and Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce mixed 50/50 with 1-2 tablespoons of Aleppo Chili Flakes mixed in, a little chopped habs to taste and a little honey to taste. I mix it all up in an empty plastic Coke or water bottle and shake the hell out of it. You will LOVE this mix and bastardize as you see fit but it is a REALLY good go to blend from buffalo wings to everything else.
What's everyone's favorite hot sauce condiment elixir of choice??????? Let's get a good list going for all of us Chili Heads to try out!!!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: Favorite Hot Sauce...Homemade, Commercial Or Any Mix/Blend
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:30:19 AM »
This probably sounds very pedestrian but my favorite hot sauce is Crystal Sauce. Not as hot as Tabasco, it jas a rwally nice flavor that's good on almost anything.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:51:54 AM »
I have an entire shelf in my fridge full of different hot sauces - it's a bit of an obsession of mine!

Personal favourites are habanero and chipotle flavours. As with Jon, I don't like anything made with extract - that just seems to be heat for heat's sake without any concern for flavour.

I also like to make my own sauces ( I grow chillis hydroponically most years) and a particular favourite is:

Mango Habanero Garlic Hot Sauce (recipe from my notes)
1 large head of garlic
1 Orange pepper - chopped and deseeded
2 Rocoto Orange chillis - chopped and deseeded
8 Habanero chillis - chopped and deseeded
1 large Mango
Apple Cider Vinegar
Cane Sugar
Lemon juice

Blend everything in a food processor, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 25 minutes, then pour into sterilised bottles.

This one has a beautiful blend of fruit flavour, tartness and heat.

A favourite commercial sauce is Palo Alto Firefighters Sauce. This is a pretty mild red sauce that just has a great flavour. Very good for people that don't like too much heat - my kids use it like ketchup!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:32 AM »
I've been a Crystal fan for years for the same reason as @tinroofrushed stated above, it actually has some taste and not just heat.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
Pizza + Tabasco =

[ Anonymized URL Blocked ]

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
I use Tabasco in place of salt.  My favorite, although hard to find, is Maya-ik green from Guatemala.  It has a spectacular flavor and enough heat that I can use it as a hot sauce.  I brought back a case when I went to Guatemala, but it didn't last long.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
In my fridge, I keep Sriracha, Frank's, Cholula and...Texas Pete (for the GF).
I also keep a steady supply of pepper relishes and chipotle in adobo.
Mike's Hot Honey in the cabinet.
Dozens of pepper plants outside.
Practice makes pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:06 AM »
Fresh jalapeno sliced and lightly salted. I hardly ever eat a bite of meat without it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »
This probably sounds very pedestrian but my favorite hot sauce is Crystal Sauce. Not as hot as Tabasco, it jas a rwally nice flavor that's good on almost anything.

I keep a bottle of crystal's for when my brother is over...he loves the stuff!  As for me depends on the mood...Dave's Insanity when I need some really hot chili, tabasco for eggs (the green tabasco is really good), or when the weather is cold and I make a good chicken soup I like to use a jalapeno sauce, or better yet, if there is any left, I use "Beer and Brat" mustard, and WOW does that have some bite!   
tom

Offline Trinity

• Lifetime Member
  • Extra cheese please!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
Taco Bell Mild Sauce.
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
Taco Bell Mild Sauce.

I think they changed it a few months ago? Have you noticed a change in the taste? I ued to like the flavor of the mild more than the hot, but now I prefer the hot, and the mild tastes a little different to me. Maybe they changed packers?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
For Bloody Marys - Tabasco Habanero for the kick and flavour, plus some Tabasco Chipotle for the smokiness. Yum.

Oh - and I nearly forgot....a good Sambal Oelek for, well.....lots of things really. But not Bloody Marys.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Ever since I was a kid, living in Pico Rivera,CA. My aunt used it on her tacos and I still use it when I want a GREAT tasting, spicy mexican sauce. NO VINEGAR.

Pico Pica hot

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
On hand at all times: Frank's, Tabasco, and Sriracha.  Others vary according to whim and availability.

Jalapeno and serrano peppers through the growing season, which is pretty long in SC.  When the crop gets ahead of me I slice and pickle the peppers for lean times.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
I've never been a big fan of sriracha. It's OK, but never seems particularly flavourful. Kind of "meh" to me.....but better than nothing.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
Ok , I wasnt going to post this because technically its buffalo sauce, not hot sauce, but since everyone is posting any sauce they can think of with "heat' this is the wing sauce I am using as a "base"...its cheap, has great flavor "as is" not too hot, so you can adjust heat level, and is not watery. Dont knock it untill you try it, its Dollar Tree brand stuff.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
The only two I like are original Tabasco and Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno  http://www.azgunslinger.com/index.php?p=product&id=13

I generally prefer fresh hot chiles to anything prepared/processed, but those two have a permanent spot in my kitchen. 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »
Ok , I wasnt going to post this because technically its buffalo sauce, not hot sauce, but since everyone is posting any sauce they can think of with "heat' this is the wing sauce I am using as a "base"...its cheap, has great flavor "as is" not too hot, so you can adjust heat level, and is not watery. Dont knock it untill you try it, its Dollar Tree brand stuff.

Hmmmm, will watch for that one. Looks close to a Frank's, Crystal or 'Louisiana' Hot Sauce all of which are very similar (cayenne) but each one has a different tweak/twang to it. I prefer the Frank's etc., vs the Tobasco line because it's too vinegary, which is weird because I love vinegar???

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Hmmmm, will watch for that one. Looks close to a Frank's, Crystal or 'Louisiana' Hot Sauce all of which are very similar (cayenne) but each one has a different tweak/twang to it. I prefer the Frank's etc., vs the Tobasco line because it's too vinegary, which is weird because I love vinegar???

jon
Thats odd, I think franks is too vinegary and a bit too hot to use as is. What I like about the dollar tree stuff is its pretty thick so you can give a wing a nice coat. If you want to add some extra flavor you can do a 1:1 ratio of sauce and margarine/butter, and its very mild at that point so you can add heat from anything from cayenne, jalapeno, habanero...ect...ect and it wont kill your tastebuds.

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:47 AM »
I prefer the Frank's etc., vs the Tobasco line because it's too vinegary, which is weird because I love vinegar???

jon

^^^  I keep it (Tabasco) almost exclusively to use in E. Carolina barbecue sauce for pulled pork.  Which we do often.  :drool: