A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Favorite Hot Sauce...Homemade, Commercial Or Any Mix/Blend  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Favorite Hot Sauce...Homemade, Commercial Or Any Mix/Blend
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
^^^  I keep it (Tabasco) almost exclusively to use in E. Carolina barbecue sauce for pulled pork.  Which we do often.  :drool:

Have you tried Scott's BBQ Sauce......Wonderful for that E Carolina Vinegar thing. Always have some in the fridge. And their prices REALLY hard to beat!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
My favorite that can be accessed domestically will always be Sriracha.  However, while I was in Vietnam I was able to get an amazing hot sauce that I can't place the name of.  I think it was called Gatsu or something, but that just doesn't sound right.

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
Have you tried Scott's BBQ Sauce......Wonderful for that E Carolina Vinegar thing. Always have some in the fridge. And their prices REALLY hard to beat!!

jon

jon,

Thanks for the tip on Scott's BBQ sauce.  I'll give it a try, although most folks here in the Carolinas would classify it as a Western North Carolina Carolina sauce since it has tomato in it.

My favorite Eastern North Carolina is as follows:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

(Map credit: amazingribs.com)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:29:19 PM by Chifunda »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
I'll give it a try, although most folks here in the Carolinas would classify it as a Western North Carolina Carolina sauce since it has tomato in it.

Scott's Barbecue Sauce has vinegar, salt, peppers, spices. No tomato. It is pure Eastern Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce.
I've been cooking with it since the 1970's.
I know Mr. Martel Scott and his son, and ate at his restaurant, while open, on George Street in Goldsboro NC for decades.
I built Scott's first website back in the 1990's and I can assure you, there are NO tomatoes in this product.
Practice makes pizza

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
Scott's Barbecue Sauce has vinegar, salt, peppers, spices. No tomato. It is pure Eastern Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce.
I've been cooking with it since the 1970's.
I know Mr. Martel Scott and his son, and ate at his restaurant, while open, on George Street in Goldsboro NC for decades.
I built Scott's first website back in the 1990's and I can assure you, there are NO tomatoes in this product.

Imagine my embarrassment.  :-[ I visited the Scott's website and based on the photo of their product, assumed that there was some sort of tomato included in their sauce.  My apologies to Mr. Scott, his son and any other members of the Scott family I may have offended by saying their BBQ sauce was a Western North Carolina style.  Hell, I might as well have called them yankees! :-D

I played a high school football game in Goldsboro, NC in 1961, but never had the pleasure of eating barbecue there.  ;D

Thanks for setting me straight.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »
jon,

Thanks for the tip on Scott's BBQ sauce.  I'll give it a try, although most folks here in the Carolinas would classify it as a Western North Carolina Carolina sauce since it has tomato in it.

My favorite Eastern North Carolina is as follows:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

(Map credit: amazingribs.com)

Vinegar, water, sat, pepper, and spices, just looked at the back label. No tomatoes in Scott's so it's very similar to what you are listing there too. I have added it too a tomato based sauce to knock down the sweet thing a bit but it has no tomatoes of it's own so you would definitely like it.

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
Thanks again, Jon.  I'll make a point of tracking it down.

Offline JHutchins

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
I think Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce is very good. I've found a lot of uses for it. On chicken wings, I love Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic sauce.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
My tastes are pretty pedestrian.  Good old Tabasco, or Franks, depending.

One of the small pleasures (?) of C - Rations (long time ago, they still had cigarettes in them) was pouring on hot sauce swiped from a mess tent.  It came in a bottle with an O.D. label the read something like:

"Hot Sauce
Field Type
One Each"

really.

Hadn't thought about that in quite awhile........

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 03:37:09 AM »
I always have a crapload of hot sauces in the fridge.  I'm a big fan of habanero for flavor.  One standby worth mentioning is Cholula.  It doesn't stand out on its own, but it really enhances whatever you add it to.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 10:41:03 PM »
HUZZAH!!!! New shipment of Melinda's just arrived!!!!!😋😋😋
Jon

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 08:07:00 AM »
After trying way too many different hot sauces over the years, I now only keep these in stock. And Tajin is always nice to have around.

Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
HUZZAH!!!! New shipment of Melinda's just arrived!!!!!😋😋😋

I like the XXX.
Went to a  Spicy Food convention 2 years ago, went the the Melinda's booth, asked for XXX, and they were out.  ???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After trying way too many different hot sauces over the years, I now only keep these in stock. And Tajin is always nice to have around.

I like the Tajin on watermelon.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 11:56:41 AM »
Chipotles in adobo.
John