A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 4 hour Pizza alla Pala  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: 4 hour Pizza alla Pala
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
Love red onions, family doesn't much like them. Thinking tonight I will sneak a few in. Thanks for the idea.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
I made this (almost the same recipe, but slightly different dough formula). It was about a 4 hour rise at room temp (2 hours bulk, 2 hours ball) and baked on parchment on a stone at bottom of oven at 290C for 9 minutes and then 3 minutes on the top stone with broil. I was very pleased with the texture, but I did overcook the bottom a bit. Overall very nice to be able to do this so quickly. Also in my experience, I get a much nicer rise cooking on the stone as opposed to in the Teglia.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2020, 05:12:54 AM »
And your judgement?  4 hours is ok, no?

I find them very tasty and don't suffer from thirst or indigestion.  It's also great to decide in the afternoon to make a pala and to have it finished in the evening.

Mind sharing the difference in formula?

Edit: Yes prefer it directly on the stone as opposed to using a teglia (pan).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:14:47 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
All good with the digestion - I'm not seeing any major difference.

My recipe was from Jim Lahey's Sullivan Street Bakery:

500g flour
400g water (originally 440g, but I don't want to go above 80% hydration)
5g salt
5g sugar
1.5g IDY

Mixed about 1 minute on low to combine ingredients in KA with paddle hook. Then switched to maximum for about 3 minutes until the dough detached from the sides. I find it so easy to make this dough in the KA - it is much easier to tell when it's done compared to using a spiral because it detaches completely from the sides and then you can just stop the mixer. I gave it 3 sets of stretch folds spaced out about 5-10 minutes apart. Not in the recipe but I wanted the extra strength.

In the end, I think the sugar is not really needed - too easy to burn the bottom at high temps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:16:42 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
Yes, I finally found a use for my KA when baking pizza! :D

It's really an easy and fast way to make high hydration dough, still it does need more work on the bench to really close the dough.  I find that with some experience you feel how many folds it needs.

I've never used sugar for teglia/pala, don't think it's needed.  I've used it a couple of times for focaccia which gave it a nice color, but probably a matter of taste and objective.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »
Speaking of which, I just saw your Focaccia Genovese - really good job on that one!
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Thanks!

That one had some sugar as I didn't have any malt.  IIRC it was also just a few hours and not days, was also digestible! :D
Jack

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »
Jack, thinking back to my last try, I think the sugar can be skipped but the 1% salt is actually really nice. It's a bit more bland and simple tasting but super fluffy and the coarse salt and percorino romano that's on top of the crust balances out the milder interior. Really nice effect.

By the way, I used your oregano, black pepper and romano topping and it's brilliant!
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2020, 05:52:59 AM »
It's not really mine, I got it from the Confraternity's Priore.  He calls it POP (pecorino, oregano, pepper).

It is indeed an excellent combination, maybe you don't really need salt as pecorino can be very salty.  Another combination I really like is rosemary, EVO and rough salt crystals.
Jack

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »

Made this again but with a standard 80% hydrated Pizza in Teglia formula, 46h bulk in fridge, 5h ball room temp. Both bulk and ball were tripled.

This was mixed in the spiral mixer and I have to admit the honeycomb is a lot better.
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2020, 03:21:39 AM »
Very nice, the structure is looking good!
Jack

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »
Thanks!
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
I wanted to make a pizza in teglia for the November challenge, so I went with this dough.

325g flour (200g Caputo saccorosso, 125g Caputo tipo 1)
260g water (80%)
10g salt (3.1% - 40g/l)
5g EVO (1.5% - 20 g/l)
4.5g fresh CY (1.4%)

I made the dough in my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment.  Everything in the bowl, then 10s on the slowest speed and 4m on the highest speed.  I stopped the mixer when the dough had gotten to the point that it pulled away from the bowl.  Then a pause of 20m and then again 10s at the highest speed.

I got the dough out of the bowl onto my work bench and did some slap and folds with it.  Waited 10m and made some coil folds, again a 10m wait and I divided the dough into two of roughly 290g and repeated the folding and wait a few times.  When I thought it was getting strong enough I did some final folds on top of flour and put the 2 doughs in oiled containers.  I let the dough rise for roughly another 3 hours so I guess about 4 hours in total (I forgot to time the process).

In the mean time I filled an oven tray with date tomatoes (pomodoro daterino), sprinkled some salt over it, and then added a good amount of EVO.  I baked them at 200C for 30m, at 175C for 30m, at 150C for 30m, at 125C for 30m and finally at 100C for 15m. I also added 2 garlic gloves in their shell for maybe 15-20m.

I also fried a largish zucchini in EVO, then pureed it and the 2 garlic cloves with a stick mixer, and I toasted some pine nuts with some salt in a frying pan.

When I judged the dough ready I opened the first one on my marble top using 00 flour, I moved it into the 30x40cm pan and managed to stretch it nearly to the full size.  I topped it with finely sliced red onion and sprinkled EVO over it.  Then I opened the second dough and placed it on top.  Again EVO spread over the top and baked for about 10 minutes in my p134h, I used the biscotto and set the upper thermostat to 250C and the lower to 350C.  When I took it out I took the 2 layers apart and put them on a rack to get some more crunch.

After it cooled down a bit I spread the crema di zucchini over the lower layer, sprinked it with salt and peperoncino flakes, then I added the dried tomatoes, I added a good amount of the EVO from the oven dried tomatoes, and finally the toasted pine nuts and a ball of mozarella di bufala.  Finally I closed the pizza with the second sheet.

For some reason the pine nuts and the tomatoes weren't all that present, and the ensemble reminded me a bit about orecchiette al broccoli e peperoncioni.  Still it was quite tasty and I'm happy with the result.

Some photos:

Jack

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
Nice result Jack, and thank you for the details! (you even give the quantities according to the liter of water, yes I noticed  ;D)

I've been lurking zucchini sauce for pizza basis recently, I want to try and develop a series of other sauces using ingredients I can easily find here (zucchini, broccoli, carrot, eggplant...). I remember having tried some Italian (commercial) products like asparagus cream; artichoke cream; also dairy ones like gorgonzola and mozzarella creams... It's awesome. But from the tests I made before, I could get the right texture and flavor, I need to work in it!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
I tried one out in the Anova Precision Oven with 4 minutes steam @ 50% and then another 10 minutes no steam at 482F, which is as hot as it gets. I used a baking stone which didn't really get up to temp before my patience ran out so the bottom wasn't as baked as I wanted it to be. Forgot the crumb photo, but it was very light and had a nice pull to it. We devoured it with dinner.

Need to rethink strategy. I will note however that with my recently acquired bag of Semolina I had no trouble going from counter to peel.